The Student Room Group

Should the US suspend aid to the Egyptian military?

Poll

Should the US suspend aid to the Egyptian military?

The egyptian military has overthrown morsi and now seems to be killing protesters. Egypt increasingly looks like it will become Syria. So what should the response of the US be? Should the US suspend military aid to Egypt?
Yes - bit of a no brain-er isn't it?
I mean, the general currently in command has proven himself to be a bit nuts, and that he has a tendency to go too far prior to now - for example, Al Quaeda grew out of his torture chambers, as they were radicalised by the brutality they were subjected to. Furthermore, he's making it clear that he intends to purge the Muslim Brotherhood, which I believe makes up over 1/4 of Egypt's population? What with his declaration that "the popular mandate eradicates the need for votes", it all seems to be shaping up to a pretty rough time. :/
Hey - if he wants to get rid of the Muslim Brotherhood, then I'm all for giving them more money.
Reply 3
they don't even put sanctions on this brutal regime.But if it's Iran,all sanctions and war is acceptable :rolleyes:
Original post by Tigers
they don't even put sanctions on this brutal regime.But if it's Iran,all sanctions and war is acceptable :rolleyes:

Egypt isn't involved in a nuclear weapons programme against the wishes of the UN, neither does it try to destablise the region by supporting terrorist oganisations.
Reply 5
Original post by MatureStudent36
Egypt isn't involved in a nuclear weapons programme against the wishes of the UN, neither does it try to destablise the region by supporting terrorist oganisations.

it just shoots people straight away.No need to support organisations.A nuclear weapon is a defence weapon like the other weapons and the US build them too.It doesn't kill anyone straight away
Original post by Tigers
it just shoots people straight away.No need to support organisations.A nuclear weapon is a defence weapon like the other weapons and the US build them too.It doesn't kill anyone straight away

In western use, it is a weapon for defence, but when you have a member of the Iranian government claiming that they will use it to wipe Israel from the map, the it most definitely becomes offensive.

They signed the nuclear non proliferation treaty saying they woudn't develop them, they've gone against that treaty. So I o longer have sympathy.

What gets me though s that every single Iranian I've ever met has been an honest, decent human being. For some unknown reason they seem to get crazy political and religious leaders put in charge.
Reply 7
Please stick to Egypt, there is enough threads on the Iranian nuclear program.

Original post by Tigers
xxy

xx

Reply 8
In western use, it is a weapon for defence, but when you have a member of the Iranian government claiming that they will use it to wipe Israel from the map, the it most definitely becomes offensive.

They signed the nuclear non proliferation treaty saying they woudn't develop them, they've gone against that treaty. So I o longer have sympathy.

What gets me though s that every single Iranian I've ever met has been an honest, decent human being. For some unknown reason they seem to get crazy political and religious leaders put in charge.

it is a defence weapon for Iran but not for the US as history proves.If Israel thought Iran was going to use them there would have been a war.The US and Israel are moaning because they don't want to lose power and influence to Iran.Egypt is killing innocent people and the US and the UK don't do anything.This proves nobody cares of innocents killed regarless of the weapon used(nuclear or conventional)
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 9
Based on the violence yes. Based on realpolitik no.

MB is guilt of its own fair share of trying to sideline the democratic process, and the military is probably more of a known element to the US policy makers than the MB are.
Reply 10
Original post by Tigers

Tell that to Russia and America...
Am I misunderstanding the situation in Egypt or is it a case of 'we want democracy but actually we don't want that democratic leader, so we'll undemocratically remove him'?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending