The Student Room Group

What are you most scared about for when you start university?

Scroll to see replies

Nothing scares me :cool:
At the moment, because the uni i'm going to is my insurance, i didn't choose my preferred accommodation earlier on in the year so now i don't know which hall i'll be stuck in or what my flatmates will be like :frown:
I'm going into third year and my main worry was not making friends... everyone i know has made friends and looking back now i realise any worries i had seemed pointless by the first term.

everyone will have a great time! there's a really good book called "A Guide to University by Actual Students" on amazon for £1 and it goes through everything in first year: money, overdraft, relationships, freshers week and making friends etc. so check it out if you have any worries, it's fairly recent so very updated and modern
Reply 383
Thing I'm worried about the most is :
1) running out of money
2) not liking the people I'm living with
3) the people I'm living with not liking me
4) the people I'm living with being Tottenham fans

Posted from TSR Mobile
I am bit afraid actually of the freshers week. I am not such a party person, to tell the truth I prefer the quiet let's get into pub and have some drinks with a friendly group. Now I am afraid of if I don't go out into clubs then I won't have friends, or people will not like me.

Also I am bit afraid of my time management as I am working and continue to work during uni, and do not know yet how I will perform at uni while I provide my usual quality at work.
I am scared that I will come across extreme racism and Islamophobia, whether I would get attacked or simply whether I will be forced to deal with bigoted people in general.

I am a niqabi by the way so I believe my fears are justified.
Being the only chinese person who cannot speak chinese lol
Why march?
Original post by Swannie15
Haha I'm worried about all of the issues stated above :colondollar: its the fact that I start in march rather than September I'm worried that im going to be put in accommodation with students who started in September and all know each other and then in the summer while their gone im going to be stuck in accommodation by myself :frown:
im worried because i want to join karate, but im really weak like it takes a couple seconds longer than it should to open a door,fridge or a juice bottle, i dont want to be turned away but i dont know weather i should just go to the gym first year to build up strength or go gym along side karate. Im also worried about making friends, i can talk to people quite easily but i give off a vibe that says "dont talk to me" but i dont know how to change it :frown:
Original post by Swannie15
Haha I'm worried about all of the issues stated above :colondollar: its the fact that I start in march rather than September I'm worried that im going to be put in accommodation with students who started in September and all know each other and then in the summer while their gone im going to be stuck in accommodation by myself :frown:

Why are u starting in March?
Original post by Helloyellowmello
Why are u starting in March?

Nursing courses have different term times.
Reply 391
Original post by heyoka
im worried because i want to join karate, but im really weak like it takes a couple seconds longer than it should to open a door,fridge or a juice bottle, i dont want to be turned away but i dont know weather i should just go to the gym first year to build up strength or go gym along side karate. Im also worried about making friends, i can talk to people quite easily but i give off a vibe that says "dont talk to me" but i dont know how to change it :frown:

Go to the gym alongside karate! But they shouldn't turn you down at all. When I did Jiu-jitsu they had people of all shapes and sizes and I wouldn't imagine karate being any different.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Tedster
Go to the gym alongside karate! But they shouldn't turn you down at all. When I did Jiu-jitsu they had people of all shapes and sizes and I wouldn't imagine karate being any different.

oh really? thank you, i feel alot better about going there and giving it a shot :biggrin:
Original post by Wisefire
Not immediately being recognized and liked by the right kind of social groups and girls (i.e I'm going to come at uni with the extreme/full awareness of class divides; and I do not want to come out of the negative end of it all). I'll literally try to make myself deliberately seem 'posh', or a "snob"/very middle-class, to 'attract' the right kind of new friends... That's all I care about. Very silly, but see what this world's come to. I need to place myself with the right connections. What does comes to my favour is my accent... Fortunately (as well as unfortunately), I sound pretty damn English/posh anyhow.

??????????
(edited 7 years ago)
I'm scared of being roommates with followers tbh (People who follow opinions of "popular people" to be accepted)
Original post by Alice Carmen
Being the only chinese person who cannot speak chinese lol

I don't think you should be worried about this . I knew another chinese guy who didn't speak chinese. I recommend you not to show off, like you are the expert of chinese, because this guy made this, and once I said something to him in chinese (in his cantonese chinese) and he didn't understand it. It is more embarassing to fail, than to tell the truth.
Also, if you want you can learn your language.
I know, because I am half Russian, everybody expects me to speak Russian perfectly, but to tell the truth, I can't. I have started to learn it, and practice because I have plans with my Russian language.
Original post by SophieSmall
Hey :smile: I wouldn't worry about it too much, LJMU has quite a large Islamic population. On my course last year there were loads of girls wearing hijabs and I think a couple with niqabs.

It's unfortunate but you may get a couple of comments perhaps in the street (as with most places) but the student populace itself is quite accepting.

Whats ljmu?
I think what i'm most afraid of is being stuck in a flat full of people who are all friends already and I'm like the 9th wheel like "sup i live here too."
I'm commuting so I'm worried about not making any friends. Also worried about getting lost and the course being too hard for me.
Original post by Anonymous #2
I'm commuting so I'm worried about not making any friends. Also worried about getting lost and the course being too hard for me.

Im also worried about not making friends as I'm commuting too!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending