The Student Room Group

A Level choices.

I'm currently in year 10 doing mountains of controlled assessments for my upcoming GCSEs.
I'm the sort of person who likes to look into things, for example I stayed up until 3am researching A Levels and what I think I might like to do. Not entirely sure why, but I did.

Anyway, today, I went to Bedfordshire University to look around as part of a free school trip, and it really opened my eyes to things such as what I want to do at A Level, how much I want to go to university and how I really want to decide what I want to do in terms of a career.
When I was researching A Levels, I came up with Spanish, because my family is Brazilian and they all speak Portuguese, which would help me understand them. Plus, I heard universities like languages, and I've always wanted to learn Spanish anyway.
English Lit., because I am predicted an A* in English GCSE, and I've aced every single piece of coursework I've got so far. Plus, I enjoy English in general.
And finally, psychology, because it's always interested me. I have a friend who does psychology and I always end up harassing her by asking her what she did in each lesson! I also think it'd be something I enjoy, and I actually would consider doing it as a career, however I'm not sure exactly what, and I'm a bit reluctant if it doesn't pay well (which is awful, but I would go nuts if I didn't live comfortably).
I have no clue what I want to do for a fourth.

I am tat at maths, I am predicted a B, but I don't think I'll get a B, if I'm honest. I am predicted A at science, and A* in English. I'm predicted A/A* in media studies, C in geography (I have a horrible teacher; I'm too scared to ask her questions), A in history and D in art (I hate it).

I know I'm going to be told that I'm too young to decide what I want to do at A Level, but I just really want to set myself for the future now. I am the kind of person to pre-prepare everything I do, so if I do psychology, I will attend extra lessons after school, even though I don't take it at GCSE. I'll also do extra Spanish, etc.

Down to the nitty gritty though, do you think these are good A Level choices? Can you recommend me a fourth, based upon predicted grades? Do you think I should take something else, or do you think I should drop a subject because it's useless? Are any of these subjects soft?
Sorry I have so many questions. It's just too early for anyone else to tell me! I just get the same answer; you're only year 10. I just want someone to give me the brutal, honest truth on the matter. I just prepare myself very early for these things.

Thank you!
In short you want to do English lit, Spanish, psychology
and are suggesting what else you should do?
I say leave that till you get your grades for the fourth one if you're undecided.

Depends what you want to be.
Reply 2
When you choose A-Levels, you should also think about what you want to do after A-Levels. For example, if you wanted to study English or Law at university, your combination (English Lit, Spanish, Psychology) would be fine and a good fourth subject would be History; if you wanted to study Psychology, you should do Biology as one of your main three subjects, and so on.

If you want to do Spanish A-Level you should do the GCSE now. By the way, Portuguese is offered as well, but perhaps not by any school near you.
Reply 3
Original post by Blueray2
I say leave that till you get your grades for the fourth one if you're undecided.

Thanks!

OP - you may (most probably actually) decide now and change your mind by the time you get to choosing your a levels.

Read some introduction books and specifications about the subjects you find interesting to give you an idea of what you'll most enjoy.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
History (modern/ancient - up to you) sounds like a good option, you said you're predicted an A & its another essay based subject like lit.
If you know what you want to do at university (Or job wise) then you should try and choose your a levels regarding that. If you are unsure at this time, then you could choose a mixture of subjects (Eg, a Science, and then some essay based subjects). The danger with this is you may not be able to get onto some uni courses that require two sciences (Or maths etc). For something like English your subjects look fine. Philosophy is an interesting option for the fourth subject, as is History. So, if you can decide on what you want to do in the future, than that will help with choosing your A levels. If not, don't worry, you still have a while to go :smile:
Original post by Aries1992
Thanks!

OP - you may (most probably actually) decide now and change your mind by the time you get to choosing your a levels.

Read some introduction books and specifications about the subjects you find interesting to give you an idea of what you'll most enjoy.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You saying thanks to me, but you didn't ask the question? :colondollar:
:biggrin:
History or Religious studies (philosophy and ethics) would be a good fourth subject.
Thats good that you're taking initiative and thinking ahead, but you're only in year10 get through your gcse's first and maybe don't stay up until 3am, I'm not saying its a bad thing but its important that you excel in your gcse's in order to do a level :smile:
Reply 9

I don't know what I want to be!
I'm just wondering what would be best, in terms of soft and hard subjects, and my predicted grades.
You saying thanks to me, but you didn't ask the question? :colondollar:
:biggrin:

No thank you for the summary :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Too far into the future,
deicde when you get there- repost the thread.
Your interests and likes will change, thats not me being patronising- they just will.

http://russellgroup.ac.uk/russell-group-latest-news/137-2011/4746-new-guidance-on-post16-study-choices/
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by sophiecelia
I don't know what I want to be!
I'm just wondering what would be best, in terms of soft and hard subjects, and my predicted grades.

In that case my honest opinion is that psychology is soft, but you can drop it at A2.

Quick Reply

Latest