The Student Room Group

What are you most scared about for when you start university?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by super_kawaii
Which has never happened! You physically won't be able to join too many as they'll all end up clashing with each other as well as your classes. It's best to join two or three in first year, then get on committee for one when you're in 2nd, 3rd or 4th year. Societies are completely student run, so they wouldn't exist if work-life balance wasn't possible. First year's all about getting everyone to the same level and used to studying at uni level, so don't worry too much. The vast majority of people get into the swing of things by January exams :smile:

ah okay i get it, im hoping to join one sport society when i get to university (most probably swimming) but i'd need to get back into my fitness. also there's so many i want to do and try out, like i heard about an assassin society XD or the pirate society
Not being able to pay my own rent by part time job.
Cooking and making friends.
I'm a bit worried about not getting on with my flatmates, as I'm very quiet and people often misinterpret that as me being unfriendly/unapproachable, which isn't the case at all!
Original post by Kre
Friendship groups form during the first few weeks so if you don't get yourself out there, you will find it harder later on.

What if you choose the shіte group? :frown:

I don't want to sound immature but from highschool I can tell it's very difficult if you are hanging with the "wrong" people, because everyone else will judge you for it (the crime of association)
Right now, the thing I'm most scared about is not starting uni at all :frown:
Original post by Platopus

^ This
Original post by Platopus

This for me too :frown:
Reply 589
For me too
honestly have no fears, i just can't wait to go at all!

[ok maybe the only thing i'm a little scared of is bad internet:colone:]
Making friends and fitting in...
I'm really really REALLY Shy, reserved, introverted not the party type (I know that not everyone at uni is), anti-social, VERY VERY VERY anxious with mental health and I have a learning disability.

I'm not really scared of the work load, coz I love learning and being in education. While at first it may be overwhelming, I will get use to it, after all I'm looking into a Masters and a PhD.
The only other fear is am I picking the right course, I want to do Chemistry but I don't know if I would like it at Degree level. I enjoy it now and I like the Modules that I see the unis, I'm looking at, will cover but I will not know if it's for me till I experience it.
Everything.

It's the whole, first day at school feeling all over again....and I hated school.
My other flat mates not appreciating I must listen to Beethoven on loud 24/6 with only a 9-5 hour listening schedule on Sunday.
Original post by acontium
My other flat mates not appreciating I must listen to Beethoven on loud 24/6 with only a 9-5 hour listening schedule on Sunday.

:biggrin:
Not getting on with flatmates or anyone who lives around me - I mean, I don't care to be the best of friends, I just don't want them to be awful people who decide to spend the next academic year making it a living hell for me. :frown:
Making friends. I know everyone says not to worry about this but I have a very poor track record of making friends. I basically have none right now and I'm not a very confident person in going up to people so I'm very worried about this. Also staying healthy on a budget and the school work :P
not knowing stuff because i took the access route rather then A levels would be mine.
Reply 598
Original post by LibertyMan
What if you choose the shіte group? :frown:

I don't want to sound immature but from highschool I can tell it's very difficult if you are hanging with the "wrong" people, because everyone else will judge you for it (the crime of association)

Oh my I made that post 3 years ago now! I'm a graduate now and have been working in a grad role for a year now haha.

There are a lot less cliques at university. Also there are so many people at a given university, you won't find any "bad" groups of people simply because there are so many people you will never meet for them to judge you.

University is very different from school. People tend to grow up.
Making friends. I have really bad anxiety, I have to take medication for it, I can barely buy things from a shop without being a nervous wreck, nevermind making new friends 250 miles away from home.The next couple of months are going to be interesting I think haha!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending