The Student Room Group

LGBT athletes can't compete in Winter Olympics

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Rovey
People are dying in their thousands you surely can't compare the two even more so that what happens in the middle east impacts everyone.

I really don't understand your comment. You make it sound like the problems in the middle east are being deliberatly created by the UK. They are not and boycotting sports events held here will do little to change foreign policy.

Boycotting russia will highlight their attitude to homosexuality and create bad press, the opposite of what they want. This may convince a change in policy or at least a tonedown.

Interestly enough, they have a debate on what to do about this. One of the suggestions was for the athletes to attend, but hold hands at the beginning to show their support for the plight of the LGBT community of russia.
Reply 81
Original post by elitepower
I really don't understand your comment. You make it sound like the problems in the middle east are being deliberatly created by the UK. They are not and boycotting sports events held here will do little to change foreign policy.

Boycotting russia will highlight their attitude to homosexuality and create bad press, the opposite of what they want. This may convince a change in policy or at least a tonedown.

Interestly enough, they have a debate on what to do about this. One of the suggestions was for the athletes to attend, but hold hands at the beginning to show their support for the plight of the LGBT community of russia.

They absolutely are.

The UK is part of the axis of Evil i.e. UK/US/France.
Original post by Rovey
They absolutely are.

The UK is part of the axis of Evil i.e. UK/US/France.

Are you saying every problem countries in the middle east today in directly the fault of the UK?
Reply 83
Can we stick to the topic at hand, any further posts not related will be removed and warned
Original post by Harrie Lyons
Putin IS MY HERO man. How much does it cost to move to Russia? Good example of the hypocrisy of the west: everyone acts like jailing pussy riot was the worlds greatest evil: I am an orthodox, they desecrated an Orthodox Church, they were inconsiderate whores. When David gilmours adopted son desecrates a British monument for protesting the government he gets put in jail and everyone cheers. Do you see the hypocrisy?

While I am pro LGBT rights. I agree that the band so crudely names "pussy riot" should have been imprisoned. To desecrate an Orthodox (or for that matter any church) should be regarded as a crime both against History and people. They would not dare to it to a mosque so why should they be allowed to do it to a church?
Reply 85
Original post by SmallTownGirl
Other athletes should boycott in protest.

other athletes are happy when others are disqualified/banned
I get if Russia's government are against it, there's not much Russian people can do, except vote in someone different, etc
But the other countries competing, a lot which now allow gay marriage should be allowed to enter athletes based on that countries own beliefs, not Russias
I mean, it's supposed to bring countries together, and it's a real shame that many athletes will be excluded from participating because of someone that is irrelevant from the sport
Reply 87
Original post by Hanvyj
So Russia has outlawed homosexuality, anyone suspected of being homosexual can be detained for 14 days on arrival to the country.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/22/opinion/russias-anti-gay-crackdown.html?_r=1&

How on earth can we have the Winter Olympics in a country where some athletes cannot legally compete?

I'm surprised Russia passing laws like this haven't been more widely reported, or have I just missed it?

I think some transsexual athlete would have problems competing in any olympics, given the previous case and gender testing fiasco
Reply 88
Original post by ameliestia
I get if Russia's government are against it, there's not much Russian people can do, except vote in someone different, etc
But the other countries competing, a lot which now allow gay marriage should be allowed to enter athletes based on that countries own beliefs, not Russias
I mean, it's supposed to bring countries together, and it's a real shame that many athletes will be excluded from participating because of someone that is irrelevant from the sport

Especially since the Olympic Games' charter states unambiguously that the Olympics must be "open to all, free of discrimination."
Whilst the situation in Russia is definately scary, and worryingly starting to look like Hitler's Olympic games, There are definitely worse countries out there. Heck, there's at least 10 countries in the commonwealth that outright ban Homosexuality, with lengthy prison terms. Every four years these countries compete in the commonwealth games and no-one seems to complain.

But I certainly will not be watching the Sochi games. And I won't be using any products from their sponsors (McDonalds, Coca-cola, Visa etc.). There's little else I can do, unfortunately. My heart is with all the Russians who have had their liberties stripped away. Hopefully the ECHR will be able to step in.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending