The Student Room Group

Arsenal are not a big club

I was watching the Emirates Cup in my spacious three bedroom studio flat in Surrey. I had my feet up on my £400 glass table, sipping on a cappuccino and puffing on my thick, tobacco-infested cigar whilst watching Didier Drogba & Co. tear Arsenal apart on their own home soil. It brought a smile to my face in many ways - the way Drogba smashed Arsenal's back-doors in at the tender age of 35 and the way the Turks slapped and manhandled Arsenal like a ragged doll. It was very entertaining from a neutral perspective. Champions League? You're having a ****ing laugh.

Lets face it, Arsenal are in shambles. They no longer have that fear factor in the Premier League. The Emirates is not a fortress, top European players don't want to play for Wenger, and their fans are fickle. The summer transfer window so far has been embarrassing for Arsenal fans. They have been out-muscled by the likes of Napoli and have been shut out by Liverpool. There is NOT A CHANCE Suarez is going to Arsenal. And even if he did, Arsenal will stil be a mediocre team fighting for...nothing.

I also find it humorous that Arsenal fans big-up Jack "out for 90% of the season" Wilshere a bit too much. Whats all the hype about? He's an average player but has proven to all of us that he can't play at the top level. Its far too physical for him. He needs to move to France or La Liga at least that way his hamstring wont go every two days.

So what does every one think? Are Arsenal still a big club? I think most of us can agree they're not. They show no ambition and have not come close to winning anything for 8 years. Their reputation has gone down the gutter.
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

You know its completely true... 5th spot is all you will get this season...
Reply 2
arsenal have recently paid off all their debts and they have a budget of over £70m, they should be able to land some quality player in the emirates by the end of the summer...
Original post by Boss's
arsenal have recently paid off all their debts and they have a budget of over £70m, they should be able to land some quality player in the emirates by the end of the summer...

By "quality" you mean an U21 from an unknown league in Uzbekistan?
Reply 4
They're a big club, debt free, non-sugar daddy funded, quality stadium, champions league football (guaranteed CL football if Bale leaves), and seem to have about 40m to spend with a proven manager.
It's all pre-season.

But if Arsenal continue their trend of buying no one expect them to drop out of the top 4 in one season or the other.

They are a big club in the sense they have a massive fanbase and often finish near the top but they are flirting heavily with it.

Liverpool are only a big club by fanbase and history. Arsenal could fall.
So youre saying teams that cant afford to pay £60 million world class players arent big clubs? So you're saying clubs like Ajax, Rangers and Celtic arent big clubs? A 'big club' is defined by the amount of fans the team has throughout the world and believe me, you're not going to find many places where you see no one with an Arsenal top.
Thank God you specified how expensive your glass table is
It's a pre-season friendly... Means **** all.
Arsenal are massive domestically. Don't be stupid. Can't say they're big in Europe until they've got one of these though :cool:
Original post by Pennyarcade
So youre saying teams that cant afford to pay £60 million world class players arent big clubs? So you're saying clubs like Ajax, Rangers and Celtic arent big clubs? A 'big club' is defined by the amount of fans the team has throughout the world and believe me, you're not going to find many places where you see no one with an Arsenal top.

No? When did I say that? I said they have funds.. but no one wants to go there BECAUSE THEY ARENT A BIG CLUB.

Ajax and Celtic have a decent history. Arsenal don't have a history. Sorry but Arsenal have never been dominant in Europe and winning the Premier League 4 times is very minuscule compared to what Liverpool + United have achieved.
Original post by Pennyarcade

Rangers for now
aren't a big club. They have poor players, in the muddy depths of Scottish League.

Celtic in Scotland is the only thing keeping it alive. Ajax is big in its own country, still cannon fodder for Big UK/Spain/Italy/German/French teams (except for blips I.E City).

All 3 of those big clubs are big in their own country but rather feeble on the global scale. Can't name many Gers/Celts/Ajax fans outside their country.
Reply 12
Original post by jd1997
They're a big club, debt free, non-sugar daddy funded, quality stadium, champions league football (guaranteed CL football if Bale leaves), and seem to have about 40m to spend with a proven manager.

this.
funnily enough i've been ranting a lot about arsenal lately because, although i'm not a supporter, i've always admired their style of play and wenger's financial capabilities.
however they should be challenging for the title every season but instead they're content with just struggling to reach the top 4. this is because of their insistence on buying young, or players with limited talent (until last season).
however, this doesn't mean that they aren't a big club.
all it means is, they're just not reaching their potential atm. they're size is showed by their top 4 finishes, their large revenues and profits, their stadium size, popularity across the world etc...
Original post by Francis Jeffers
No? When did I say that? I said they have funds.. but no one wants to go there BECAUSE THEY ARENT A BIG CLUB.

Ajax and Celtic have a decent history. Arsenal don't have a history. Sorry but Arsenal have never been dominant in Europe and winning the Premier League 4 times is very minuscule compared to what Liverpool + United have achieved.

Suarez reportedly want to go there.

History is just history. Not. Forest had a decent history but now look where they are.

Liverpool have achieved no premier league titles. Arsenal have around 10 Titles. More than Chelsea, Man City.
Original post by Wilfred Little
Arsenal are massive domestically. Don't be stupid. Can't say they're big in Europe until they've got one of these though :cool:

If Arsenal are a big club so are Everton.

Everton have done nothing. Their biggest achievement for decades is finishing above Liverpool, quite frankly.

Can't put them in the same boat.

Everton are domestically big too. Traditionally they've both made up part of the big 6.

United, Liverpool, Arsenal, Villa, Spurs, Everton.

Those clubs are the daddies of English football. Nobody else.
Original post by xxxKINGxxx
Everton have done nothing. Their biggest achievement for decades is finishing above Liverpool, quite frankly.

Can't put them in the same boat.

They both haven't won anything for the last 8 years...

No, you're wrong. Its not because they arent a big club. Players dont give a **** if the club is big or not, all they care about is getting the highest wage. Unfortunately the arsenal board does not let them pay players above roughly 100k per week, and in the case of suarez he was wanting upwards of 200k per week. Man Utd can attract their transfer targets this season, so are they not a big club?
(edited 10 years ago)
So much stupidity in this thread I don't even know where to begin.

Quick Reply

Latest