Actuarial Science chat

Scroll to see replies

I applied to these:
1. City University
2. University of Kent
3. Heriot-Watt University
4. University of Southampton
5. Kingston University.
I got conditional offers from all of these.

Queen's Belfast does seem good but UEA, according to what I have seen, seems to have mixed opinions. Do any other unis offer mathematics and actuarial science courses that offers CT1-CT8 exemptions?
Reply 21
Original post by sneha.vag
I applied to these:
1. City University
2. University of Kent
3. Heriot-Watt University
4. University of Southampton
5. Kingston University.
I got conditional offers from all of these.

Queen's Belfast does seem good but UEA, according to what I have seen, seems to have mixed opinions. Do any other unis offer mathematics and actuarial science courses that offers CT1-CT8 exemptions?

Manchester gives CT1-7, I love manchester and even though its not the best program as its only a few years old, I assume it's still good... Look on ucas extra I can't think of any others.
Reply 22
Hey guys. I graduated from mathematics BSc at Nottingham a year ago, went on todo a PGCE and decided against teaching after discovering actuarial science. I have a job starting as a trainee actuary in August. If you have any questions I'd also be happy to answer them :smile:
Reply 23
Original post by TomLeigh
Hey guys. I graduated from mathematics BSc at Nottingham a year ago, went on todo a PGCE and decided against teaching after discovering actuarial science. I have a job starting as a trainee actuary in August. If you have any questions I'd also be happy to answer them :smile:

I'm applying to Nottingham for Maths. What would u say is better Nottingham or Birmingham? One of them will be my insurance... Do u know the difference?
Original post by TomLeigh

I have tonnes of questions to ask. The first ones being, how important is it to get the CT1-CT8 exeptions and how important is it to do an actuarial science undergraduate degree to become an actuary? Many thanks for taking the time to answer my questions :smile:
Original post by Faye_m
Manchester gives CT1-7, I love manchester and even though its not the best program as its only a few years old, I assume it's still good... Look on ucas extra I can't think of any others.

Thanks. Yes, manchester seems pretty good. I'll have to take a look at UCAS extra. Speaking of, does any one know any good articles/ guides online that I can read to prepare for clearing?
UEA is a four year degree, inclusive of guaranteed one year Internship with Aviva.
Queen university of Belfast , Kent , Manchester , LSE are good choices as well :P

Posted from TSR Mobile
The More CT papers exemptions you gained or cleared, your starting salary will be higher when you gain employment as a trainee.

I am guessing in terms of employability you will be at an advantage because companies will invest a less lot money and time to groom you as an actuary. Well I am just throwing my 2 cents , not really sure how true this is in reality.

Furthermore, it will take lesser time to gain the full qualifications as an actuary because you still have the remaining CT 9, CA, ST papers after your full exemptions .

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 29
Hi I'm a primary school teacher and would love to get into the area of actuary. For financial reasons I am wondering do I need to leave teaching and do a fulltime actuary course in order to become an actuary or is there anything online I could do and then get a job and do my exams while I am working? Any advice would be appreciated as I love maths and would love a more challenging career :smile:

p.s. I am in Ireland that is why it would need to be online. However if there was a 2 year acceleration course or something I would be interested in that!
Reply 30
Original post by jules21
Hi I'm a primary school teacher and would love to get into the area of actuary. For financial reasons I am wondering do I need to leave teaching and do a fulltime actuary course in order to become an actuary or is there anything online I could do and then get a job and do my exams while I am working? Any advice would be appreciated as I love maths and would love a more challenging career :smile:

p.s. I am in Ireland that is why it would need to be online. However if there was a 2 year acceleration course or something I would be interested in that!

Actuary isn't a two year course.
They themselves say that an Average Student takes 3 years to become an Associate (12/15 papers) and I think Actuaries aren't full time students because getting Experience is pivotal for them.

Although you should do more research, Im sure you will find a way through which you can fullfill your dream of becoming an Actuary :smile:
Hey there,

I was wondering why no one is talking about the actuarial science program at LSE. It's a great uni but what about its actuarial science program?
Reply 32
Original post by Sidhant Shivram
Hey there,

I was wondering why no one is talking about the actuarial science program at LSE. It's a great uni but what about its actuarial science program?

I'm applying there....

Ok random question... Everywhere talks about the 0% unemployment rate.. Is it really true?
Reply 33
Is there any actuary convention or events that come up in the north
Reply 34
Hi guys, I'm new here. I'm 29 years old and live in London. I got rejected by both City and LSE. However only Kingston gave me an unconditional offer. I have a question to ask:

Is it worth accepting offer from Kingston as I saw Kingston doesn't exempt students from any further exams? So what's the point studying?

Will appreciate any opinions.

Thanks.
Original post by Faye_m
I'm applying there....

Ok random question... Everywhere talks about the 0% unemployment rate.. Is it really true?

As far as i know, there is great demand for actuaries in most parts of the world including India, the mid east and Europe. A certified actuary will never have any problem finding employment I've heard...(from reliable sources)...

Becoming an actuary should be your concern cos after that, it's mostly smooth sailing...

Posted from TSR Mobile
If 0% unemployment is true, the actuarial course would never have existed because who in the right mind will apply.
obviously , it's not true.
So don't worry too much mate!
Worry for the exams!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 37
Original post by ToastedBread
If 0% unemployment is true, the actuarial course would never have existed because who in the right mind will apply.
obviously , it's not true.
So don't worry too much mate!
Worry for the exams!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lol what exactly do u mean?
I mean it is definitely untrue that actuarial employment is 0%.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 39
Original post by ToastedBread
I mean it is definitely untrue that actuarial employment is 0%.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lol nooooo... I said 0% UNemployment... Not 0% employment!

Quick Reply

Latest