The Student Room Group

Personal statement help

I want to study law- the thing is I actually don't remember why I want to study law. I remember thinking lawyers are cool and earn a lot of money when I was younger, so back then I decided to study law.

Now, I don't want to be a lawyer- I don't know what to do. Yet, I still want to study law.

My reasons are- I like academic subjects, I have the ability to process complex information.
I like criticising the law, as oppose to actually saying something like 'I have a passion'- but does this sound okay on a personal statement?
I am interested in knowing about the philosophy of law
I want to use a law degree to enter a variety of professions
I like comparing things a lot- so comparing the legal systems of places like where I'm from the the UK seems to be quite interesting to me.

Other reasons include money and prestige to be quite honest.

Any suggestions on how I can make my personal statement sound better/add things in? Cut things out?
Hi there, my friend got into Law and told me some of the advice he got from the Careers Office and the Unis and the main thing that came out about PS is to focus a lot on how what you are learning and past work experience. What you need to do is relate how what you are learning/have done will benefit your study i.e. how you can organise your time, process lots of information, shown yourself reliable etc and then say why those skills and qualities are important for law. Oh and don't mention money and presitge :tongue: Your course isn't a vocational one as much as say healthcare ones are so I don't think you need to write too much about future career prospects outside of showing you have thought it through and have a keen interest and passion for it.

As for your point about critisising law, could you say you are interested in the faults of the system and trying to bring about change which could rectify it per chance?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending