The Student Room Group

A level choices

Hi, I'm going into year 11 and in November we will be starting our college applications, I used to know exactly what A levels I wanted to do and what I wanted to do at uni but I don't anymore. I have a few definite A levels, which are, English language and health and social care. My next choice is between psychology and sociology, I have been debating between these two, if somebody could tell me the pro's and cons of both that would be great :smile: my next choice used to be history however since looking and government&politics and Law, I am now undecided - are any of these three looked down on? What choice would help keep my options open seems as I don't know what I would like as my career anymore? It would be great if somebody could help :smile: thankyou

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well in terms of university options, if you take english and history you'll be fine for pretty much any degree in the social sciences or humanities. Because of that you could pick whatever 3rd and 4th one that you want.

Saying that, as far as I know most of the subjects that you've mentioned are respected (apart from sociology, which I haven't heard about, and health and social care). History and english are just the most established and broad
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
Depends what you are looking to do at uni really.

But if I were you I wouldn't take Law or Government and Politics, unis don't tend to recognize them as well as History.

Although it really depends on what kind of Uni you want to go on as it would probably matter for a Russel Group Uni, but for another Uni they probably wouldn't care as much.

Personally I wouldn't take Health and Social care unless its definitely involved in what you want to do with Uni, just because ive never heard of it as an A-level and idk if it would be that desired?

Definitely English and History though.
Reply 3
Thanks for all the help! :smile: I'm definitely taking health and social care though, it gives me a lot of opportunities as I think I'm wanting to work with children in my career :smile: I'm thinking of universities such as York or Lincoln, these aren't Russell group are they? What even are Russell group universities?? Would nobody advise government and politics or law then because I used to really want to take history but now I'm not so sure, thankyou for the replies!!:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest