The Student Room Group

WWI A2 exam - poetry, prose and quotes

Scroll to see replies

OMG :eek3: GIVING MY EXAM TODAY ITS AS THOUGH!!!!!! thanks for all your help you lot especially that 'CATS..' mnemonic :yep:
hannah_103
is anyone else finding it impossible to remember all this information and wider reading stuff. There is so much to remember :s-smilie:

Nah not reli just break it down and take in a few info at a time trust me you'll be able to do it then take it as a story.:biggrin:
David BARTON, not Blunden!

Original post by kay123
okay going to add my bit now..

Strange Meeting By Susan Hill (writen in 1989) is a good example opf post war literature
some of the key ideas explored include-
1)Hill says in the Author's Notes that her novel is a "microcosm of the war" to create a "small world in the great would of the war"-she focusses on 2 main characters John Hilliard and David Blunden which makes it easier to communicate what the war was all about arther than taking a much larger perspective
2)the lack of understanding of the "coward complacence" as Sassoon puts it is another idea found in this novel-Hilliard goes home on leave and says "noone knew, nobody understood"
3)Hill talks about a key difference between the 'men' and the officers- "there was not the natural camaraderie to be found among the officers as there was among the men"
4) the maine events from the front line are described through Blunden's letters- ("you cannot imagine how we crave for the small everyday things"-just a little quote from one of his letters that you might want to include in the exam..)

That's the main points i picked up from reading this novel, im sure theres tonnes more..but nehow hope this has been helpful!
Reply 2063
Guys, the anthology I have to refer to in section B is Scars Upon My Heart and my teacher advised us to not use it as a wider reading link for section A. Is this true? Would you be penalised for it, becasue if women's views come up in the exam, I have very little to refer to.
Thanks x
Would anyone be able to post some notes about the Role and Purpose of some Main Characters?

We never covered this in class, and it seems to be essential to discuss in the essay.

For example, the purpose of Sheriff creating Raleigh's enthusiastic, youthful character was to represent what Stanhope used to be before the war damaged him. Raleigh is not in the play to be sweet and to make the audience feel sorry for the loss of young men, he is there to show the way the soldiers developed and how their personalities changed completely.
Original post by neemee
Guys, the anthology I have to refer to in section B is Scars Upon My Heart and my teacher advised us to not use it as a wider reading link for section A. Is this true? Would you be penalised for it, becasue if women's views come up in the exam, I have very little to refer to.
Thanks x

Yes, it is true, we not allowed to do that. My Lit teacher rang up the AQA exam board yesterday to ask. I'm doing the Wilfred Owen anthology for B and am only allowed the very rare reference of Owen's poetry (maybe when discussing typicality) in part A. Instead i am collected wider reading quotations from Siegfried Sassoon, Robert Graves, Jessie Pope, Scars Upon my Heart etc.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending