The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website

Changing Course

I started a psychology course at Newcastle Uni in september 2022, and after completing first year i really don’t think it’s for me.

I’m seriously considering switching to a Law degree, are Newcastle Uni usually pretty flexible with switching course as long as you have the grades (which i do)?

Also, this may sound silly, but if they choose not to accept me into the law course, will i still have my place on the psychology course?

Thankyou!
Original post by aek113
I started a psychology course at Newcastle Uni in september 2022, and after completing first year i really don’t think it’s for me.

I’m seriously considering switching to a Law degree, are Newcastle Uni usually pretty flexible with switching course as long as you have the grades (which i do)?

Also, this may sound silly, but if they choose not to accept me into the law course, will i still have my place on the psychology course?

Thankyou!

Yes, they can't withdraw you from the course for just asking if you can swap to another course!

I'd suggest asking if you can swap internally rather than applying again through UCAS. They might tell you that you have to go through UCAS but you might be able to just do it internally and save yourself the hassle :smile:
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by artful_lounger
Yes, they can't withdraw you from the course for just asking if you can swap to another course!

I'd suggest asking if you can swap internally rather than applying again through UCAS. They might tell you that you have to go through UCAS but you might be able to just do it internally and save yourself the hassle :smile:

Thanks so much!!
I’ll look into in from tomorrow and contact someone, i wasn’t sure if having to apply through UCAS would mean i would have to withdraw first.

Thanks again!
Original post by aek113
Thanks so much!!
I’ll look into in from tomorrow and contact someone, i wasn’t sure if having to apply through UCAS would mean i would have to withdraw first.

Thanks again!

No, you can still apply through UCAS while on another course in general (exception: Oxbridge are a bit funny about it) :smile: You would just need to withdraw from the course in order to take up a new offer...but if it's at the same uni, usually that kind of thing would jujst be done as an internal change :redface:
Reply 4
Original post by artful_lounger
No, you can still apply through UCAS while on another course in general (exception: Oxbridge are a bit funny about it) :smile: You would just need to withdraw from the course in order to take up a new offer...but if it's at the same uni, usually that kind of thing would jujst be done as an internal change :redface:

Ah okay yes that makes sense, I’ll start the process tomorrow then.

Thanks for all the help!! q
Original post by aek113

Thankyou!

Hi @aek113

As you are a current student at Newcastle University, you may be able to change course via an internal transfer.

To discuss this and check whether it is possible, please get in touch with your Personal Tutor and the Degree Programme Director of our Law programme. They will be able to advise whether you would be able to make the change and the process of going through an internal transfer.

Hope this helps :smile:

Elliott
Reply 6
Original post by Newcastle University
Hi @aek113

As you are a current student at Newcastle University, you may be able to change course via an internal transfer.

To discuss this and check whether it is possible, please get in touch with your Personal Tutor and the Degree Programme Director of our Law programme. They will be able to advise whether you would be able to make the change and the process of going through an internal transfer.

Elliott

Hi thanks for the reply.

I just wanted to ask if asking about the possibility the change programme would hinder my request to repeat my first year on the current programme if i’m not allowed to change.

My mum passed away during my first term, and therefore i am looking to put in a request to repeat the year if i can’t change, however would also requesting a change completely make them look at my ask to repeat unfavourably.

Going straight into second year isn’t something i want to do so i don’t want to harm my chances of repeating if i can’t change.
Original post by aek113
Hi thanks for the reply.

I just wanted to ask if asking about the possibility the change programme would hinder my request to repeat my first year on the current programme if i’m not allowed to change.

My mum passed away during my first term, and therefore i am looking to put in a request to repeat the year if i can’t change, however would also requesting a change completely make them look at my ask to repeat unfavourably.

Going straight into second year isn’t something i want to do so i don’t want to harm my chances of repeating if i can’t change.

Hi @aek113, thanks for getting back in touch.

I am sorry to hear what you have been through in your first year.

A request to change course whilst a student will not affect a request to repeat your first year, if you are not able to change course.

If you are unsure about how to request to repeat your first year, please consult your Personal Tutor who will be able to advise you of the process.

Elliott

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending