The Student Room Group

What are you most scared about for when you start university?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ChaoticButterfly
That was me (and still is really). There was loads of people like that on my course. There were some who would be physically shaking when they gave their presentations in first year. You aren't alone.

oh my god it makes me feel sick thinking about it, how many people would you say you would present in front of? would it be everyone on the course?
Original post by cristimay
oh my god it makes me feel sick thinking about it, how many people would you say you would present in front of? would it be everyone on the course?

I would guess it is different for different uni's and courses. Mine was probably worse in that we had a module dedicated to doing things like giving presentations in first year (it couldn't get any worse for me). We gave presentations in front of a school class sized group. So no different from giving presentations in front of your class at school. This was also in the first teaching week :eek:

You will most likley be giving group presentations in first and second year so you can get those with more confidence to say more stuff. The presentations will make up a small percentage of your grade so as long as you turn up it doesn't matter how bad it goes, you wont fail because of it. It actually got easier in final year for me as I only had to give a presentation in front of 5 lecturers. That was actually much easier.

It will be stressful but you wont be the only one and wont fail your degree because of it. Just try not to think about/worry about it before you have to. There is nothing you can do about it at this moment in time so why think about it?
Reply 182
I'm worried about a few things:
* Not being smart enough as I left school 6 years ago and remember now, will I be able to catch up?
* Being too chicken to make friends
* Doing presentations, avoided them all my life. Do you do them in front of loads of other students or just a lecturer?
* Running out of money but this is now my smallest worry! Thank god!

=)
I'm worried mainly about 3 things and I know they're all bloody stupid things to worry over.

- Regretting the uni/course I went to/took after the first month.

- The awkward atmosphere when talking to flat mates on the first day/pre-drinks (I'm worried I'll have to be the one to take the first step in introducing myself).

- And most stupid of all, I'm worried that I'll be on the bottom floor.
That my accommodation is full of fat bitchy bitter girls.
Dealing with a long distance relationship.

Messing up my budget.

Living with boring people.
Original post by ChickenMadness
That my accommodation is full of fat bitchy bitter girls.

There's skinny bitchy girls too :tongue:
Original post by PinkertonSA
I'm worried mainly about 3 things and I know they're all bloody stupid things to worry over.

- Regretting the uni/course I went to/took after the first month.

- The awkward atmosphere when talking to flat mates on the first day/pre-drinks (I'm worried I'll have to be the one to take the first step in introducing myself).

- And most stupid of all, I'm worried that I'll be on the bottom floor.

I was worried about that last on last year as well! :tongue: luckily I ended up on the third floor, and this year one of the guys in my house has kindly said he'd take the room on the bottom floor because I didn't like the idea of sleeping on the ground floor :')
Im not worried about making friends, Im worried about making the wrong friends and friendships that will be incredibly short term. At freshers I'll probably talk to anyone/everyone and eventually 2-3weeks maybe months later realise that I made friends for the sake of making friends and none of these people are really like me.
ugly clapped bitches.
Original post by SophieSmall
I was worried about that last on last year as well! :tongue: luckily I ended up on the third floor, and this year one of the guys in my house has kindly said he'd take the room on the bottom floor because I didn't like the idea of sleeping on the ground floor :')

Whats wrong with the bottom floor? Its nice and cool in the summer.:colondollar::colondollar:
Sharing a room with a complete stranger
Original post by DayOfTheBees
Meeting people - I have a stammer, one of the things I inevitably stammer on is my name. I just know there's going to be some idiots who make 'funny' comments like did you forget your name or tries to give me advice like think about what you want to say - I know what I want to say, it just won't come out!

If anyone gives you stick you can always say well George the 6 had a stammer and look how well he did on the whole uni students are quite understanding and will give you the time you need
Reply 193
Not having any friends. :frown:

In some places girls are guaranteed to not have to sleep on the bottom floor. I think.
Original post by somethingunique
Whats wrong with the bottom floor? Its nice and cool in the summer.:colondollar::colondollar:

I just feel vulnerable sleeping on the bottom floor.
I just feel vulnerable sleeping on the bottom floor.

LOL no way, how so? I went to a summer school where I was on the bottom floor. I was a bit scared that I'd be missing out on all the fun/gossip/parties upstairs but it was fine.
Original post by somethingunique
LOL no way, how so? I went to a summer school where I was on the bottom floor. I was a bit scared that I'd be missing out on all the fun/gossip/parties upstairs but it was fine.

For lack of a better way of saying it, I knew a girl who was raped on the bottom floor of a building because she left the window open in the summer and someone climbed in.

Even if I didn't leave the window open I'd still be scared of someone breaking in as it'd be much easier as I'd be on the bottom.
Being an outsider, due to my age, and having to stay in halls with the 18 year olds. It seems a little weird to me, but those are the rules, unless you have children or a medical reason, which gives you a way out of staying in halls for your first year.

Has anybody experienced having mature students living in halls with first years?
For lack of a better way of saying it, I knew a girl who was raped on the bottom floor of a building because she left the window open in the summer and someone climbed in.

Even if I didn't leave the window open I'd still be scared of someone breaking in as it'd be much easier as I'd be on the bottom.

Oh s***, never really thought about it like that. Good point

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending