The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Erm... not really. Just be sure you understand the main areas that come up. These are...

1. Sustainability
2. Conservation vs. Development
3. Environmental degredation and destruction
4. Poverty
5. Globalisation

Other than that, take your time trying to understand the source, as usually there are quite a few marks for the descriptive and explanitory part of the question.

Also note that there are 30 marks on offer for the question, so you should allow a little bit longer to answer it. Some may choose to answer this question first. Your choice.
It isn't much different from the other questions. Just use your physical and human knowledge seperatly. You can often lean more towards one than the other (thats what I did).

Edit: I got 92% on the paper without learning "how to write" the cross-unit question. Just make sure you include both units and it will be fine.
Reply 3
I know many people who have scored highly... they have done this by linking the topic to many areas of geography but not being over generalised. Anything you say, just drop in a name of where this is happening. For example, if you argue that global warming has an effect on marine environments, then say that and back it up, for example, in Australia, the Great Barrier Reef will suffer up to a loss of 50 percent of its biodiversity as the sea temperatures are set to rise 1.7+ degrees.

That is important. But try not to worry too much because generally, people score higher on this section than on A and B. I do wish you luck for Tues tho.
Reply 4
Geogger
Ecofootprints (Seriously!)

Someone is obviously in the know...

So is that just referring to concept of the level of environmental impact we have based on the way we live our lives (basicly sustainability)? For example, America has 3% of the worlds population, but uses over 7% of the worlds natural resources.

Im guessing a question may go on to delve in the realms of clsoing the sustainability gap, making 'the west' more sustainable (through greater efficiency/recycling/green consumerism etc.)...

Would you agree, or are you talking about something else?
Reply 5
how does globalisation ie TNC's come into the geography, ie what are we going to have to write about - i do have some examples but not sure how they relate to the paper
Reply 6
Hey Geogger, thats some good stuff on eco-footprints. I didnt know too much about them until i read ur post. Ive noticed, there has been a question on these quite often. June 03, June 02 and there was another i think. I still reckon im not good enough to attempt an ecological footprint though.
Reply 7
toto8462
Erm... not really. Just be sure you understand the main areas that come up. These are...

1. Sustainability
2. Conservation vs. Development
3. Environmental degredation and destruction
4. Poverty
5. Globalisation

Other than that, take your time trying to understand the source, as usually there are quite a few marks for the descriptive and explanitory part of the question.

Also note that there are 30 marks on offer for the question, so you should allow a little bit longer to answer it. Some may choose to answer this question first. Your choice.

i thought globalisation is a full topic for section B?? does this mean its included in cross section as well? also does anyone know whether its absolutely essential to learn grasslands case studies?
Reply 8
dinky
i thought globalisation is a full topic for section B?? does this mean its included in cross section as well? also does anyone know whether its absolutely essential to learn grasslands case studies?

Im not doing grasslands. Its an optional topic. My school chose to do the Tropical rain/temperate/boreal forests. Not a bad idea to know a bit about hte Sahel though. Im not wasting time revising it.
Reply 9
ahh i see. yeh we did it like that too, but i heard they like to do grassland questions. aaagh this exam is totally freaking me out. havent done any globalisation yet!!! eek!
Reply 10
ahh i thought tommorOw was unit 5 hazard and have been revising hazard case studies for the past 3 days. i literaly found out half an hour ago we have unit 4 tommorow, at least it's in the afternoon..

any advice please??? i havn't even startyed revising anything of Global Challenge.. help!! thanks
Reply 11
As they are essay based questions make sure you answer the question they’re asking!! and not one you whish you had been asked! Timing also, make sure you keep an eye on the time.
Reply 12
josieself
ahh i thought tommorOw was unit 5 hazard and have been revising hazard case studies for the past 3 days. i literaly found out half an hour ago we have unit 4 tommorow, at least it's in the afternoon..

any advice please??? i havn't even startyed revising anything of Global Challenge.. help!! thanks

I would advise you look at what Geogger has hinted will come up on the exam.

Physical:
Depressions / Anticyclones and weather maps
El Nino
Seasonality in relation to impact on vegetation

Human:
DTM
Migration
Global shift of industry / commerce

Cross unit:
Ecofootprints
Reply 13
thank you Spiral!
this is a bit late in the day (by a bit i mean ALOT) but you know how there is a choice of 3 questions for each section, doesn't that mean for section A i could just learn about ecosystems throughly and then answer the ecosystem question and not the ones on either weather or climate?
i would learn climate aswel incase the ecosystem question was difficult but basicly can i leave out weather, i can't get my head around depressions and anticyclones.....????
thoughts much much appriciated thankyou
Reply 14
thankyou Geogger! i'm going to try and limit but i still have a feeling it's going to be a long night..!
ah well at least i've got alot of the hazards revision out the way by mistake..
Reply 15
I've learnt more off this website than I have off my teachers! Thank you! Esp Geogger, you're posts have been so useful! Jus wondered are you like a real teacher or sumat, cos you seriously know your stuff dude...
Reply 16
Do you think its possible that if I wasn't to do aswell on tomorrows paper, I can make it up on the hazard and sir lanka papers?
Reply 17
angel1607
Do you think its possible that if I wasn't to do aswell on tomorrows paper, I can make it up on the hazard and sir lanka papers?

best to remember just to get as many points as you can as it is those at the end of the day which will determine grades. I got a solid A-grade for AS, and did the hazards paper in jan an got a high b so im hoping i can do just average in the the global issues and synoptic an not come out too bad.

hazards is ok as long as you know some good case studies and we already know what the sri lanka exam is basically going to be about so that will help im sure.

Good luck with it. I dont think im going to sleep tonight!
Reply 18
Geogger
Yes - I am a Head of Geog who encourages my students to use this site. Glad to know it's been useful!

Wish my geog teacher (and HoD) would encourage us to do anything accept read from a textbook!

You certainly seem an asset to your school.

Thank for all your help on here, you have "tied al the loose ends together!" so to say! :smile:
Reply 19
I just want to wish all of you the very very best today, i know you will all do amazingly well :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending