The Student Room Group

Taking a gap year but have nothing to do with my life

So I decided to take a gap year since I wasn't really enjoying my university and wanted to transfer but had ran out of time for starting in 2023 (I'm entering my second year BTW). I really didn't want to do a gap year since I hated the town I grew up in and living with my parents but I felt I had no choice. I live in Poole which is essentially one of the seaside towns that was popular in like the 1950's but has rapidly declined since then. Truth is I'm an introvert and don't have many friends so I usually lack things to do aside from shopping in town or going to the gym I don't know how to find any social clubs and events. While I've been looking for a job I always have a hard time finding one and even if I do I would still have little to do. This isn't helped by the fact I'm now living with my parents specifically my dad who is pressurizing me because I never have any plans to do anything outside the house. I guess just miss the independence of living from home being able to do what I want when I want without having to worry about what my parents think. I have been planning to do some work experience abroad but that probably won't be until January so I'm stuck here until then. So yeah right now I feel pretty trapped with my life taking a gap year and all. A part of me is considering continuing uni into the second year just to escape it all but I know damn well I'll regret that as I don't enjoy the uni and probably won't get to transfer until my masters. Sorry that I've just been venting on here I just got a lot going on in my head but if anyone has some advice of things I can do during my gap year right now that would be cool.
Original post by JackNorris516
So I decided to take a gap year since I wasn't really enjoying my university and wanted to transfer but had ran out of time for starting in 2023 (I'm entering my second year BTW). I really didn't want to do a gap year since I hated the town I grew up in and living with my parents but I felt I had no choice. I live in Poole which is essentially one of the seaside towns that was popular in like the 1950's but has rapidly declined since then. Truth is I'm an introvert and don't have many friends so I usually lack things to do aside from shopping in town or going to the gym I don't know how to find any social clubs and events. While I've been looking for a job I always have a hard time finding one and even if I do I would still have little to do. This isn't helped by the fact I'm now living with my parents specifically my dad who is pressurizing me because I never have any plans to do anything outside the house. I guess just miss the independence of living from home being able to do what I want when I want without having to worry about what my parents think. I have been planning to do some work experience abroad but that probably won't be until January so I'm stuck here until then. So yeah right now I feel pretty trapped with my life taking a gap year and all. A part of me is considering continuing uni into the second year just to escape it all but I know damn well I'll regret that as I don't enjoy the uni and probably won't get to transfer until my masters. Sorry that I've just been venting on here I just got a lot going on in my head but if anyone has some advice of things I can do during my gap year right now that would be cool.

I have a long list of ideas that you can do in a gap year, but rather than just give you random ideas I want to make it relevant. What degree are you doing and what do you intend to do after your degree?

It would make more sense to apply for an internship of some sort, ideally in the City.

In terms of work, I also don't want to recommend you random jobs when they have no relevance to what you want to do and doesn't help you in any capacity in the future.

If you can be a lot more specific about the above, I should be able to help you narrow things down.

I would also check whether you would need counselling or life coaching with the above
Reply 2
Original post by MindMax2000
I have a long list of ideas that you can do in a gap year, but rather than just give you random ideas I want to make it relevant. What degree are you doing and what do you intend to do after your degree?

It would make more sense to apply for an internship of some sort, ideally in the City.

In terms of work, I also don't want to recommend you random jobs when they have no relevance to what you want to do and doesn't help you in any capacity in the future.

If you can be a lot more specific about the above, I should be able to help you narrow things down.

I would also check whether you would need counselling or life coaching with the above

Right now I'm studying Film and TV. However I've also considered writing and journalism
Original post by JackNorris516
Right now I'm studying Film and TV. However I've also considered writing and journalism

Well, those are not easy industries to get into.

Gap year ideas include:

Go and work/volunteer in the publishing/journalism/film (you don't need a degree to get in)

Get a qualification that would help with getting higher paying work beyond minimum wage (irrespective of whether it's related to your chosen career or not)

Write (book, play, novel, whatever) - always something worth doing since it only costs you your time

Vlog your experiences - travel maybe?

Travel abroad (allowing for Covid restrictions)

Start a side business - check to see if your university would allow you to continue running your business during uni

Travel abroad to volunteer (consider saving up £2k to do this)

Work abroad e.g. hospitality, construction, translation, etc.

See relatives and extended families

Pick up new skills - especially if it brings in a lot of income and is in high demand for the next 5-10 years

Create a course

Learn to dance (in whatever style you want)

Learn to cook

Learn to sell and market

Read certain books in literature and nonfiction that are highly prized/considered classics

Watch movies that are acclaimed and are in the top 100

Work on a cruiseliner (won't be able to leave the ship for X months, but you get quite a bit of money - don't waste it all)

Make a low budget film - something key if you want to get into film and TV; I think Christopher Nolan did some student film projects whilst he was at LSE before he made it into mainstream filmmaking

Learn public speaking

Become the fittest that you ever been (not thinnest) - at least clean up your diet

Grow your own food - e.g. allotment if you don't have the space in your garden

Do X for charity e.g. marathon, cycle, walk, whatever

Make your own wine/cheese

Learn to manage your finances and investments

Learn to drive if you haven't already

Qualifications that you can look into getting:

SCAE, tea sommelier, cheese connoiseur, wine sommelier, beer sommelier/cicerone, sake sommelier, whiskey amabasador, mixology - anything else related to drinking and food

Chef qualification from a brand name institution e.g. Cordon Bleu - especially if you want to become a food critic

CIPR - the official public relations qualifications for the UK, nice to have if you intend to do something related to journalism (https://www.cipr.co.uk/qualifications)

Licenses - fancy driving a motorcycle, lorry, forklift, bus?

Bartending certificates - some bartending schools will allow you to work with them upon completing their course e.g. European Bartending School (which also has bars across the world)

Teaching English as a Foreign Language recommend CELTA or Trinity CertTESOL; applicable if you intend to travel

Do note for any qualification Level 3 or under recognised under the NVQ framework you would need to likely fund for yourself, unless you decide to take out and Advanced Learner's Loan

If you do anything interesting, I would document everything so you would have something to write about for something related to journalism, TV, or writing. It can be useful when you mention it during an interview.

As you are only free for a year, you would only be able to manage a handful of things, so you should choose carefully.
As money is short and you're trying to crack difficult industries to get into, consider moving to the City for the year. You would need to spend a lot of time networking (so you would have to pick up the necessary social skills quickly). Networking is key because it's a quicker and easier way to get jobs than through applications in general, and usually having the right connections would sometimes give you the big break that you would need.

Quick Reply

Latest