The Student Room Group

Clipped a wing mirror

I was driving down a busy road today there was a small gap that I squeezed through as this van in the lane to the left of me was in my lane. Unfortunately I somehow clipped the car in front of the van at about 5 mph, I'm pretty sure there was no damage to the other car or to mine but I didn't manage to stop and swap details and the car behind me started beeping at me. What should I do now?
Reply 1
If the other is not damaged at all I personally wouldn't bother with it. To make sure your certain drive by the area (or walk) to make sure the car isn't damaged if it isn't your fine.

If it is damaged you can do the honourable thing and leave a note on the car with your number.

Hope this helps

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by marvelboy18
If the other is not damaged at all I personally wouldn't bother with it. To make sure your certain drive by the area (or walk) to make sure the car isn't damaged if it isn't your fine.

If it is damaged you can do the honourable thing and leave a note on the car with your number.

Hope this helps

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm fairly certain the other car wasn't damaged, the problem is the car wasn't parked and drove off. I feel really guilty as I didn't stop but it wouldn't have been practical to.
Reply 3
You couldn't stop, just leave it. If there was a problem you would have known about it at the time I suppose.
"well you see officer, I didn't stop when I hit that child as it was not convenient to do so as there were other drivers behind me."

BS excuse.

Very extreme example, but in the end you left the scene of an accident which is a criminal offense, although I highly doubt anything will ever come of it.
Reply 5
Its practical to stop anywhere to check if there was damage, just use your hazards lights. As said it is a offence to drive off from a accident however if they didn't stop to I guess you can get away with it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
If both you and the other car left the scene, then I don't think there is much that could help. What you could do is report the accident to the police (so if there is damage to the van, and they go to the police to report it, then you can be contacted), however I doubt think anything will come of it*.

*If however you ignore it and don't report it, and the van reports it to the police, and says they stopped somewhere but you had driven off, and they / a witness / CCTV have your licence plate; you will get done for leaving the scene of an accident. Very small chance of it happening, but do you want to run the risk?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending