The Student Room Group

Aberdeen Medical Applicants 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by letsbehonest
Do they look at personal statement at any stage? So if my personal statement turns out to be rubbish, I still stand a chance? Sounds good just in case I get rejected by the rest of my unis which all look at ps to different extents pre interview. Aberdeen is my top choice anyway :biggrin:

It'll be read before interview to form the basis of several questions. If its absolute rubbish then that will have a negative effect on you getting an interview regardless of your score though.
Original post by Becca-Sarah
It'll be read before interview to form the basis of several questions. If its absolute rubbish then that will have a negative effect on you getting an interview regardless of your score though.

Cool! :biggrin:
Hi I'm debating between Nottingham and Aberdeen? Most likely to go for Aberdeen tho but not sure

4 A*s 4As 2Bs 2Cs at GCSE,( Science A*A*A at science, A* maths and B English lang)

AAB at AS Levels, currently taking a 4th As Level during year 13 predicted AAA and A for the fourth AS level

Ukcat 702.5 average, band 1, VR:530. AR:720 QR:750 DA:810 TOTAL:2810

Which one am I best off applying to? Aberdeen or Nottingham? I'm noy predicted any A*s even tho I got 90%s in my maths AS level -.- but Nottingham want high GCSEs and have a ukcat cut off for each section and I got 530 VR :frown: any advice?

My other choices are keele, Leeds, Manchester :smile:
Original post by flamegoblin0
Hi I'm debating between Nottingham and Aberdeen? Most likely to go for Aberdeen tho but not sure

4 A*s 4As 2Bs 2Cs at GCSE,( Science A*A*A at science, A* maths and B English lang)

AAB at AS Levels, currently taking a 4th As Level during year 13 predicted AAA and A for the fourth AS level

Ukcat 702.5 average, band 1, VR:530. AR:720 QR:750 DA:810 TOTAL:2810

Which one am I best off applying to? Aberdeen or Nottingham? I'm noy predicted any A*s even tho I got 90%s in my maths AS level -.- but Nottingham want high GCSEs and have a ukcat cut off for each section and I got 530 VR :frown: any advice?

My other choices are keele, Leeds, Manchester :smile:

There are massive differences between Aberdeen and Nottingham, in terms of how they teach medicine, the local
culture, what kind of places you'll get sent on away placements.... Look beyond the admissions process. You have to spend five years in one of these places if you get in, so pick wisely.
There are massive differences between Aberdeen and Nottingham, in terms of how they teach medicine, the local
culture, what kind of places you'll get sent on away placements.... Look beyond the admissions process. You have to spend five years in one of these places if you get in, so pick wisely.

I like both in terms of culture and city , I'm jot very very picky, but I'm wondering which oke I have a better chance at just for reference. Any idea?
Also I think my personal statement is my string point :/
I have taken the Singapore-Cambridge GCE 'A' Levels and have achieved the following
(The highest possible grade achievable is 'A' and not 'A*' )
H3 Level subject is of a higher standard compared to an A level Subject.
results:

Pharmaceutical Chemistry (H3) : Merit
Biology (H2) A
Chemistry (H2) A
Mathematics (H2) B
Economics (H1) A
Project Work (H1) A
General Paper (H1) C
Tamil Language (H1) E/Pass

I have taken the UK CAT and have attained the following results:

Verbal Reasoning : 520
Quantitative Analysis : 730
Abstract Reasoning : 900
Decision Analysis : 750
SJ : B3

Total : 2900, Average: 725

My Singapore-Cambridge GCE 'O' Levels are as follows:
(The highest possible grade achievable is 'A1' and not 'A*' )

English Language B4
Physics A2
Chemistry A2
Biology A2
Elementary Mathematics A1
Additional Mathematics A2
Combined Humanities (Geography + Social Studies) A1
Tamil Language C6/Merit

I was wondering if I have a chance of getting through to the interviews if I were to apply.

Best Regards,
U Bhalraam
A*A*A*A / A*A*A*A* predictions and 665 UKCAT, worth applying or is my UKCAT likely not high enough?
Reply 128
Original post by TheMysteryMan
A*A*A*A / A*A*A*A* predictions and 665 UKCAT, worth applying or is my UKCAT likely not high enough?

Your UKCAT is fine :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by prafto
Your UKCAT is fine :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think I might give it a shot. Any idea if theres more points given to A* predictions and/or 4 A2 predictions?
Original post by TheMysteryMan
I think I might give it a shot. Any idea if theres more points given to A* predictions and/or 4 A2 predictions?

A* yes, 4A2's no :smile:

So achieved A*AA will have more points than achieved AAA?

Sorry to bombard you with questions again.

What's the night life like?

Is it expensive to eat out? Like your regular curry or Chinese

How did you find the transition between A level and Uni? Were you thrown in at the deep end?
Sorry to bombard you with questions again.

What's the night life like?

Is it expensive to eat out? Like your regular curry or Chinese

How did you find the transition between A level and Uni? Were you thrown in at the deep end?

There's the usual nightlife that you'd expect from a reasonable sized city - there's a bit of something for everyone.

The sheer volume of takeaway leaflets in my hallway suggest a curry would cost you about £8. I've never found eating in restaurants to be any more expensive here than elsewhere in (non-London) UK cities.

I had a gap year so there was less of a transition from A levels as they were less fresh in my memory! The course has changed significantly from when I started to lessen the 'deep end' feeling and the initial module is designed to get everyone up to speed on the basic chemistry and biology you need for the rest of the course. I don't think I felt particularly thrown in though, even on the old 'learn all the anatomy in four months' course :dontknow:
There's the usual nightlife that you'd expect from a reasonable sized city - there's a bit of something for everyone.

The sheer volume of takeaway leaflets in my hallway suggest a curry would cost you about £8. I've never found eating in restaurants to be any more expensive here than elsewhere in (non-London) UK cities.

I had a gap year so there was less of a transition from A levels as they were less fresh in my memory! The course has changed significantly from when I started to lessen the 'deep end' feeling and the initial module is designed to get everyone up to speed on the basic chemistry and biology you need for the rest of the course. I don't think I felt particularly thrown in though, even on the old 'learn all the anatomy in four months' course :dontknow:

Sounds fun! :eek:

Did you get much free time in your first year?
Sounds fun! :eek:

Did you get much free time in your first year?

I don't really remember! This is year six for me now, so it was a while ago!
Hi, I am thinking of applying to Aberdeen for medicine. My profile is as follows:

GCSE: 3A's 5B's 1C (Extenuating circumstances)

AS Level: A-Biology
A-Maths
A-Chemistry
B-Physics
UKCAT- 687.5
A2 Predictions- A*AA
Work Exp/Volunteering: 1 week shadowing a consultant
2 weeks in care home
4 months in hospice charity shop
7 months in hospital wards
Volunteer for hospice and Alzheimer's society

Do you think it's a good idea to apply to Aberdeen? Any advice would be great! :smile:
Original post by ScienceGUYY
Hi, I am thinking of applying to Aberdeen for medicine. My profile is as follows:

GCSE: 3A's 5B's 1C (Extenuating circumstances)

AS Level: A-Biology
A-Maths
A-Chemistry
B-Physics
UKCAT- 687.5
A2 Predictions- A*AA
Work Exp/Volunteering: 1 week shadowing a consultant
2 weeks in care home
4 months in hospice charity shop
7 months in hospital wards
Volunteer for hospice and Alzheimer's society

Do you think it's a good idea to apply to Aberdeen? Any advice would be great! :smile:

The only bit you're being assessed on is the predicted A2 grades and UKCAT score, so it's looking good :smile:
The only bit you're being assessed on is the predicted A2 grades and UKCAT score, so it's looking good :smile:

Thank you :smile:
Aberdeen are only using A2 and UKCAT to short list interviews but on their website, they say they look and score the remaining information on the ucas form :s-smilie:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending