The Student Room Group

Mature studies, funding and access as a EU student

Hi there everyone! :smile:

I'm currently 27-28 years old, and I'm seeking advice + info for mature studies in UK, as a EU-national student!

I don't meet the traditional/typical requirements for undergraduates admissions due to a lack of a high school diploma or equivalent in UK.
In fact, I own one but with such qualifications like I didn't own it at all. (very low grades etc...) :rolleyes:

Last, I may be eligible for a 24+ student loan help from UK government, but furthermore, I don't know if I complete an access course or foundation
I will be eligible for a normal student loan for undergraduate studies....

Thank you in advance for your help
Reply 1

BUMP!
(...any help, please?) :smile:
What university are you looking to apply to for the access or foundation course? Maybe they list it on their websites?
Reply 3
Original post by Coffeetime
What university are you looking to apply to for the access or foundation course? Maybe they list it on their websites?

Why? It's the same around, isn't it?
Reply 4
Original post by GHM_85-Neutr.
Why? It's the same around, isn't it?

Not at all. The same course at different universities, can have different entry requirements. In addition, entry requirements for mature students are much more flexible than those stated in the prosectus/web site,which are aimed at school leavers.

Some universities run their own Foundation degrees, others prefer you to arrive having taken an Access course outside university. Some will occasionally ask you to take or retake high school-level qualifications. It depends which university/course you want to study.

My advice is to narrow down your choices to around six degree courses, then email the university, explain your situation, and ask what qualifications they would need from a mature applicant.
Original post by Klix88
Not at all. The same course at different universities, can have different entry requirements. In addition, entry requirements for mature students are much more flexible than those stated in the prosectus/web site,which are aimed at school leavers.

Some universities run their own Foundation degrees, others prefer you to arrive having taken an Access course outside university. Some will occasionally ask you to take or retake high school-level qualifications. It depends which university/course you want to study.

My advice is to narrow down your choices to around six degree courses, then email the university, explain your situation, and ask what qualifications they would need from a mature applicant.

Thank you. That's why I was asking the OP about their preferences.
Reply 6
Thanks for your advice! :smile:
I' ll check it out.
Original post by GHM_85-Neutr.
Hi there everyone! :smile:

I'm currently 27-28 years old, and I'm seeking advice + info for mature studies in UK, as a EU-national student!

I don't meet the traditional/typical requirements for undergraduates admissions due to a lack of a high school diploma or equivalent in UK.
In fact, I own one but with such qualifications like I didn't own it at all. (very low grades etc...) :rolleyes:

Last, I may be eligible for a 24+ student loan help from UK government, but furthermore, I don't know if I complete an access course or foundation
I will be eligible for a normal student loan for undergraduate studies....

Thank you in advance for your help

What did you find out? :smile:

I'm very interested since I'm currently in a similar situation.

Hope it all worked out for you and hope to hear from you :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending