The Student Room Group

Are DSA details viewable by admissions tutors?

Hello,

Apologies as I think I asked something similar to this some time ago, however I can't remember the exact answer and was looking to ask something more specific now anyway.

I was wondering whether admissions tutors can see all of the DSA information when looking at a student's application?

So for example - I'm aware that admissions tutors receive our results a few days before we do and they use this to sort out offers. If I was to miss my firm offer slightly, I know that the admissions tutors would then likely look at my application to once again review it. If they did this, would my DSA details be displayed here?

I only wonder because I fear that this would put me at a disadvantage. I know legally the universities cannot discriminate against disabled students, however if two students miss their offers by a similar margin, yet one has mental health issues (such as social anxiety/depression) I'm sure they would not pick the latter :frown:

So yeah can anyone just clarify for me whether or not this info is displayed alongside a normal ucas application? I have selected on the ucas application that I suffered from a disability, however I'm just wondering if the details taken in my DSA appointment would also be viewable?

Reply 1
Driving Standards Agency???
Not 100% sure.... but i think they will be able to see your ucas form but not your dsa report as that gets sent to the disability advisor at the uni you end up at. For me my disability team get them all and then they put the information tutors need to know (with my permission) onto a separate form that they then give to my course leader and ones in less detail again to my lecturers. This didn't happen until after I had started my course so I imagine the same might happen at other unis....

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by yaboy
Driving Standards Agency???

Disabled Students Allowance (check the forum).

Original post by Alejandro
Hello,

Apologies as I think I asked something similar to this some time ago, however I can't remember the exact answer and was looking to ask something more specific now anyway.

I was wondering whether admissions tutors can see all of the DSA information when looking at a student's application?

So for example - I'm aware that admissions tutors receive our results a few days before we do and they use this to sort out offers. If I was to miss my firm offer slightly, I know that the admissions tutors would then likely look at my application to once again review it. If they did this, would my DSA details be displayed here?

I only wonder because I fear that this would put me at a disadvantage. I know legally the universities cannot discriminate against disabled students, however if two students miss their offers by a similar margin, yet one has mental health issues (such as social anxiety/depression) I'm sure they would not pick the latter :frown:

So yeah can anyone just clarify for me whether or not this info is displayed alongside a normal ucas application? I have selected on the ucas application that I suffered from a disability, however I'm just wondering if the details taken in my DSA appointment would also be viewable?

Information from DSA won't be viewable, as your DSA application is concerned with finance and therefore completely unrelated to your actual university application. DSA is dealt with by your funding body, your university application is (usually) UCAS. Information won't be shared.

Though I don't necessarily agree that an admissions tutor will be inclined to chose the "non-disabled/ill person". The situation is entirely hypothetical, as it's rare that two or more candidates would miss an offer and be so evenly matched. Though I can't deny that some admissions tutor won't show negative attitudes, in my experience most will be indifferent (or it could even work the other way as the tutor gives the student extra credit for having achieved the same grades but with an illness).
Reply 4
Original post by River85
Disabled Students Allowance (check the forum).

Information from DSA won't be viewable, as your DSA application is concerned with finance and therefore completely unrelated to your actual university application. DSA is dealt with by your funding body, your university application is (usually) UCAS. Information won't be shared.

Though I don't necessarily agree that an admissions tutor will be inclined to chose the "non-disabled/ill person". The situation is entirely hypothetical, as it's rare that two or more candidates would miss an offer and be so evenly matched. Though I can't deny that some admissions tutor won't show negative attitudes, in my experience most will be indifferent (or it could even work the other way as the tutor gives the student extra credit for having achieved the same grades but with an illness).

Okay thank you for your help :smile: (rainbow_artist thank you also!)
I understand what you are saying, and I could be completely wrong as I of course have none whatsoever experience with admissions officers. But I do worry that (as I said) If it were down to two or a few students and one had a certain disability, particularly something mental health related, they might be slightly put off. Only because for example in my case with anxiety and depression, I know a lot of students have became very stressed with these disabilities and their work has often suffered because of it. So therefore admissions tutors may not think it's worth the hassle.

However what you said about it possibly being an advantage in some cases for some admissions tutors is very interesting and I never saw it that way.

Who knows anyway! Just thank you for your help, it's a relief to know my DSA details hopefully won't be viewable by them and therefore hopefully won't sway their decision!

Thank you :smile:
Reply 5
When you have a DSA assessment, don't you either check or uncheck a box which allows the info to be shared?

Regardless why do you think that having a dissability will affect your chances for the course? I have been told that sometimes the reverse is true, don't unversities have to have a certain ratio of disabled students enrolled to prevent discrimination? My daughter suffers anxiety (sometimes severe) with her A/S and she got an offer from every uni she applied to, That's where DSA comes into it's own, to ensure the correct support is in place to try to help keep the study anxieties in check.
Reply 6
Original post by angelsww
When you have a DSA assessment, don't you either check or uncheck a box which allows the info to be shared?

Regardless why do you think that having a dissability will affect your chances for the course? I have been told that sometimes the reverse is true, don't unversities have to have a certain ratio of disabled students enrolled to prevent discrimination? My daughter suffers anxiety (sometimes severe) with her A/S and she got an offer from every uni she applied to, That's where DSA comes into it's own, to ensure the correct support is in place to try to help keep the study anxieties in check.

Oh I don't believe having a disability affects you obtaining offers (I like your daughter received an offer from all 5 universities despite having my disability clearly pointed out on my application.) I just worry that (and I could be wrong) if I for whatever reason don't meet the conditions of my offer, but there are one or two spaces left to be filled and it comes down to myself and another student who missed out on their offer by a similar margin, I feel i would at that point maybe be at a disadvantage, as a student without any mental health problems is likely to be thought by an admissions tutor to be more reliable academically.

But I of course hope this isn't the case.
Reply 7
Original post by Alejandro
I just worry that (and I could be wrong) if I for whatever reason don't meet the conditions of my offer, but there are one or two spaces left to be filled and it comes down to myself and another student who missed out on their offer by a similar margin, I feel i would at that point maybe be at a disadvantage, as a student without any mental health problems is likely to be thought by an admissions tutor to be more reliable academically.

But I of course hope this isn't the case.

They won't just look at your academic record. They (if relevant to the course) would also look at work experience, extra curricular activities, etc.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending