The Student Room Group

What are my chances to get into these universities?

Hi all. I've already sent the UCAS application. However, now at the moment, I'm wondering what are the chances of me getting into the universities I applied to.

First of all I applied for chemical engineering & biotechnology in Cambridge, chemical engineering for Imperial, UCL, Edinburgh, and Manchester.

The predicted grade sent to these schools is 44 with HL of physics, chem, math aa (all 7s).

My IGCSE grades aren't that great due to the non-exam route (COVID) . The grade in bracket was the expected grade from my school.
Math - A* (A*), Add Math - A (A*), CS - A (A*), English Lang - B (A), English Lit- B (A), Business Studies - B (A), Physics - 8 (9), Chem - 9 (9), Bio - 9 (9), Econ - 8 (9).

I participated in several UKMT IMC and SMC receiving all gold, some with full marks and also attended Hamilton, Maclaurin, BMO Round 1, receiving above merit for all of them.
I also participated in UKChO and got silver. Also attended BPhO and received Bronze I.

What do you guys think my chances of getting an offer from the universities I applied are? Also, is IGCSE grades really important compared to rest of the components (personal statement, predicted grade, NSAA)?
Reply 1
Compared to Oxford, Cambridge don't really focus as much on your GCSEs or in your case IGCSEs generally looking at them as an indicator in an overall holistic view of your entire application. Your IB scores are above the entry requirements so no need to really worry about that as much. In my opinion your chances can be considered to be quite achievable, and I would not put it past to get offers from most of the universities you have other than Cambridge.

For Cambridge any student with the grades and achievements you have would be considered, however, grades themselves don't guarantee entry and it will be a combination of them with factors such as your personal statement, definitely performance at interview, NSAA scores, as well as your comparison to other students that year. All in all, everyone has a chance to go to Cambridge if they have the grades, its just if they can put in the work and effort to prove their candidacy for an offer through interview, personal statements, etc.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending