The Student Room Group

Senior UKIP politician uses the term "bongo bongo land" and lands himself in trouble

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Ukip are the representatives for the middle aged and elderly white voter - it's hardly racist to point that out. Indeed, they are the party for racist voters who don't openly want to be seen as racist - they have succeeded in making it respectable to vote for a race party again. This had to happen in the UK, where respectability matters more - extreme right wing race parties on the continent like the Front Nationale in France, also bang on about the EU, but don't work as hard to hide their blatant racism. This is just an example of it leaking out.

Of course, Farage himself isn't particularly racist, but he recognises a good electoral card when he sees one - Ukip were languishing until they started slavering about immigration!

I am an Asian teenager who supports UKIP. I am not a racist. UKIP are the only party that kicks racist BNP members out of their party.

UKIP is also the only party which questions why there are former BNP members serving as Labour councillors. Seems evident that Labour are actually inviting in the racists - not UKIP.

Farage has always been anti-unskilled immigration, which we don't need as we have 1 million youth unemployment in Britain already.

Apart from knowing me, you either know everything else I've said and are just being conveniently deceptive or are just fantastically misinformed.
Original post by Skip_Snip
To be fair thinking that immigration could be slowed down isn't racist, like at all.

It's become political code for acceptable racism. There may be sound objective grounds for not wanting the UK population to rise too sharply, or for wanting educated, healthy, non-criminal migrants and not the reverse, but that isn't why Ukip have recently decided to climb all over the issue.
Original post by jcarz
I am an Asian teenager who supports UKIP. I am not a racist. UKIP are the only party that kicks racist BNP members out of their party.

UKIP is also the only party which questions why there are former BNP members serving as Labour councillors. Seems evident that Labour are actually inviting in the racists - not UKIP.

Farage has always been anti-unskilled immigration, which we don't need as we have 1 million youth unemployment in Britain already.

Apart from knowing me, you either know everything else I've said and are just being conveniently deceptive or are just fantastically misinformed.

I assume you must be in a tiny minority in the party, since whenever we see them on the tele, they are mainly middle-aged and white.

The backlash against recent immigrants from established Asian migrants is depressing and cowardly - one might think that as the past recipients of racism, they would decide to side with the underdog - but alas, they seek to gain favour with the dominant community by aping their racist approach. Shame.
Where do you believe Bongo Bongo Land to be then? Which part of the world was he talking about?

It doesn't exist so it's not anywhere :facepalm2:

He was talking about corrupt third world countries in general.
It's become political code for acceptable racism. There may be sound objective grounds for not wanting the UK population to rise too sharply, or for wanting educated, healthy, non-criminal migrants and not the reverse, but that isn't why Ukip have recently decided to climb all over the issue.

UKIP have been expounding the same message for over a decade. Watch this (amusing) PPB from 2005, for instance:

[video="youtube;UgfQwhKkVR8"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgfQwhKkVR8[/video]

If one requires "political code" to talk about immigration then that is the fault of those who have redefined what is and is not "acceptable".

Apposite news article from today: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/10230468/UK-has-fastest-growing-population-in-Europe.html

"Britain has the fastest growing population in Europe, boosted by immigration and an accelerating baby boom, according to official figures. "

"There were 813,200 births in the UK in the 12 months to June 2012, the highest number since 1972. Of those 25.9 per cent had a foreign born mother. By contrast 10 years earlier only one in six new mothers were born abroad. "
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Joeman560
It doesn't exist so it's not anywhere :facepalm2:

He was talking about corrupt third world countries in general.

:rofl:

He meant Africa and you know it and so does the public and so do the Ukip PR people who designed the stunt.
I assume you must be in a tiny minority in the party, since whenever we see them on the tele, they are mainly middle-aged and white.

The backlash against recent immigrants from established Asian migrants is depressing and cowardly - one might think that as the past recipients of racism, they would decide to side with the underdog - but alas, they seek to gain favour with the dominant community by aping their racist approach. Shame.

Aren't middle aged white people the majority in the UK? I suppose you find it racist and offensive that UKIP don't have a diversity quota to fill.

A non-white against immigration, must be a brainwashed coward. Oh dear :facepalm2:

He meant Africa and you know it and so does the public and so do the Ukip PR people who designed the stunt.

Are you sure it wasn't this chap? http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/news/Politics/article1296205.ece

"Lynton Crosby, the Conservative party’s campaign chief, wants to launch a “below-the-radar” operation to undermine UKIP politicians by catching them making embarrassing comments. "

I think you just want him to have meant Africa but that's cool, I understand :rolleyes:

Why on earth should immigrants side with all other immigrants (ahead of their host nation)?
Why on earth should immigrants side with all other "underdogs" (ahead of reason)?
Why are the Liberal left such race-mongering, identity politics abusing, causers of division in society? (rhetorical, we all know why)
Reply 70

Ah. So the only party that kicks out racists is racist itself. Sense makes none.

UKIP has never been against skilled immigration that benefits our economy. My parents are immigrants who both work in banks, and thus being a non-white youngster and supporting the severe limiting of unskilled immigration are not mutually exclusive in the slightest.

Why does being mainly middle-aged and white even matter. It's the policies that matter - policies you want to avoid to talk instead about a pseudo-controversial phrase.
Reply 71
Original post by Skip_Snip
I think "Bongo Bongo Land" is just a generic term for undeveloped nations. In Blackadder Goes Forth they talked about the happier days when "war was just going off to Bongo Bongo Land, killing some natives armed with sharpened guava halves and then making a salad" or something :tongue: :tongue:

I would have thought it was an attempt to model himself on Alan Clark, actually.

This Bloom fellow is nothing to the original, anyway: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Clark
guys, come on guys, he meant the African Bongo Antelope, duh guys, come on guys.
The Graun seem to think this non-story is important enough to keep it going... http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2013/aug/08/ukip-mep-bongo-bongo-land-antelope

David Cameron has decided to weigh in? http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2013/aug/08/david-cameron-ukip-bongo-bongo-land

The Government, the media, the whole Establishment in this country have their priorities absurdly skewed.

Oh well, the UK is just £1tn in debt, rising at £110bn a year (under so-called austerity), we'll keep borrowing £12bn/year to ship to bongo-bongo land. I'm sure the next generation will be proud of David Cameron's largesse with their inheritance.
(edited 10 years ago)
Stupid little Englander.

edit: I can see TSR is dominated by racists then.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 75
Original post by jcarz
Ah. So the only party that kicks out racists is racist itself. Sense makes none.

UKIP has never been against skilled immigration that benefits our economy. My parents are immigrants who both work in banks, and thus being a non-white youngster and supporting the severe limiting of unskilled immigration are not mutually exclusive in the slightest.

Why does being mainly middle-aged and white even matter. It's the policies that matter - policies you want to avoid to talk instead about a pseudo-controversial phrase.

Unskilled migrants are doing jobs British people aren't, is that a bad thing? It sounds like you would like skilled migrants to increase, then you'd just be on here crying that there is too much competition
Original post by ElChapo
Unskilled migrants are doing jobs British people aren't, is that a bad thing? It sounds like you would like skilled migrants to increase, then you'd just be on here crying that there is too much competition

Driving down wages for those in work, while the Government is paying British people to stay at home. How is that a net positive for anyone except big business (or who wants a cheap nanny)? Awful for the taxpayer and the bottom end of the labour market.

Ignoring those on zero hours contracts who are counted as "employed" for Govt purposes, UK unemployment is still over 2.6m, with 1m youths out of work. Meanwhile the borders are open to nearly 500m people in the EU with the right to work here and claim benefits.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by chefdave
He was being openly racist because I guess he believes that 3rd world nations dependent on British aid are in some way inferior to Britain. The man is obviously an imbecile.

Wow, you called them 3rd world countries, do you know how offensive that is? Calling them 3rd world implies they are inferior to 1st world countries. The correct term is "Less Economically Developed Countries (LEDCs). You bigot!
Reply 78
Original post by thesabbath
Driving down wages for those in work, while the Government is paying British people to stay at home. How is that a net positive for anyone except big business (or who wants a cheap nanny)? Awful for the taxpayer and the bottom end of the labour market.

Ignoring those on zero hours contracts who are counted as "employed" for Govt purposes, UK unemployment is still over 2.6m, with 1m youths out of work. Meanwhile the borders are open to nearly 500m people in the EU with the right to work here and claim benefits.

Can you back up the claim that they are driving down wages for those in work?

Awful for the taxpayer, yet many of them who do work will be paying taxes themselves so are taxpayers. Why are you trying so hard to separate them from us?

Are you trying to frighten us with that 500m figure? Most are not interested in coming here.

Reply 79
Original post by ElChapo

Unskilled migrants are doing jobs British people aren't because they are taking jobs - not because British people won't.

I said that UKIP is not against skilled immigration - how does this parallel with the notion that I want skilled migrants to increase.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending