The Student Room Group

Unsure about my course; thinking of transferring

Hey everyone.

So I started on dietetics last year in September. For the most part everything was going well until my final exams of the year. I'm not sure what happened but I just became very unmotivated and essentially didn't study for any of them, so I ended up failing 4 out of 7. I will be able to do resits in late August/early September, but I've been thinking.

I really don't enjoy sciences. I've never been the type to be able to recite scientific knowledge, it doesn't come naturally. I have the intelligence but not the will, for that reason I typically do not excel in them. The only one I -can- do fairly well is biology, but even then I simply appreciate the complexity of nature and find it interesting, rather than wishing to know all the insides and out of our bodies. But other than that, I hate chemistry, and physics. I do love food and helping people but I'm realising that that's simply not enough for my course. I think I may have been scared of doing something else due to pressure to find something which I could rely on for financial stability later.

When I think about it, the thing I was really good at and that I genuinely enjoyed throughout my childhood and high school was writing, particularly creative writing, and I'm now considering transferring to English and Creative Writing.

Bit of a vent/rant, I know, but I'm wondering if anyone else has been in the same boat and made such a decision before who could give me their opinion on it.

TL;DR Got into science course; science doesn't motivate me. Enjoy creative arts, thinking of transferring.
Reply 1
Hey there,
I know I'm all the way out in Wales, but what the hell, I will give an opinion anyway. :smile:
I like biology too, but failed at the A-level hurdle. I do Creative Writing now at Lampeter uni. It's a great course, I'm happy. I think it's up to you to decide which way you want to go. In terms of work after uni, there is a lot of competition. I know that probably concerns you. But if you don't do what you love, you might feel sad and unsatisfied? If it is the science that bores you, you could always take home economics, or social health care? :smile: Not sure if this helps, but in my opinion you should go with your heart. Maybe you could use Creative Writing to write a biology book? :tongue:
You wont be able to 'transfer' from a science based couerse to English.
You''l have to start the course from scratch in Year 1.
Reply 3
Original post by GemmaBeaton
Hey there,
I know I'm all the way out in Wales, but what the hell, I will give an opinion anyway. :smile:
I like biology too, but failed at the A-level hurdle. I do Creative Writing now at Lampeter uni. It's a great course, I'm happy. I think it's up to you to decide which way you want to go. In terms of work after uni, there is a lot of competition. I know that probably concerns you. But if you don't do what you love, you might feel sad and unsatisfied? If it is the science that bores you, you could always take home economics, or social health care? :smile: Not sure if this helps, but in my opinion you should go with your heart. Maybe you could use Creative Writing to write a biology book? :tongue:

Actually, not as far as you think, I'm in Cardiff. :smile:
I'm still having a hard think. Writing is just something I've always loved, and literature too. One of my coursemates pointed out that the whole idea of changing course sort of hit me once I found out I'd failed so many of my exams, and it's common for people to think that they can't do something upon failure, which is very true as well. I'm going to take a look at my modules for next year to see if they become more interesting/motivating and perhaps dietetics in practice again to remind myself why I was interested in the first place.

Original post by returnmigrant
You wont be able to 'transfer' from a science based couerse to English.
You''l have to start the course from scratch in Year 1.

Sorry, I didn't realise transfer meant taking credits with you or something like that, I wouldn't expect not to start anywhere but from scratch, I understand that.
(edited 10 years ago)
Would you be looking at studying English ad creative writing t cardiff met? I'm going into my third yr if you have qs

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by jessiecardiff
Would you be looking at studying English ad creative writing t cardiff met? I'm going into my third yr if you have qs

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, that's the course I was interested in. But I decided to focus less on pursuing another course and simply going for resits. I talked to my coursemate and brother about it and the main points I picked up were that perhaps I was rushing into thinking I'm a failure and that I'm incapable of doing my course; in reality I was going through a pretty rough time with myself and incredibly stressed, the fact that I even got any marks probably says something about my capability, I just didn't study at all. Now I'm in a much better position to study, it may be summer, but that just means plenty more time and a much more relaxed atmosphere. I know I chose Dietetics for a reason and I still want to pursue it, next year looks like it'll be more interesting. That said, I still envy you guys doing English and Creative Writing because it seems like a very fun/interesting course and if I weren't doing Dietetics I think that's what I'd be doing. :smile: Thank you by the way!
Reply 6
I've had an idea. :biggrin:
You could always continue with your Dietetics course, finish it and graduate...Then on the side of trying to find work, you could apply for a part-time course for Creative Writing. I know Glamorgan Cardiff does a course there, it was the first place I applied to. :smile: So it wouldn't be too far for you to go, there's a train directly to the uni as I understand it...Or there was when I went to look around. Or, if you really love writing, just write something, then send it off to a potential publisher. You never know, you could become a published author without doing any degree related to it. Many authors don't have the Creative Writing degree after all. There are websites online that offer help with publishing advice, hiring agents and what-have-you. So, do what you love at the same time as doing Dietetics. :wink: Win-win. Also, you can get writers magazines that have little writing competitions in them. You can win prizes sometimes! I think there's one called writers weekly.
Good luck with your course, whatever you decide! :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending