The Student Room Group

Motorbike Society- IV

Come join in the motorbike society, whether you ride, like watching bike racing, or saw a pretty bike go past. We don't bite, and even if the thread seems off topic, we will always help with any bike questions.

You’re probably here as you want to know about riding a motorbike/scooter/moped. There should be all the information you need to know included somewhere in this post, although I know it’s long, there is a lot of stuff included!

Step one

Before you can get near a bike you need to obtain a provisional license. If you have a car license (full or provisional) check your paper bit, you may already have the provisional entitlement (this should show as a ‘p’ for a moped or ‘a’ for motorbike. They are different.

If you don’t have a provisional entitlement, then you can apply on-line here or get a D1 form from a post office. Once you have received this you can start your training.

New Bike test routes

Options
Options at 16 get a CBT and ride a 50cc bike or moped
Options at 17-18 get a CBT and ride up to a 125cc bike/scooter, or do your CBT, theory test and full restricted tests and ride a 125cc
Options at 19-23 get a CBT and ride up to a 125cc bike/scooter, or do your CBT, theory test and full restricted tests and ride anything that is restricted to 46.6bhp.
Options at 24+ - get a CBT or or do your CBT, theory test and DAS and ride anything.

CBT … what is that?

Theory test … But I’ve done the car one

’ I’m bored of my 125, I want something BIGGER!’

So you’ve passed your CBT/bike test and are ready to go? (Equipment)

So now am I ready, I’ve got the training and the gear?!?

License, gear bike……Insurance?

You might want some Security

How you can make biking cheaper and maintenance

Advanced Training

(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Motor biking is not the cheapest hobby, you have to pay for:
-insurance
-road tax (£35-£75)
- petrol (140p a litre, normally 50mpg for me)
- plus the maintenance (new tyres front and back £250, chain and sprockets £120, chain lube £10, oil £20, oil filter £8, spark plugs £8 ish each

If you can fix bikes yourself, such as using a Haynes manual, it will work out cheaper. Good equipment lasts years, so it pays to invest if you are planning to bike long term. If you get a faired bike and you crash it, it’s going to cost a lot.

Maintenance

Members List
Bathwiggle(Tribal Queen): 2000 Suzuki SV650s
MHorman: 1998 Yamaha FZS 600"Fazer"(Red/Black)/2004 Honda CRF230(Red/Black)
Chilledice
: Had 2009 Kawasaki Ninja (Green) -Answers to the name Yoshi./ 2005 BMW F650 GS
LandyJon: 1999 Suzuki SV650s and White Street triple
Boristhethird: 1988 Honda Bros 400 Fazer
Lantana: 2007 Suzuki SV650
Smilingsam: CB125
Adamski91- Bandit
Hravan - Yamaha Vity 125
Juno GN125
F4LL3N SV650/CBR600F / Blade 954
Imperial_Maniac: Suzuki SV650
gbduo:
2009 Triumph Street Triple 675

WalkerPassingby -FZ6 S2

Members without bikes:
Loz17
JollyJelly

Darren Hyland

http://www.google.co.uk/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&t=h&msa=0&z=10&msid=201920847701204583419.00049d7266fcb3de1239a

Useful Links
Bike test
Government website
Bike gear

Road rash Queen, graphic images
(edited 9 years ago)
IN!

Need to get the chain/sprocket replaced on my bike.

They're completely fubar'd tbh.
Reply 3
This was very clever of me!
Reply 4
The chain and sprocket I have are in really good condition tbh, I just need a bike to go around them :lol:
Original post by Bathwiggle
This was very clever of me!

I was impressed that you could copy them exactly.

Original post by Maccees
The chain and sprocket I have are in really good condition tbh, I just need a bike to go around them :lol:

What's up with your bike?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by Motorbiker
I was impressed that you could copy them exactly.

Hehe.

I've just had 7 people watching me play with the sv. the fan doesn't seem to be working and need the volt meter to try and work it out.
I've come n to get away from them
Reply 7
What's up with your bike?

Well it was made in China and it's basically gone downhill from there :lol:

Bought it for £400 though and once I get round to stripping it I should get that (possibly a bit more) back. Lost my p/t job a few months ago though so I can't afford to run a car and a bike atm. Once I get a new one I'll be getting something else hopefully.
Reply 8
Ugsy had a new chain and sprokcet recently
Xt350 was way expensive, silly man isn't going to sell it for 1200 quid.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by Imperial_Maniac
Varadero 125's are lovely, but their bigger brothers...I hate with a fiery passion.

This is only because I used to have to push the buggers about and they're like a bus- you'd be screwed if you dropped one.

I've just been out on my XL125 tonight - did about 30 miles. :biggrin:

I wouldn't be worried about getting a big one back up. Picking any big bike up on your own is pretty easy it's just the damage that'll make you cringe!

A 125cc bike would do the job well tbh and be quicker than public transport. Can filter through the traffic nicely.

I would get a 125cc bike atm and then pass your bigger test when you can and then when you feel the need to upgrade then go for it.

I commute to university with a mix between motorbike and bicycle and it's quite good. Can normally park for free in a lot of places.

Also, i need to go make Mk 4 at some point.

Quoting this from the other thread xD
I was thinking about that, but I thought again. Right now I'm in no hurry to buy a bike, so if I do buy one it'll be by the end of this year/early 2014 and I'll be a few months away from turning 19 so I might as well just get a bigger bike and restrict it.

I've been curious though, where do you put your helmet? and how do you go to uni with full motorcycle gear on? :biggrin:
Original post by Islam Hamza
I was thinking about that, but I thought again. Right now I'm in no hurry to buy a bike, so if I do buy one it'll be by the end of this year/early 2014 and I'll be a few months away from turning 19 so I might as well just get a bigger bike and restrict it.

I've been curious though, where do you put your helmet? and how do you go to uni with full motorcycle gear on? :biggrin:

True but if you do a cbt today you could be riding your 125 this afternoon. :wink:

My helmet goes in my topbox on my bike, my jacket fits in there as well. Then I have my reinforced jeans and boys on when walking around. And if you don't want an ugly topbox then use a locker.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Original post by Islam Hamza

i just wore draggin jeans and a bike jacket, jacket i carried and helmet i locked to the helmet lock on the bikke. Boots i just wore hiking boots
Hi all, how do I go about joining?

I've got a Triumph Tiger 800, been riding about 5 years now.
Reply 15
Original post by ScottScott
Hi all, how do I go about joining?

I've got a Triumph Tiger 800, been riding about 5 years now.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/group.php?groupid=330

Then poke martin about adding you. He normally forgets. Any pics of your Tiger?
Excellent, I have done that!

Certainly do!

Had her for about 2 years now.

upload1.jpg
upload2.jpg

'Tis the black one.
Reply 17
Original post by Bathwiggle
i just wore draggin jeans and a bike jacket, jacket i carried and helmet i locked to the helmet lock on the bikke. Boots i just wore hiking boots

They've gone up a lot lately.
I bought my Kevlar lined RST jeans 2 years ago for 60 quid when such things weren't very popular. Same shop asking nearly £150 for them now!
Yeh, I noticed the vast increase in price.
I have seen some cheaper ones around but Draggin Jeans do seem to command a higher price.
Is 12,000 a lot of miles for a 50cc bike?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest