The Student Room Group

Barts and The London medicine applicants 2014

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1660
Original post by lemon_sherbert123
They normally won't release scores til the cycle is over. Also a lot of grads were rejected in December. Just seems very odd they have given scores before cycle is over pinch of salt

Well, scores or not we all will find out soon enough, interviews dates are not too far off. :smile:
Original post by Samodude11
Just got this email from Barts

RE: Rejection before interview

I appreciate that you are disappointed for not being shortlisted for interview. You will be aware that competition for places on the MB BS programme in Medicine is intense and the quality of the applicant pool extremely high.In order to select an appropriate number of candidates for interview, we rank applicants according to their UKCAT scores. Those who achieve the most competitive UKCAT scores are considered for interview. The cut-off UKCAT score is determined each year by the performance of candidates and the number of applicants we would like to invite to interview. This year we have considered for interview those applicants for A100 who have achieved UKCAT scores of 2890. For A101 we have interviewed those applicants who have achieved UKCAT scores of 3010.*

Phew... saved with UKCAT of 2950
Just got this email from Barts

RE: Rejection before interview

I appreciate that you are disappointed for not being shortlisted for interview. You will be aware that competition for places on the MB BS programme in Medicine is intense and the quality of the applicant pool extremely high.In order to select an appropriate number of candidates for interview, we rank applicants according to their UKCAT scores. Those who achieve the most competitive UKCAT scores are considered for interview. The cut-off UKCAT score is determined each year by the performance of candidates and the number of applicants we would like to invite to interview. This year we have considered for interview those applicants for A100 who have achieved UKCAT scores of 2890. For A101 we have interviewed those applicants who have achieved UKCAT scores of 3010.*

Is this grads for a100 or undergrads too?
Got this from Barts as well

In order to select an appropriate number of candidates for interview on our main scheme. Those who achieve the most competitive UKCAT* and UCAS* tariff scores are considered for interview. The cut-off for the combined UKCAT* and UCAS tariff score is determined each year by the performance of candidates and the number of applicants we would like to invite to interview. This year we have considered for interview those applicants for A100 who have achieved UKCAT scores of*3520-2400*and Tariff scores of*1080-465. When combined using our algorithm, which gives each candidate a score based on their position in the rank in both domains which are equally weighted.

For example some mid-range scores this year were 600 tariff and 2900 UKCAT and 736 tariff and 2520 UKCAT.* At either end of the scoring domains were scores of 770 tariff and 3520 UKCAT and 465 tariff and 3280 UKCAT

In order to select an appropriate number of candidates for interview on our main scheme. Those who achieve the most competitive UKCAT* and UCAS* tariff scores are considered for interview. The cut-off for the combined UKCAT* and UCAS tariff score is determined each year by the performance of candidates and the number of applicants we would like to invite to interview. This year we have considered for interview those applicants for A100 who have achieved UKCAT scores of*3520-2400*and Tariff scores of*1080-465. When combined using our algorithm, which gives each candidate a score based on their position in the rank in both domains which are equally weighted.

For example some mid-range scores this year were 600 tariff and 2900 UKCAT and 736 tariff and 2520 UKCAT.* At either end of the scoring domains were scores of 770 tariff and 3520 UKCAT and 465 tariff and 3280 UKCAT

Aha, knew there was tariff in there somewhere. Thanks again.

600 and 2900 is mid-range!! that's harsh
Original post by XingBairong
600 and 2900 is mid-range!! that's harsh

Yeah! I'm worried lol my ukcat is slightly higher but my ucas is slightly lower :frown:
Original post by raveen789
Yeah! I'm worried lol my ukcat is slightly higher but my ucas is slightly lower :frown:

that would still probably make you mid-range though?
Oh dear if a101 cut off was 752.5( according to u guys email ) ... I am 750 . Oh lord take me now !!! I csnt believe my silly luck !!!! Dont think i will be able to take this rejection which apparently is heading my way !!!!! Nooooo why god why god

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by hello101
Oh dear if a101 cut off was 752.5( according to u guys email ) ... I am 750 . Oh lord take me now !!! I csnt believe my silly luck !!!! Dont think i will be able to take this rejection which apparently is heading my way !!!!! Nooooo why god why god

Posted from TSR Mobile

You don't know how true this is. I'd be surprised they didn't do all rejections for a101 before Xmas if it just was ukcat as so many people were rejected so just sit tight you never know

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm in the same boat as you for Durham. I might be 2.5 points under their cut off :L
but I'm still keep hoping haha! cheer up man!
You don't know how true this is. I'd be surprised they didn't do all rejections for a101 before Xmas if it just was ukcat as so many people were rejected so just sit tight you never know

Thank u for your kind words ....
but i dont know why some one would lie ( unless they are a bit of a troll ... Which is very unlikely but possible) or there was a bit more to that email which hasnt been mentioned .... But i do have an amazingly unfortunate luck sometimes ( take my degree missed a first by a single lovely mark for an instant average 69.3% and needed 1 mark in a module to have enough credits to be bumped up ... ) ... Well its easy to say i should have done better and fair enough ... But what are the chances of this happening for me is quite possible ....... Oh well if it wasn't meant to be it ... Lets wait for an official rejection ... From barts and soton .....sad times

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank u for your kind words ....
but i dont know why some one would lie ( unless they are a bit of a troll ... Which is very unlikely but possible) or there was a bit more to that email which hasnt been mentioned .... But i do have an amazingly unfortunate luck sometimes ( take my degree missed a first by a single lovely mark for an instant average 69.3% and needed 1 mark in a module to have enough credits to be bumped up ... ) ... Well its easy to say i should have done better and fair enough ... But what are the chances of this happening for me is quite possible ....... Oh well if it wasn't meant to be it ... Lets wait for an official rejection ... From barts and soton .....sad times

Posted from TSR Mobile

There's been a few things that have been disproven for the cut offs everywhere. I find it odd they released cut offs before rejections no where else does that have u heard from warwick
There's been a few things that have been disproven for the cut offs everywhere. I find it odd they released cut offs before rejections no where else does that have u heard from warwick

Hi yup I didn't apply to Warwick in the end due to their affinity for post grads ( but was sad to not do so )
.. I applied to soton and QM 4 year and kcl and QM 5 year but honestly thought I had a better chance at 4 year and certain circumstances have changed so .. I was hoping for QM 4 year but god does work in mysterious ways may be there is a good reason for this ... Not too sad ( well yet anyway)-...... Anyways best not to speculate too much .. Ah best of luck to u with your application ..... Ur a kind person and thank u for that

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by XingBairong
I'm in the same boat as you for Durham. I might be 2.5 points under their cut off :L
but I'm still keep hoping haha! cheer up man!

Thank u for ur kind words ... Best of luck to you too ;-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi yup I didn't apply to Warwick in the end due to their affinity for post grads ( but was sad to not do so )
.. I applied to soton and QM 4 year and kcl and QM 5 year but honestly thought I had a better chance at 4 year and certain circumstances have changed so .. I was hoping for QM 4 year but god does work in mysterious ways may be there is a good reason for this ... Not too sad ( well yet anyway)-...... Anyways best not to speculate too much .. Ah best of luck to u with your application ..... Ur a kind person and thank u for that

Posted from TSR Mobile

What will happen will happen there's a few of us under the cut off still there. Just thought they would have rejected straight away in December it's not that hard
Hold on hold on they may lower the cut off a bit you never know so keep your hopes up a little :smile:
Reply 1677
Can I ask what your UKCAT was?

Of course, it was 730... which I thought was good but turns out for grad entry its not even in the game!!
Reply 1678

Posted from TSR Mobile

I personally know a grad with an interview and 730 ukcat

On a side note (regarding the person who posted the two emails). On the first email it said the cut of was 2890 for ukcat but then the second email said between 3000something to 2400… have I missed something or is there not a contradiction here?
Original post by MX123
I personally know a grad with an interview and 730 ukcat

For A100 (standard entry course) or A101 (grad entry course)?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending