The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
You can get the damage to your credit rating repaired; although its the bank that have to do it.
jeff's_dead
That's all very well... but that has nothing to do with my situation.

I didn't accidentally slip into the red, my bank made a mistake and are penalising me for it.

My point was that you can get advice from there and templates of letters from there to write to your bank that would cause far much more action than a phonecall would. Also, if they refuse to acknowledge the problem then you have another card to pull with illegal charges.

:rolleyes:
Ok, well I went to the branch yesterday and spent over an hour in there explaining what has been going on. They were pretty helpful, they asked me to write a letter of complaint (and also wrote one from themselves, stating how unacceptable the service has been) which they sent straight to their head office. I named the guy I spoke to twice, who hadn't done anything that he had promised me he had done, and mentioned the FSA as some of you suggested.

The long and short of it is that all of the charges will be cancelled, and I will probably get some kind of compensation or goodwill gesture from Nationwide. Although to be honest, that's the least they can do, considering the amount of time and money I have wasted on it, and the long term damage their mistake could potentially cause for my credit rating.

Nevermind. Worse things happen at sea... or something.
I don't believe this.

I've just received a bank statement telling me that I've been charged another £20 unauthorised overdraft fee... relating to the same thing that I was told had been resolved in JULY!!

I'm so angry. My account has been in credit since Nationwide supposedly fixed everything in July - buy clearly it hasn't been sorted out.

I've just written a very strongly worded email to Nationwide, but do you think it's now time for me to take it further and get the FSO involved?

I need a punchbag.
Reply 24
Write one last letter, telling them that if it isn't resolved you'll go to the FSO, and then follow through on your threat if necessary. (Unless you did that last time, in which case go now)
HSBC did the same to me, with regard to some cheap mp3 player (it's the principle, not the object that matters). I've been to the bank at least 10 times, made X number of phone calls, and all I got was 'referrals', 'please come back later', 'we'll deal with it' and 'sorry it's not our problem, try this number'.
:laugh: I'm sorry but it just sounds so hilarious.

:rofl:

Them banks.
jeffers
I have an account with a well-known building society (we'll call them Nationwide) and I am having an absolute nightmare with them at the moment.

I only use this account to transfer savings into - the balance is never more than a couple of quid, and I rarely check its statements because I use it so infrequently.

In May, I had to transfer some money from my savings into this account, as I had halls of residence fees to pay. I checked my account balance online to make sure that the money had gone through, and found that there was £60 less in there than there should have been. I looked around all of the different sections of the account to see what was going on... and found that a Direct Debit had been set up without my authorisation, and had been trying to withdraw £50 a month from my account, to pay for somebody's gym subscription!

The problem is that because I had so little money in the account, the Direct Debits could not be processed. So each time this happened, I was charged a £30 unpaid debit fee. Needless to say, none of this was my fault; I don't use a gym and I certainly wouldn't pay £50 a month to go to one.

Anyway, as soon as I noticed all of this I got on the phone to Nationwide and spoke to a girl, explained what had happened and she cancelled the Direct Debit. She also assured me that all of the money would be refunded to me. When I asked her why the payment had been set up in the first place, she said that it must have been a mistake by one of their members of staff when they were typing in the details (i.e. they had typed my details in by mistake).

About a week later, I received a letter from a customer service administrator, saying that the money had been refunded and the penalties cancelled. It was written in a very patronising way, giving me 'useful tips on how to avoid incurring charges in the future'. This made me so angry; it was their fault that I had gone overdrawn in the first place! I went and checked my statement, only to find that none of the charges had been refunded, and I had been charged another unpaid debit fee.

At this point I was absolutely fuming, so I got on the phone and called the guy who sent me the letter. He apologised that it hadn't been taken care of, and assured me that he would get it sorted out for me straight away. I told him to send me written confirmation that it had all been sorted, and he agreed. I took his word for it and assumed that it would all be taken care of.

So I checked my statement today, and to my dismay, the money still had not been refunded, and yet another £30 fine had been imposed on me. I was incandescent with rage. I got on the phone, spoke to the guy I spoke to previously, and made it clear how furious I was with the whole situation. I demanded to know why, despite being promised twice that it had been taken care of, I was still in the red. His excuse was (and bear in mind this is a huge company) 'I asked Jez to do it and for some reason he hasn't put it through'. I was so angry. I demanded that he refunded the money there and then, and send me a letter without fail to confirm it all. He agreed, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if I never receive a letter and am still overdrawn this time next week. I told him that not only will I be canceling the account, I will be making a personal complaint against him and possibly going to the press.

I rarely complain about service I receive, but this is truly appalling. My credit rating has probably taken a real battering, considering that I do not have an authorised overdraft on the account, and I've been overdrawn and incurring charges for over a month.

Have any of you been in a similar situation? If so, what did you do? How can you get this sorted out, and above all, who can you complain to? If you ask somebody to explain what's happened, they blame someone else. If you speak to the other person, they refer you to someone else, and so on... it never ends. Who are you supposed to get angry with, when nobody will accept responsibility? It is utterly infuriating.

Sorry for the rant, but I have never been so furious with a company (or anyone, for that matter) in my life. Thanks for reading :biggrin:

Is this really something to get angry about? Not everything revolves around you.
Merovingian
Is this really something to get angry about? Not everything revolves around you.

His bank account does.

Don't be such a ****ing idiot.
I for one have found Barclay's to be fantastic, especially with things like card fraud. Me and my family were abandoned in Venice by Ryanair last October and my Mum had to use her debit card in a payphone in order to call our travel insurance company for their help.

We eventually got home after sleeping in 3 different airports, and barely 4 hours later had a call from Barclays to ask about "unusual activity" on my Mum's account, namely a lot of telephone calls from Italy. I've never heard of anyone being contacted so quickly over such a problem.

Also, the Daily Mail does a special financial section, report it to them.
Reply 30
They charge you £30, without sending a request in person, for being overdrawn when you don't have that facility! Is it just me or is that whole concept arse-upwards? Surely it would be better to at least send a letter saying you're overdrawn? If they don't then surely a debt could just spiral out of control when you dont even know about it until your next statement. Bonkers!

*note to self*
Never get a Nationwide account.
Reply 31
This is a great and informative website, get all your bank charges ever refunded :smile:
http://www.govanlc.com/bankcharges.html

goes over the law and has template letters so you can get things in action. The banks never take it all the way to court because of the bad publicity.
Reply 32
Hi, I have PMd you with what might be some useful information - I hope so, anyway. :smile:
Reply 33
Merovingian

ERM I would say it is. If you dont have anything sensible to say then shut up.
Reply 34
Steezy20
They charge you £30, without sending a request in person, for being overdrawn when you don't have that facility! Is it just me or is that whole concept arse-upwards? Surely it would be better to at least send a letter saying you're overdrawn? If they don't then surely a debt could just spiral out of control when you dont even know about it until your next statement. Bonkers!

*note to self*
Never get a Nationwide account.

note to you, correct me if im wrong, but I think he was just calling it nationwide for arguements sake.

Jeffers
Originally Posted by jeffers
I have an account with a well-known building society (we'll call them Nationwide) and I am having an absolute nightmare with them at the moment.
Merovingian

Oh ok, thanks for pointing that out. I didn't realise. I genuinely thought that the earth and all of mankind was created purely to serve me. How wrong was I.

Get a life.

sm0273
note to you, correct me if im wrong, but I think he was just calling it nationwide for arguements sake.

Hehe, no he was right. It is Nationwide that has been giving me the grief. :cool:
Reply 36
"I asked Jez to do it"

Classic. What an inept f***ing cretin.
Reply 37
sm0273

jeffers
Hehe, no he was right. It is Nationwide that has been giving me the grief.

Owned :p:
Profesh
"I asked Jez to do it"

Classic. What an inept f***ing cretin.

My thoughts exactly.

I forgot to mention, after I finally got everything sorted (or rather, after I thought everything had been sorted), I got a letter from Nationwide.

I had asked them for a letter comfirming that they were responsible for all of this. What I got was a standard, copied and pasted letter (exactly the same as the one I received from 'Jez') which had no apology no admission of responsibility. It just said that as avalued customer, all charges had been refunded and future charges cancelled.

They must really value me. They spelt my surname wrong three times.
jeffers

They must really value me. They spelt my surname wrong three times.

:toofunny: you're killing me...

This must be what turns people into mass murderers.

Latest

Trending

Trending