The Student Room Group

drivers with size 3-4 (or less) feet, please help!?!?

I'm learning to drive and struggling a bit with the pedals ! My seat is far enough forward so that I can reach the pedals and put them to the floor. However, to do so, it's almost impossible to have my heel on the floor! And if I have to put my foot on the brake/clutch completely down, my ankle hurts after no time at all, but it's not always appropriate to put the handbrake on, because I might only be stopped for a moment longer than I can't comfortably hold the pedal down, which isn't very long at all. For example at roundabouts, you want to be able to get away quickly when there's an ideal gap, but faffing with the handbrake slows you down.

When accelerating and braking a little bit, I can reach, although only really my toes are on the pedal and it doesn't feel that secure. When braking/ putting the clutch down completely, I have to lift my heel off of the floor, else I can't get the right angle to put my foot hard on the pedal !

My instructor says it looks as if my feet are on the pedals just enough, BUT my feet are the length of a size 3, but because my feet are fairly wide, I usually have size 4s. So, yes it looks like my feet are just about far enough on the pedal, BUT my toes aren't going to the end of my shoes, so my toes are just about on the pedal, meaning I feel as if I have less control.

I can't be the first person with size 3 feet to learn to drive. So how do you cope ? My instructor said to try and wear something with a bit of a wedge heel on. Although, most of my shoes with the ideal kind of heel, are big, warm winter boots ... and it's July ...
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
It sounds like the car you are trying to drive is unsuitable for your size. Find an instructor with a car where the seat is closer to the pedals, or has a smaller footwell.

Failing that, you may have to consider pedal extensions which will have to be noted on your licence. I presume you are also under 5 feet tall?
Original post by anony.mouse
I'm learning to drive and struggling a bit with the pedals ! My seat is far enough forward so that I can reach the pedals and put them to the floor. However, to do so, it's almost impossible to have my heel on the floor! And if I have to put my foot on the brake/clutch completely down, my ankle hurts after no time at all, but it's not always appropriate to put the handbrake on, because I might only be stopped for a moment longer than I can't comfortably hold the pedal down, which isn't very long at all. For example at roundabouts, you want to be able to get away quickly when there's an ideal gap, but faffing with the handbrake slows you down.

When accelerating and braking a little bit, I can reach, although only really my toes are on the pedal and it doesn't feel that secure. When braking/ putting the clutch down completely, I have to lift my heel off of the floor, else I can't get the right angle to put my foot hard on the pedal !

My instructor says it looks as if my feet are on the pedals just enough, BUT my feet are the length of a size 3, but because my feet are fairly wide, I usually have size 4s. So, yes it looks like my feet are just about far enough on the pedal, BUT my toes aren't going to the end of my shoes, so my toes are just about on the pedal, meaning I feel as if I have less control.

I can't be the first person with size 3 feet to learn to drive. So how do you cope ? My instructor said to try and wear something with a bit of a wedge heel on. Although, most of my shoes with the ideal kind of heel, are big, warm winter boots ... and it's July ...

move the chair closer?
Use the handbrake more? using the handbrake shouldn't be faffy.. and is better than using the footbrake
or just get used to it? if I drive without shoes on, my size 7 feet will just have one big toe on the acceloration, and I'll have to pick my foot up to use the clutch/ brake.
Reply 3
For example at roundabouts, you want to be able to get away quickly when there's an ideal gap, but faffing with the handbrake slows you down.

If you already have the car in 1st with your foot on the clutch and accelerator all you have to do is release the handbrake while you begin to apply gas and lift up on the clutch. If you are learning it might take a few times to get the hang of it.
Reply 4
I have size 3 feet and I never had any problems
I used to wear flat shoes and also had a cushion
Reply 5
Original post by Advisor
It sounds like the car you are trying to drive is unsuitable for your size. Find an instructor with a car where the seat is closer to the pedals, or has a smaller footwell.

Failing that, you may have to consider pedal extensions which will have to be noted on your licence. I presume you are also under 5 feet tall?

The seat is far enough forward. I can push the pedals all the way, but if I do, my heels are no longer on the floor and it doesn't feel as secure. I'm 5 ft 2 " !

Original post by rainbowbex
move the chair closer?
Use the handbrake more? using the handbrake shouldn't be faffy.. and is better than using the footbrake
or just get used to it? if I drive without shoes on, my size 7 feet will just have one big toe on the acceloration, and I'll have to pick my foot up to use the clutch/ brake.

Moving the chair closer won't help. I did try moving it as far forward as possible, but the angle my legs and ankles were bending wasn't comfortable. If I wasn't forward enough then I wouldn't be able to press the pedals down fully.

But if you're stopped at a roundabout for possibly only a few seconds and want a quick getaway then using the handbrake is unecessary faffing as it takes longer.

I struggle to believe that with size 7 feet you can't put much of your foot on the accelerator ...

Original post by Idle
If you already have the car in 1st with your foot on the clutch and accelerator all you have to do is release the handbrake while you begin to apply gas
and lift up on the clutch. If you are learning it might take a few times to get the hang of it.

I can do starts like this and most of my hill starts are successful now. But like I said, when you're in a situation when you need to move of quickly, such as a busy roundabout, I feel as if using the handbrakes would be to slow and more faffing and i might end up missing the gap.

Original post by luvcats
I have size 3 feet and I never had any problems
I used to wear flat shoes and also had a cushion

hmmm ... how tall are you?
Reply 6

hmmm ... how tall are you?

just under 5 foot.
I did need a cushion after all
The seat is far enough forward. I can push the pedals all the way, but if I do, my heels are no longer on the floor and it doesn't feel as secure. I'm 5 ft 2 " !

Moving the chair closer won't help. I did try moving it as far forward as possible, but the angle my legs and ankles were bending wasn't comfortable. If I wasn't forward enough then I wouldn't be able to press the pedals down fully.

But if you're stopped at a roundabout for possibly only a few seconds and want a quick getaway then using the handbrake is unecessary faffing as it takes longer.

I struggle to believe that with size 7 feet you can't put much of your foot on the accelerator ...

I found the angle really uncomfortable to start with, but it's better with time. I get achey thigh, and above ankle if I get stuck in traffic, or even sometimes on the M.Way

I appreciate what you mean about roundabouts, but do what's safe? I guess i'd probably hold on the clutch.

I'll take a picture for you later. obviously it depends on how fast I'm going.
Reply 8

My feet are narrow and 2 1/2. I have only had 2 lessons but I am coping well.Sometimes I am scared of getting cramp because like yo my foot can only be completely on or off the pedal.

My driving instructors car allows me to reach well and it is comfortable- maybe the car sizing isn't suitable or the pedals are too far apart. I hope you find a solution x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending