The Student Room Group

Architecture Applicants 2014

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1380
I'm firming Newcastle. But I don't know whether to put Sheffield or Liverpool as insurance. Has anyone been to see Liverpool? If so what do they think of it??
Original post by MarkRodgers
dear oh dear

What?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I firmed Sheffield Uni and put Newcastle as insurance choice. It seems sheffield has got better reputation among architecture employers(architects journal sourvey) and always was in top five of uk architecture schools. Hope it was a good decision:biggrin:
I have already posted this to a different thread but, I thought I should post it here to. It simply renforces my life chaning decision to be studying Architecture in september.

"As a grad student who's done more years of school than I'd care to admit, I often wonder this myself. Sure, I've always loved making things, I've always loved design, I spent my childhood playing with LEGOs, but what architect hasn't? The thing is, architecture isn't a choice. I mean, at first it is, when you choose to pursue it. But then you realize how much work it is, how terrible the job prospects are, and how little money you'll get for all your work. And that's when you realize: architecture isn't a choice, it's a process. Every day you'll ask yourself: is this really what I want to do with my life? And if you're smart enough, if you're crazy enough, you'll answer hell yes. You've looked into the abyss. You've seen the horrors it could bring you. And you told them to **** off, and punched reality in the face. Because you realized you're better than that. You're better than life, because you're trying to make lives better. You walked into a room, decided to be a builder, realized nobody appreciates builders, and said **** you, I'll build the best buildings you've ever seen, even if you hate me for it. Then you realize you're incredibly drunk and going off on a tangent on some discussion when you really should be working."
I've firmed sheff as well for the dual arch and land degree!
sorry I am really frustrated about choosing my insurance between sheffield and cardiff. what is the biggest difference between them??
Also, is the course structure of cardiff 5yrs??
thankss

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1386
i seriously need help about where to go!!! Lincoln or westminster? Has anyone accepted offers or is currently studying from either uni? Any help would be highly appreciated
Guys, I really need advice on what to choose as my insurance! Going to firm Bath for sure, but I'm also holding offers from Manchester, Oxford Brookes and Edinburgh. I'm hesitating between the first two. I would choose Edinburgh if I could, but they want me to get 42 points (I'm doing IB) while Bath wants 38, well...

Is there anyone in a similar situation? I'm and EU applicant and didn't have a chance to visit all the schools personally, so I would really do with some help! Manchester or Brookes???
Is anyone else going to Bath for the MArch in September?

I am curious what people are doing about accommodation.

Thanks.
Hi guys,
I am internatinal student and will apply next year or in 2016 (most likely in UCL, Cambridge, Newcastle, Westminster). Though I' ve read almost all pages in the forum, I've got a few questions.
1) I am still wondering which unis will be more likely to consider my math achivements due to the fact that I've qualified in top 3 in various math competitions in my country (including one 3rd place from a International competition).
2) Are the drawing requirments in Ucl higher than Cambridge and Newcastle, for example?
Thanks for answering my questions :smile: I really appreciate that.
Kind regards.
P.S: Sorry if I have made spelling mistakes.
Original post by ceco_moev
Hi guys,
I am internatinal student and will apply next year or in 2016 (most likely in UCL, Cambridge, Newcastle, Westminster). Though I' ve read almost all pages in the forum, I've got a few questions.
1) I am still wondering which unis will be more likely to consider my math achivements due to the fact that I've qualified in top 3 in various math competitions in my country (including one 3rd place from a International competition).
2) Are the drawing requirments in Ucl higher than Cambridge and Newcastle, for example?
Kind regards.

Well Cambridge and UCL definitely will take note of your Maths and see it as desirable especially for Cambridge of course but of course your drawing is just as important. In UCL your artistic skills are rated highly as well as your grades so yeah, it states on their website under the course what they look for...

It's okay no spelling mistakes made! Hope I answered all your questions! :smile:
Hi guys,
Kind regards.

Cambridge will love your maths achievements the most. All universities will have the same drawing standards (Cambridge do lots of admissions drawing tests, as do UCL) however ucl will have the highest portfolio standard.
Original post by kleinblue
Guys, I really need advice on what to choose as my insurance! Going to firm Bath for sure, but I'm also holding offers from Manchester, Oxford Brookes and Edinburgh. I'm hesitating between the first two. I would choose Edinburgh if I could, but they want me to get 42 points (I'm doing IB) while Bath wants 38, well...

Is there anyone in a similar situation? I'm and EU applicant and didn't have a chance to visit all the schools personally, so I would really do with some help! Manchester or Brookes???

Both are just as good I don't know that much about Manchester as I didn't apply or research into it... (thus my answer might be biased) although I know that Oxford Brookes is rated well within Architecture and known throughout the industry and is in the top 10 of architecture schools this year! So that's always a good sign, they must be doing something right! I can't speak for Manchester but hope I helped in some way...
Oxford as I went is a beautiful town that is lively and has an array of things for everyone, Oxford Brookes students are allowed to use the library at Oxford University (as they aren't far from each other). Any who it's a quirky little place very picturesque.
Thanks for advice guys :smile: find it useful wish u good luck with the course
Hi guys,
Kind regards.

As a current UCL Architecture student, The Bartlett don't really look for maths achievements. Once you have ABB or higher in A-levels, they'll treat all student EQUALLY. From then on it is all up to your artistic/communication skills. If you are the 'mathy' kind of person, I suggest you not to come here...it really won't suit you. I loved maths during high school and entered many maths competitions end up with good results too, but then I get very little opportunity to do anything related with maths, which is a shame. Most of the time you'll spend time designing and technical drawing.

Hope this helps, good luck!
Original post by Kozzy17320
As a current UCL Architecture student, The Bartlett don't really look for maths achievements. Once you have ABB or higher in A-levels, they'll treat all student EQUALLY. From then on it is all up to your artistic/communication skills. If you are the 'mathy' kind of person, I suggest you not to come here...it really won't suit you. I loved maths during high school and entered many maths competitions end up with good results too, but then I get very little opportunity to do anything related with maths, which is a shame. Most of the time you'll spend time designing and technical drawing.

Hope this helps, good luck!

Thanks for honesty :biggrin: Despite that I will certainly take a note of your answer :smile: Nonetheless, I still got much time do decide but I am planning to get away from Math in uni because I ve got enough of it till now :smile:
Again I appreciate your answer.
Original post by JUSTSASHA
Both are just as good I don't know that much about Manchester as I didn't apply or research into it... (thus my answer might be biased) although I know that Oxford Brookes is rated well within Architecture and known throughout the industry and is in the top 10 of architecture schools this year! So that's always a good sign, they must be doing something right! I can't speak for Manchester but hope I helped in some way...
Oxford as I went is a beautiful town that is lively and has an array of things for everyone, Oxford Brookes students are allowed to use the library at Oxford University (as they aren't far from each other). Any who it's a quirky little place very picturesque.

Thanks! Both Manchester and Brookes rank somewhere around the 10th place in different league tables so I guess the're quite comparable, but you're probably right about the academic environment. At first I was convinced that I'd prefer living in a city rather than a town but actually, I visited Oxford last year and it was truly charming. Never been to Bath though, but I heard it's just as picturesque if not even more so:wink: Anyways, thank you - I'm probably going to choose Brookes as insurance then. And I didn't know about the library, that's a plus!
Reply 1397
Is anyone going to the AAschool ?
Original post by Gartio
Is anyone going to the AAschool ?

Will be applying
Reply 1399
Original post by Fatini999
Will be applying

You didn't apply yet ??

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending