The Student Room Group

Actuarial Science chat

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Pallas Athena
Hey guys. I am planning on sitting for my CT1 exams soon and I would love for anyone who has done the exam to give me some pointers about how to study and revise for it and how to pass it. Thanks. :smile:

Practice all past papers there are lots, also the syllabus changes year by year (only by a small bit). Firstly just get a good grip on the notation of annuities and perpetuities and how you can use the annuity tables. For definitions and explain just refer to the mark scheme for the perfect answer. There's quite a lot of content but it's not challenging, just start early.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Is there anyone who's first choice is LSE in here?!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by bijesh12
Practice all past papers there are lots, also the syllabus changes year by year (only by a small bit). Firstly just get a good grip on the notation of annuities and perpetuities and how you can use the annuity tables. For definitions and explain just refer to the mark scheme for the perfect answer. There's quite a lot of content but it's not challenging, just start early.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Perfect, thanks for all the tips. Those seem really helpful. How long would you say you would need for the exam? Also, other than the ActEd material could you recommend any other study material? Thanks again. :smile:
Perfect, thanks for all the tips. Those seem really helpful. How long would you say you would need for the exam? Also, other than the ActEd material could you recommend any other study material? Thanks again. :smile:

Don't think you need acted material for ct1. If you just type in ct1 notes in google, a couple of universities have them. I used Warwicks ct1 notes, they're very detailed and plenty of questions to practice on. A month would be ideal if you revise everyday. The maths is easy in ct1, just a bit of calculus and log normal distribution. Most of ct1 is bookwork, so just learn all the definitions and theories.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Don't think you need acted material for ct1. If you just type in ct1 notes in google, a couple of universities have them. I used Warwicks ct1 notes, they're very detailed and plenty of questions to practice on. A month would be ideal if you revise everyday. The maths is easy in ct1, just a bit of calculus and log normal distribution. Most of ct1 is bookwork, so just learn all the definitions and theories.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Having had a look, the first few chapters are a lot better than the Acted / Core reading materials. I would recommend anyone taking CT1 to use this as an alternative resource
Reply 185
(Is it the end of thinking to be an actuary?)

Hi guys, I am a penultimate year student studying a degree of actuarial science. Unfortunately I am unable to get an internship despite my results at school were fairly good, now I doubt whether I still have a chance to get a job like "actuarial trainee" or "actuarial assistant" as I don't have any experience at all. Any advice?
Original post by a5a09
(Is it the end of thinking to be an actuary?)

Hi guys, I am a penultimate year student studying a degree of actuarial science. Unfortunately I am unable to get an internship despite my results at school were fairly good, now I doubt whether I still have a chance to get a job like "actuarial trainee" or "actuarial assistant" as I don't have any experience at all. Any advice?

Which uni are you doing your actuarial course at, may I ask?

(You don't have to answer that if you don't want to).

Sent from my iPhone

Posted from TSR Mobile

That sounds great, thanks. Of course the ActEd material is necessary but I was just wondering if I needed to supplement my reading with other material. I have just downloaded the Warwick notes and they look really great.

If you don't mind my asking, have you sat the CT3?
That sounds great, thanks. Of course the ActEd material is necessary but I was just wondering if I needed to supplement my reading with other material. I have just downloaded the Warwick notes and they look really great.

If you don't mind my asking, have you sat the CT3?

No that'll be later on this year, but i know all the content anyway and done all past papers.

Posted from TSR Mobile
No that'll be later on this year, but i know all the content anyway and done all past papers.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you reckon it would be possible to sit CT1 and CT3 at the same time time or rather study for them concurrently?
Do you reckon it would be possible to sit CT1 and CT3 at the same time time or rather study for them concurrently?

What's your background, as in educational level. How competent are you in mathematics ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
What's your background, as in educational level. How competent are you in mathematics ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I did well on my A-level Maths and am almost through with first year at uni but I don't think that my uni teach that well. I hope that answers your question.
I did well on my A-level Maths and am almost through with first year at uni but I don't think that my uni teach that well. I hope that answers your question.

What course are you studying at uni ? If you understand stats / probability then you shouldn't have a problem. There a fair bit of concepts to know.

Posted from TSR Mobile
What course are you studying at uni ? If you understand stats / probability then you shouldn't have a problem. There a fair bit of concepts to know.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I am studying Actuarial Science but the course is taught very poorly. Alright, thanks a lot.
I am studying Actuarial Science but the course is taught very poorly. Alright, thanks a lot.

Which uni are you in?
Reply 195
Original post by Sidhant Shivram
Which uni are you doing your actuarial course at, may I ask?

(You don't have to answer that if you don't want to).

Sent from my iPhone

CASS
I was wondering what would be the best decision right now on college courses? Wold it be best to start out with mathematics first or Accounting, business, and etc. and get those out the way?
Original post by Daisy_Venus
I was wondering what would be the best decision right now on college courses? Wold it be best to start out with mathematics first or Accounting, business, and etc. and get those out the way?

Starting with accounting or business won't even give u even a glimpse of the mathematics you would need for actuarial science. It's best to start off
With maths or a heavily based quantitative degree

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Hoshil
Which uni are you in?

I would rather not say.
Starting with accounting or business won't even give u even a glimpse of the mathematics you would need for actuarial science. It's best to start off
With maths or a heavily based quantitative degree

Posted from TSR Mobile

Okay, thanks :smile: helped out alot

Quick Reply

Latest