The Student Room Group
University of York
York

Unconditional offer for York 2013 (deferred from 2012)

I'm trying to find anyone who's got an unconditional offer/deferred their entry from last year for York uni? Particularly anyone thinking about going to Derwent? And doing history...

Basically has anyone had any info as there's only a couple of weeks till we can choose accommodation.
Reply 1
I deferred entry and I'm going to York ... but that's about all we have in common I'm afraid :P

I'm going for New Vanbrugh and I'm studying Politics.

I was looking at this earlier, and apparently we get to chose our accommodation on the 7th of August -

http://www.york.ac.uk/about/departments/support-and-admin/accommodation/new-students/new-ug/booking/
University of York
York
I'm doing history and already have an unconditional offer :smile: Still not sure which college to go for though!
Reply 3
Original post by CurtisJB
I deferred entry and I'm going to York ... but that's about all we have in common I'm afraid :P

I'm going for New Vanbrugh and I'm studying Politics.

I was looking at this earlier, and apparently we get to chose our accommodation on the 7th of August -

http://www.york.ac.uk/about/departments/support-and-admin/accommodation/new-students/new-ug/booking/

awesome, i'm going for new vanbrugh.. i think anyway.

i have a feeling it'll be full of gap year students since it seems like it'll be a lot of people's first choice.

what's everyone been up to on their gap years by the way?
Reply 4
Original post by Tridentus
awesome, i'm going for new vanbrugh.. i think anyway.

i have a feeling it'll be full of gap year students since it seems like it'll be a lot of people's first choice.

what's everyone been up to on their gap years by the way?

i've had a gap year and going for new vanbrugh too :smile:

i've been working at a zoo in mine haha, bit random really!
Reply 5
Original post by ohrtlyx
i've had a gap year and going for new vanbrugh too :smile:

a zoo? as jobs go, that's pretty awesome!

did you get to work with any good animals?

i've always planned to try doing the animal conservation thing in south africa or something one of these summers, would be sweet.
Reply 6
a zoo? as jobs go, that's pretty awesome!

did you get to work with any good animals?

i've always planned to try doing the animal conservation thing in south africa or something one of these summers, would be sweet.

yeah it's not bad but it's totally not as cool as it sounds, i just work in the gift shops haha, pretty cool getting to see the animals every day though!

that does sound cool, i just really wanna go to thailand and ride an elephant!
Reply 7
Original post by ohrtlyx

My gap year hasn't been anywhere near as exciting to be honest ... I've literally done nothing. Quite bad really, but oh well!

I work two days a week anyway, but other than that I've just sat around. The only positive to come out of my gap year is that I've done quite a bit of background reading on my subject - I even managed to get one of my Uni textbooks off amazon for 1p which is nice.

What is everyone studying?
Reply 8
Original post by ohrtlyx
yeah it's not bad but it's totally not as cool as it sounds, i just work in the gift shops haha, pretty cool getting to see the animals every day though!

that does sound cool, i just really wanna go to thailand and ride an elephant!

yeah still free zoo-time lol, that's how i'd see it anyway.

funny you should say that, i'm going thailand this september! i've been wanting to ride an elephant too- it'll make my life complete :P

i saw what you said about being in a sociable flat in the other thread.. that's kinda my main concern with the flat system too. at least there are 10-12 to a floor, so there should be a fair amount of people to meet right away.
Reply 9
yeah still free zoo-time lol, that's how i'd see it anyway.

funny you should say that, i'm going thailand this september! i've been wanting to ride an elephant too- it'll make my life complete :P

i saw what you said about being in a sociable flat in the other thread.. that's kinda my main concern with the flat system too. at least there are 10-12 to a floor, so there should be a fair amount of people to meet right away.

i am incredibly jealous!!

yeah that's what i figured, with that many flatmates it should be pretty sociable and not too quiet i'm hoping!
Reply 10
My gap year hasn't been anywhere near as exciting to be honest ... I've literally done nothing. Quite bad really, but oh well!

I work two days a week anyway, but other than that I've just sat around. The only positive to come out of my gap year is that I've done quite a bit of background reading on my subject - I even managed to get one of my Uni textbooks off amazon for 1p which is nice.

What is everyone studying?

haha i've been doing a lot of reading on my subject as well, living such a thrilling life.

i'm studying english language and linguistics :smile:
Reply 11
I was thinking of going to Derwent? But it sounds like new vanbrugh's the place...

Can i ask why its being called 'new' vanbrugh? I'm kind of confused now haha
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by ojtaylor
I was thinking of going to Derwent? But it sounds like new vanbrugh's the place...

Can i ask why its being called 'new' vanbrugh? I'm kind of confused now haha

i think it's just cos it's the newest accommodation and it's set a bit further out from the rest of the old vanbrugh buildings, that's just what i'm assuming!
Reply 13
Original post by ohrtlyx
i think it's just cos it's the newest accommodation and it's set a bit further out from the rest of the old vanbrugh buildings, that's just what i'm assuming!

Yeah, 'new' Vanbrugh is literally just the newest accommodation in Vanbrugh - Barbara Scott and Donald Barron are the two 'new Vanbrugh' buildings :smile:

I got an email yesterday with some joining instructions and stuff, did everyone else?

We get to apply for accommodation tomorrow, I've only just realised :O
Yeah, 'new' Vanbrugh is literally just the newest accommodation in Vanbrugh - Barbara Scott and Donald Barron are the two 'new Vanbrugh' buildings :smile:

I got an email yesterday with some joining instructions and stuff, did everyone else?

We get to apply for accommodation tomorrow, I've only just realised :O

yep i did.

omg.. i'm applying in 8 hours and i still haven't fully decided yet.
Reply 15
I deferred my place to go and start a mechanical engineering apprenticeship but spent the full year getting treated like just some useless female so quit :smile: I'm studying CompSci with AI this year so I've gone with Langwith College :smile:
Reply 16
Hi,What grades do you have to achieve to get an unconditional offer?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Original post by ceylon
Hi,What grades do you have to achieve to get an unconditional offer?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi. Three A's was my offer, though when I first got my results I got 2 A's and 2 B's (it ended up being 3 A's and a B in the end) and they gave me an unconditional. But yeah, 3 A's :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending