The Student Room Group

Turning down Pol and Econ for Actuarial Science

I was due to start a politics and economics course at LSE but I am ready to take a gap year to apply to actuarial science courses, primarily at Queen’s University Belfast.
Are the exemptions from this degree worth it when compared to the flexibility offered by other quantitative degrees?
Would the actuarial job prospects be similar for actuarial science courses across the country or does uni matter?
What are some work experience roles/other activities that would be beneficial to take in during my gap year?
Reply 1
If you want to become an actuary, then it may be that an actuarial science degree will help you qualify much quicker (it used to be that you would get an exemption from the first 6 of the 10 professional exams that you had to do, but I am a bit out of touch nowadays). That should impact earnings significantly in the early years of your career. Irrelevant later on, but then that is probably true will all degrees.
Reply 2
If you want to become an actuary, then it may be that an actuarial science degree will help you qualify much quicker (it used to be that you would get an exemption from the first 6 of the 10 professional exams that you had to do, but I am a bit out of touch nowadays). That should impact earnings significantly in the early years of your career. Irrelevant later on, but then that is probably true with all degrees.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending