The Student Room Group

Best acne skincare product?

Hi guys, am finding for acne skincare products (something like a 3-step set) for severe puberty acne.

I've heard good things about the neutrogena grapefruit cleanser, should I use that?

Heard that Clinique's clarifying lotion is good as well, but it feels quite strong for myself...

What products should I try?

Thanks in advance :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Murad have a good regime although I've personally used Peter Thomas Roth's regime which I've personally found to be very good, it has a higher salicylic acid content of 2% versus the 1% of Murad, depending on how bad it is, pick the one with either higher (bad acne) or lower (not to bad acne) salicylic acid content as it burns when you first start using it.
Clean and Clear Persa-gel-10 does the trick, very effective.
Reply 3
You can go to your doctor and they'll give you stuff much better than you can get in shops.
Reply 4
Original post by Economi
You can go to your doctor and they'll give you stuff much better than you can get in shops.

I would also recommend you go to the doctor OP.

I've been suffering acne too long now to recommend anything you can buy in the shops. Your doctor can prescribe medication as well as topical treatments with which to wash your face/ apply as an ointment. Please don't waste your time and money looking for products to help severe acne.
Reply 5
Having recently worked at a dermatology conference I got the impression that the prescribed 'Epiduo', by Galderma is the most effective, much better than ones which you purchase in shops.
Reply 6
if none of the usual stuff in shops is working then you can always try stuff from Lush. I used to use things like Clearasil which stopped working after a while but then I started using Lush and its got loads better. Or you can go to the doctors depending on how bad it is
of the shops nothing works bro honestly go to gp and trhey give you this cream which is absolutely amazing
Anything with benzoyl peroxide. I would go for 2.5% for mild acne and 10% for extreme.
Reply 9
For severe acne the GP is the best bet. Things you can buy in Boots are only for mild acne. Also with the GP if what they prescribe is not working put pressure on for referral to a dermatologist. The longer you perist with acne and all the temptations to squeeze and poke at spots the more angst and and risk of scarring. After years of suffering I went to the hospital and was finally prescribed roaccutane (yes I know it is a controversial drug). It worked like magic and I wished I had been more proactive earlier.
Duac gel. On prescription.
Nothing else really works it's all just a gimmick to sell products.
If you have moderate to severe acne I'd definitely recommend going to your doctor, they'll give you a topical gel treatment or maybe even antibiotics.
Have you tried Horse Semen?? It worked like a wonder for me:daydreaming:
If you really want to clear your acne you must ask your dermatologist for Isotretinoin treatment.
Well tbh, before going down the whole drug route. i would look at the more natural remedies first. I have friends who use forever living products to get rid of their acne and its all natural aloe vera and bee products. Also they love it because if it doesn't work, they get their money back!! its a win- win if you ask me. lf you want more info message me. I use the same products for my eczema so i know they work.
Reply 14
Proactiv.
Clean and clear worked wonders for me.
The thing is, what works for me, doesn't have to work for you, and vice versa. For example, Neutrogena, Nivea, Simple and Garnier broke me out (and I checked ten thousand times if products were oil free, as I have oily skin). Clean and Clear was really drying and it irritated my skin. Even Duac gel didn't help :/

What seems to work for now is Vichy Normaderm but I know it's only temporary and I'll have to visit my GP soon :smile: That's the best you can do, really. They can judge what type of acne you're dealing with, what are the best treatments available for you, etc. Plus, it doesn't cost you anything to go and see your doctor - which to me sounds better than spending hundreds of pounds on products that don't really work :biggrin:
Dude check out your diet as well, I stopped junk food and it went down LOADS.
Seriously has no else ever tried horse semen for acne? it worked a wonder for me as long as it is warm of course! and please don't neg me for no reason!
Reply 19
Have you tried sandblasting?

Quick Reply

Latest