The Student Room Group

Cambridge College

Hi ya! I was wondering if anyone could help me find a match for a Cambridge College- I have less than a week to decide! I want to study history and politics at a College that does not have insane application numbers (like Kings). I'm from NI and tend to work way too hard at times, so having a College with a great social life, people and clubs (not just sports) is really important to me. I want to be in the town centre as Im split between Sidgwick and New Museum Site. I'd prefer rooms I could share with friends/houses and are not crazy rent lol. Good welfare and support system would be great. Im currently considering Quuen's and Clare's but will take any recommendations or advice, thanks!
Reply 1
Oh and also a good library! I don't have a lot of lectures so that is important. Do you also know if you'd be able to study in (not borrow books) from other college libraries?
Original post by Anonymous
Hi ya! I was wondering if anyone could help me find a match for a Cambridge College- I have less than a week to decide! I want to study history and politics at a College that does not have insane application numbers (like Kings). I'm from NI and tend to work way too hard at times, so having a College with a great social life, people and clubs (not just sports) is really important to me. I want to be in the town centre as Im split between Sidgwick and New Museum Site. I'd prefer rooms I could share with friends/houses and are not crazy rent lol. Good welfare and support system would be great. Im currently considering Quuen's and Clare's but will take any recommendations or advice, thanks!
I’m speaking as someone who went to neither Clare nor Queens but both strike me as colleges with quite a bit going on. There’s also a big range of university-wide societies so don’t feel limited by what your college has to offer.
From a quick google, Clare library seems to be open 5:30am-12am and Queens from 7am-2am, if that has any influence. In general you can’t study in other college libraries but a friend may be able to let you in to theirs - I’ve been to a few others without any problem, the only issues I’ve ever heard of are boyfriends being snuck into women’s college libraries:colondollar: . There are a number of faculty libraries that are open to students outside of their subject, such as the law library but you can do some digging to find others, and theres’s a nice study space in West Hub on the West Cambridge Site if you fancied the walk/cycle out for a change of scenery.

I went to Newnham - I don’t know if that’s an option for you (it’s a women’s college) but it’s near Sidgwick site, 20 min walk/5-10min cycle into town, has lovely gardens, good brunch, and a nice range of societies. Selwyn is over the road and also has nice grounds, good brunch, and societies of which I only have experience of their music society.

You can also have a look at the application statistics for each college here, if you hadn’t found it already: https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/apply/statistics

Best of luck with your application! Generally people love whichever college they end up in, and lots of pooling goes on anyway so if you’re torn just go for whichever one you get the best vibes from!
(edited 7 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending