The Student Room Group

BREAKING NEWS: Passenger jet carrying hundreds crash lands at San Francisco airport

http://edition.cnn.com/2013/07/06/us/california-plane-incident/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

Wow, literally flew out of SFO the other day, was almost gonna see this. :eek:
Reply 1
Update at 3:35 p.m. ET.
"Everyone Seems Fine":

A man who says he was on board, Samsung executive David Eun, has tweeted that, "I just crash landed at SFO. Tail ripped off. Most everyone seems fine. I'm ok. Surreal..."

Initial reports indicate that most if not all passengers are fine.
Hopefully no one got seriously injured.
Reply 3
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-23214748
The pictures look horrifying, hope everyone got out OK
Reply 4
At least one person has died, so I think this is the first fatal accident for the 777.
Reply 5
BBC puts the figures as 2 deceased, 49 seriously injured and 190 walked away.
Kerch, depends whether you cound the technician who died in the 2001 refueling fire. Definitely the first fatal crash though.
Reply 6
No tail suggests high nose up attitude at touchdown, combined with the start of the debris trail at the threshold and it looks like a runway undershoot. Certainly in the speculation phase it looks very similar to the BA 777 crash at Heathrow a few years ago. So I'd put my money on either:

1) Pilot procedural or manual handling error (most of the landing aids on the runway were apparently inoperative at the time of the crash so it would be reasonable to assume the aircraft was being flown manually)

Or...

2) Another issue with engines not responding to a command for increased thrust on short final. With the threshold on the edge of the sea they'd presumably have had no option but to pitch up, stretch the glide and hope for the best in the final few seconds rather than pitching for best glide speed all the way down to the flare?

However...

1) You'd think a Boeing 777 crew wouldn't struggle with landing their plane in daylight with the reported weather conditions- good visibility, light winds and no clouds below 1600ft.

2) The BA jet was on RR engines and this aircraft was apparently on P&W's.

Hopefully the causes can be established and there isn't an underlying airworthiness issue with the worldwide 777 fleet- I'm in Australia right now and I'm booked to fly home on one in two weeks! :tongue:
Reply 7
Original post by Spridget
No tail suggests high nose up attitude at touchdown, combined with the start of the debris trail at the threshold and it looks like a runway undershoot. Certainly in the speculation phase it looks very similar to the BA 777 crash at Heathrow a few years ago. So I'd put my money on either:

1) Pilot procedural or manual handling error (most of the landing aids on the runway were apparently inoperative at the time of the crash so it would be reasonable to assume the aircraft was being flown manually)

Or...

2) Another issue with engines not responding to a command for increased thrust on short final. With the threshold on the edge of the sea they'd presumably have had no option but to pitch up, stretch the glide and hope for the best in the final few seconds rather than pitching for best glide speed all the way down to the flare?

However...

1) You'd think a Boeing 777 crew wouldn't struggle with landing their plane in daylight with the reported weather conditions- good visibility, light winds and no clouds below 1600ft.

2) The BA jet was on RR engines and this aircraft was apparently on P&W's.

Hopefully the causes can be established and there isn't an underlying airworthiness issue with the worldwide 777 fleet- I'm in Australia right now and I'm booked to fly home on one in two weeks! :tongue:

An undershoot at SFO involves hitting the rather substantial sea wall, which would explain the degree of damage to the tail of the aircraft. The LHR crash was from ice in the fuel system if I remember correctly, and the P&W engines were supposedly unaffected. The only reasonable explanations I can see are either an undiagnosed problem with the aircraft, which seems unlikely, or pilot error; that said, the airline said that both pilots are 'experienced veterans', and that there had been no reports of mechanical failures. No doubt we'll see soon enough!
Reply 8
We'll be seeing this on Air Crash Investigation in a year or so, I'd wager. A tragedy two people lost their lives, hopefully the injured passengers make a speedy recovery.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending