The Student Room Group

Longest you have ever walked, ran or cycled for

Scroll to see replies

Original post by brocklehurst95
Ok, it might've been 12/ 13 or something. 18km whatever that was. And we weren't constantly walking, you do need to rest. It's much more difficult to walk quickly with 18kg of stuff on your back, walking over hills and getting lost.

A typical walking pace is 3-4mph, admittedly slower if you are getting lost and carrying equipment over rough terrain, but ~1mph is rather slow by any reckoning.
Original post by Observatory
A typical walking pace is 3-4mph, admittedly slower if you are getting lost and carrying equipment over rough terrain, but ~1mph is rather slow by any reckoning.

Wow, when I posted a harmless comment I didn't expect to get scrutinised for our group's slow walking pace. I could defend myself about why our group walked slowly but as you're someone who comes out of nowhere just to pointlessly comment on here, you're not worth it.
100 mile race took me 22 hours. Was destroyed by the end.
Reply 63
Are you sure your parents haven't exiled you to a boot camp? :wink: what city do you go to school in then? :smile:

Yep, that was about the limit of our compulsory walking we had at our school. Then I decided to do gold D of E :tongue:

What would've been even worse was if you'd been going the wrong way though... then all that fun would've been for nothing haha :wink:

Hahaa I'm not too sure:holmes:

And I really want to do gold DofE! Our school does it over the lake district and I really want to go there, its so beautiful:') and it's over four days too which is even better!:mmm:

And yeah that would be really annoying:P

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 64
I walked a few 10+ milers recently so probably one of those, but they were up and down the mountains of the Lake District too! Cycling is 18 miles I think, the length of the Camel Trail, and running is probably only about 3 haha.
Reply 65
five years ago I walked/jogged/ran 92 miles through rough terrain trying to escape my captors
Reply 66
Walk: 45 miles
Run: 7 miles
Cycle: 60 miles
Walked 15km in france, ran like 700m from college to train station, cycled 50km in Netherlands although it all seemed gently downhill :s

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Elala
Hahaa I'm not too sure:holmes:

And I really want to do gold DofE! Our school does it over the lake district and I really want to go there, its so beautiful:') and it's over four days too which is even better!:mmm:

And yeah that would be really annoying!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well we've only done the practice so far, and we relied so much on our leader haha. He went to the nearest shops and bought us all chocolate and pizza :biggrin:

Yeah, for us it's not that far from the lake district so it's ideal! Plus, after doing glacial landforms in geography, I'd be able to spot them whilst walking there :tongue:

Have you done bronze or silver D of E? :smile:
Reply 69
Well we've only done the practice so far, and we relied so much on our leader haha. He went to the nearest shops and bought us all chocolate and pizza :biggrin:

Yeah, for us it's not that far from the lake district so it's ideal! Plus, after doing glacial landforms in geography, I'd be able to spot them whilst walking there :tongue:

Have you done bronze or silver D of E? :smile:

Ahh! We weren't allowed to buy anything at all otherwise we would all get disqualified! So if we wanted something we had to bring it with us!

And oo that's exciting! How can you tell? :O

And it was our bronze, but sir said we can skip straight to gold if we like, then do two extra practices:')

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ran 14km. Not sure about cycling or walking. Next goal is to get over 15km and then 20km.
Original post by Elala
Ahh! We weren't allowed to buy anything at all otherwise we would all get disqualified! So if we wanted something we had to bring it with us!

And oo that's exciting! How can you tell? :O

And it was our bronze, but sir said we can skip straight to gold if we like, then do two extra practices:')

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, weren't allowed to buy anything either, but we did anyone. But don't tell anyone :wink:

Well for AS geography, we did loads of work looking at landforms, some of which are pretty cool. Every time I go to the lake district I look out for them (sad, I know) :tongue:. But they're very difficult to describe without completely derailing the thread...

Aah, I wanted to do bronze but was ill when everyone got told about it! So I made up for it and went straight to gold. It took my feet about 2 months to fully recover :dontknow:
Reply 72
Walked: 10 miles
Ran: 13.1 miles
Cycled: 32 miles
Reply 73
Walked 24miles
Cycked 30miles
Never ran haha
Reply 74
No, weren't allowed to buy anything either, but we did anyone. But don't tell anyone :wink:

Well for AS geography, we did loads of work looking at landforms, some of which are pretty cool. Every time I go to the lake district I look out for them (sad, I know) :tongue:. But they're very difficult to describe without completely derailing the thread...

Aah, I wanted to do bronze but was ill when everyone got told about it! So I made up for it and went straight to gold. It took my feet about 2 months to fully recover :dontknow:

Ahh thats cool, I'll have to Google it and check it out!

And I'm really quite excited for our gold one! It's gonna be a laugh! What size backpacks did you take?

Posted from TSR Mobile
One of the TSR staff did a 100km run non-stop recently for charity :biggrin:
Cant remember exactly but spent 15+ hours on Borris bikes.I found out i got a major fine a few days later.
Original post by Elala
Ahh thats cool, I'll have to Google it and check it out!

And I'm really quite excited for our gold one! It's gonna be a laugh! What size backpacks did you take?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Go for it! I wouldn't recommend going to the alps and watching them though, they take thousands of years to form.... Did you take geography? :smile:

I was surprised at how much I enjoyed it, considering it's 4 days of walking. I think it brought us closer as a group :smile: But it tests your patience as well as stamina haha :tongue:

Well I just bought a recommended D of E bag from the internet haha, it was a 60 litre one I think :smile: just about managed to fit everything in!
Walked 30 miles for 4 days in a row so 120 miles total.

Pretty emotional.
Reply 79
I walked from Liverpool Pier Head to Southport City Centre once to raise money for Help for Heroes, it took 8 hours altogether I think it was about 23 miles :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest