The Student Room Group

What if i cant change course?

I have just finished a Foundation year at Newcastle University and i really liked it. Now i will progress onto the actual Electrical and Electronic course .

However now that i have finished the Foundation Year i dont want to do Electrical Engineering anymore, i want to do Mechanical because i liked the mechanical focused subjects more (eg Thermodynamics, Statics, Materials Science etc) and i did better in them than the electrical module in the exams. I also didnt really like the electrical practicals and lectures that much.

I talked to my Tutor and the Head of Mechanical engineering about switching course and he said he would try but he couldn't guarantee me a place until A-level results day because there were lots of applications.

Naturally im extremely nervous that i will not be allowed to transfer. I worried because i dont have any excitement for Electrical Engineering anymore and im worried that i wont be motivated to work hard if i have to do Electrical and i dont like it.

What should i do if i cant transfer? Im thinking i will just do the Electrical course for a month to see if i actually like it. If i dont like it im not sure what i will do...
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
Hi Grey Cat,

Always a tricky one, but it's really important to be on the right course - as a university lecturer and former head of student support, I've seen so many students in tears (and an academic mess!) due to making the wrong choice for them.

So firstly keep pestering re: the transfer - don't be too much of a pain though as they may not be quite as willing to be 'helpful' if you're stalking them down corridors (I've experienced this!)!! :wink: But do maintain that level of interest, and ensure your real passion for 'mechanical' comes through, ie. this is about passion for the subject and essential to your career path* not just 'studenty' indecision.

*Do have a chat with a careers advisor too - both to explore other 'ways' into your chosen career and to perhaps discuss whether sticking with 'electrical' would have an impact on you getting into a more 'mechanical' career, as it's often the core skills you develop as a student that are more important to an employer. I know you said you're getting grades in the latter, but is this re: the subjects or a skills issue that you could get help to address?

Yes, I agree with your thinking on the 'stick with it' for a couple of weeks - you might find you enjoy it or it might be possible to transfer then if someone on 'mechanical' leaves - but do be wary of any transfer deadlines: at our uni, you have to be in class by Week 3, so could you perhaps attend some of the 'mechanical' classes in the first couple of weeks too (best to get permission though!).

And finally, look at other options - could you go elsewhere to study it? Could you get a job/apprenticeship and study part-time (there are often more part-time uni places than full-time)? Could you work full-time for a while to build your CV and reapply for the course for next year? Between your tutor and careers, you should be able to discuss all these options in full.

Hope this helps? Take care and good luck...Helen :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Edu-Eye
Hi Grey Cat,

Always a tricky one, but it's really important to be on the right course - as a university lecturer and former head of student support, I've seen so many students in tears (and an academic mess!) due to making the wrong choice for them.

So firstly keep pestering re: the transfer - don't be too much of a pain though as they may not be quite as willing to be 'helpful' if you're stalking them down corridors (I've experienced this!)!! :wink: But do maintain that level of interest, and ensure your real passion for 'mechanical' comes through, ie. this is about passion for the subject and essential to your career path* not just 'studenty' indecision.

*Do have a chat with a careers advisor too - both to explore other 'ways' into your chosen career and to perhaps discuss whether sticking with 'electrical' would have an impact on you getting into a more 'mechanical' career, as it's often the core skills you develop as a student that are more important to an employer. I know you said you're getting grades in the latter, but is this re: the subjects or a skills issue that you could get help to address?

Yes, I agree with your thinking on the 'stick with it' for a couple of weeks - you might find you enjoy it or it might be possible to transfer then if someone on 'mechanical' leaves - but do be wary of any transfer deadlines: at our uni, you have to be in class by Week 3, so could you perhaps attend some of the 'mechanical' classes in the first couple of weeks too (best to get permission though!).

And finally, look at other options - could you go elsewhere to study it? Could you get a job/apprenticeship and study part-time (there are often more part-time uni places than full-time)? Could you work full-time for a while to build your CV and reapply for the course for next year? Between your tutor and careers, you should be able to discuss all these options in full.

Hope this helps? Take care and good luck...Helen :smile:

Thanks so much for the help! I am very stressed waiting to see if i can transfer so your advice helped me calm down a bit.

If i cant transfer and discover i definitely don't like the electrical engineering course i will try to transfer again before the deadline at my university. If all that fails i will get a job/apprenticeship for a year and re-apply next year (I hope i don't have to do this because i really don't want to wait another year!!!). I will also talk to a careers adviser and discuss my plans with my tutor.
Reply 3
Original post by GreyCat
Thanks so much for the help! I am very stressed waiting to see if i can transfer so your advice helped me calm down a bit.

If i cant transfer and discover i definitely don't like the electrical engineering course i will try to transfer again before the deadline at my university. If all that fails i will get a job/apprenticeship for a year and re-apply next year (I hope i don't have to do this because i really don't want to wait another year!!!). I will also talk to a careers adviser and discuss my plans with my tutor.

or instead you could transfer to another university and start right away.
Reply 4
Original post by a10
or instead you could transfer to another university and start right away.

I could, but i really like this university and have already spent a year here and know the lecturers and have friends here. I also dont want to leave my family.

Quick Reply

Latest