The Student Room Group

Is being curvy a good thing or bad thing?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Gillybop
I don't think either of them are attractive. I'm struggling to imagine what the curvy one would look like if she lost 5 stone though, surely those curves have to be attributed to a build up of excess fat?

It's down to your shape. If a fat hourglass lost weight they'd be a thin hourglass. If a skinny apple gains weight they'll be a bigger apple. So she's still be curvy
Curvy is a shape. Size is irrelevant. You can be a curvy size 6 or a curvy size 16.
You're fine OP, having a low waist to hip ratio is one of the main signifiers of physical attractiveness in women.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 22
Just be at a healthy weight, and apart from that it's up to you what size you are, there are guys who'll dig you no matter what :tongue:
Of course it's a good thing, so long as you're properly curvy and not just fat.
Original post by redferry
I think you are confused - in order to be curvy you need a thin waist and wide hips + an ample bosom. ie an hourglass figure although a pear probably classifies as curvy too. A lot of slim girls do not have wide hips,, they are more of a rectangle.

Being curvy has noting to do with your weight, you gan get slim curvy girls and rectangular fat girls, it is all about your bone structure and where fat distributes itself on your body.

OP no-one except guys attracted to really skinny girls will think being curvy is a bad thing - an hourglass figure is almost universally recognised as good.

THIS! Curvy is not a weight!
It's a good thing. :smile:

Curvy: ImageUploadedByStudent Room1373885267.766899.jpg

Fat: ImageUploadedByStudent Room1373885284.613009.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Curves ftw!
Original post by Backbrah
Curvy is better than skinny
Women have always been sought after to be curvy - that is, wide hips as it's a sign they are good at bearing children - evolutionary trait

Feminists want curvy to be defined as "Rolls of fat to make fat women feel sexy and wanted" Ridiculous statement- This isn't the case, so don't be misled into letting yourself go, and certainly don't starve yourself to be stick thin <--Though I agree with that statement.

Now if I posted pics of what curvy women look like, I'd be labelled a misogynist or something

Anyway to the OP, I think I have a sort of hourglass figure and I know I have curves. Although I understand I am a healthy and normal weight, and I understand that others may find my shape attractive I personally don't because I think I'm too big.
Curvy isn't a very good definition as there are lots of different types of curvy, thin curvy, big curvy, healthy curvy etc. I personally find thin curvy attractive but can also find healthy curvy attractive. For example in the image the two women on the left started out at a healthy weight (it's from a programme on channel 4 super skinny me: the race to size double zero). In the picture on the right they have lost more weight and I think the woman at the bottom reached an underweight BMI by the end of the experiment. I find the woman on the top rights body more attractive, I honestly can't tell you why it's more appealing to me it just is.
skinny_blog_1.jpg
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 28
It's unfortunate that some girls count their double chins as a curve these days though.

I would call Kelly Brook Curvy.
Reply 29
I don't think either of them are attractive. I'm struggling to imagine what the curvy one would look like if she lost 5 stone though, surely those curves have to be attributed to a build up of excess fat?

Generally you maintain your curves as you lose and gain weight, unless you become excessively underweight.

I imagine I would look something like her if I gained a lot of weight, I have a huge tendancy to put fat on my thighs and bum and not elsewhere.
I have big boobs, not much of a waist, and narrow hips. Guess I'll never be curvy :sad:
Reply 31
Generally you maintain your curves as you lose and gain weight, unless you become excessively underweight.

I imagine I would look something like her if I gained a lot of weight, I have a huge tendancy to put fat on my thighs and bum and not elsewhere.

I like Nicki Minaj's curves, and Coco Austin, they girls know how to work it :smile:
Reply 32
I like Nicki Minaj's curves, and Coco Austin, they girls know how to work it :smile:

I thought Nicky Minaj had bum implants?
Reply 33
I thought Nicky Minaj had bum implants?

Yeah, probably, real on the outside though :wink:
Reply 34
Original post by bubblyraindrop
It's a good thing. :smile:

Curvy: ImageUploadedByStudent Room1373885267.766899.jpg

Fat: ImageUploadedByStudent Room1373885284.613009.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

I wouldnt say the girl in the bottom pic was fat personally, just in an unflattering outfit.

I remember hearing that a curvy body shape is having both bust and hips at least 10 inches bigger than your waist so as others have said its nothing to do with weight.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Curvy - YES. Fat - no.... In an ideal world I have bigger hips (i.e. bigger bone structure, not more fat on there!), a smaller waist. I think it's what makes girls look really feminine. Anyway, that's an ideal world :P
Okay so in really life i am curvy and i often wonder why because nearly all my family are rectangular shapes where as i am an hour glass, i constantly get pestered that i eay to much and i have looked it up and us curvy girls like to eat and i've tried explaining it to them and they won't listen. (in my opinion curvy is great) but when you go shopping its super hard because all my friends are stick thin so when we goOut shopping i feel a bit left out because they can buy all this amazing stuff and then i go try it on and it just doesn't look nice. I amen't fat i would say i have some tiny minor fat but i'd be able to work it off. Usually when i had p.e. I would always try to get out off it because i had a Dcup and i was the only one that did and whever i runned the upper area would start to jiggle 😂 anyway i think curvy is being great and curvy isn't fat or obese it means you're either s pear shape or an hour glass shape.Pear shape= smaller shoulder width than hips, hips are bigger than shoulders, big butt, small bust, small waistHour glass= Shoulders same width as hips, big bust size, small waistHope that helped ?
Reply 37
I am curvy and I don't like body I wish I was skinny but I am not sadly. But if you are happy with be who you are that a good thing .
Original post by ammmmm
Hey peops
I have the smallest waist but the widest hips so I'm very curvy. What are your views on a curvy figure ? And for the guys, which shape figure do you prefer?!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Curvy in the 21st century is code for fat usually
Original post by Saaha
I am curvy and I don't like body I wish I was skinny but I am not sadly. But if you are happy with be who you are that a good thing .

Cheeky 5 year bump

Quick Reply

Latest