The Student Room Group

This has to stop!

There are far too many people going to university, It would be a good thing if all degrees had the same rigorous standards but we all know that is not the case.

They water down degrees and waste peoples money on teaching rubbish which is not even challenging.

There was a report I read which said, some degree standards were the level of GCSE intellectual rigor.

It is much worse at ex-poly but, there are also some doggy courses in Russell group universities, where you just get drunk and sail through the degree with out being pushed to your limits.

I go to a Russell group university, and I will have more respect for someone who did Maths or engineering at an ex-poly than a fool who did arts or humanities at a Russell group university.

I used to be a real snob, thinking any degree from Russell group is better than ex-poly, but I learn this is not the case!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by sk501

There was a report I read which said, some degree standards where the level of GCSE intellectual rigor.

Evidently GCSE English was harder than whatever degree you are doing right now.
Reply 2
Original post by sk501
There are far too many people going to university, It would be a good thing if all degrees had the same rigorous standards but we all know that is not the case.

They water down degrees and waste peoples money on teaching rubbish which is not even challenging.

There was a report I read which said, some degree standards where the level of GCSE intellectual rigor.

It is much worse at ex-ploy but, they are also some doggy courses in Russell group universities, where you just get drunk and sail through the degree with out being pushed to your limits.

I go to a Russell group university, and I will have more respect for someone who did Maths or engineering at an ex-ploy than a fool who did arts or humanities at a Russell group university.

I used to be a real snob, thinking any degree from Russell group is better than ex ploy, but I learn this is not the case!

I think you mean ex-poly. Go back under your bridge troll, you're drunk!
Reply 3
Original post by GR3YFOXXX
I think you mean ex-poly. Go back under your bridge troll, you're drunk!

I have dyslexia, I make mistakes when I write, but I am cool with that, they gave me a free laptop:colondollar:
Reply 4
Original post by sk501

It is much worse at ex-ploy but, they are also some doggy courses in Russell group universities, where you just get drunk and sail through the degree with out being pushed to your limits.

I go to a Russell group university, and I will have more respect for someone who did Maths or engineering at an ex-ploy than a fool who did arts or humanities at a Russell group university.

I used to be a real snob, thinking any degree from Russell group is better than ex ploy, but I learn this is not the case!

; it* people's* were* rigour* Russell Group*. I would have thought that demanding such rigorous standards in academia would result in a much greater attention to detail in your work.

This is what it boils down to for you, saying that STEM > arts and humanities.

Used to be? You're gone from mission group snobbery to subject snobbery.
Reply 5
Original post by DarkWhite
; it* people's* were* rigour* Russell Group*. I would have thought that demanding such rigorous standards in academia would result in a much greater attention to detail in your work.

This is what it boils down to for you, saying that STEM > arts and humanities.

Used to be? You're gone from mission group snobbery to subject snobbery.

I have dyslexia, I make mistakes when I write, but I am cool with that, they gave me a free laptop:colondollar:
Reply 6
Original post by sk501

yeah its annoying when unis go easy on people isnt it?
Reply 7
Original post by Tibbit

I got B for GCSE English and Got AAB for Math, physics and chem.
And was not given extra time because before I was not assessed.
So, no they did not lower the standards for me:smile:
The situation is a bit more complicated than you think. If you only fund/allow STEM degrees then you end up with more people taking STEM degrees and trying to get into STEM after graduation in which case you end up with an oversaturated market and the salaries of STEM grads fall considerably, and they're not massively high now, you'll only earn 6 figures in STEM careers (including medicine) if you do two of: a PhD, take up managerial or teaching roles, or have lots of experience (20-30 years), for medicine you could add working in private practice to that.
Reply 9
Original post by Helloworld_95
The situation is a bit more complicated than you think. If you only fund/allow STEM degrees then you end up with more people taking STEM degrees and trying to get into STEM after graduation in which case you end up with an oversaturated market and the salaries of STEM grads fall considerably, and they're not massively high now, you'll only earn 6 figures in STEM careers (including medicine) if you do two of: a PhD, take up managerial or teaching roles, or have lots of experience (20-30 years), for medicine you could add working in private practice to that.

Bull!

We need more STEM so we can be a nation of engineers and scientist and lead the world in tech.

You don't even have to go university to learn about sociology!
Reply 10
Discussion on whether there is a saturation of graduates is one that I will allow. However, it needs to be civil and constructive. Describing people who take, or have taken, humanities degrees as "fools" is not discussing this in a civil and constructive manner.

With this in mind, can I ask the OP where this study is (that suggests some degrees are only GCSE standard?) or did you just make this up?

Original post by Tibbit

The provision of reasonable adjustments to a person with a disability is not "going easy". The OP has said nothing which would suggest he was allowed in despite receiving poor grades, or even that the university are aware of his dyslexia. The equipment is provided through DSA, not the university.
Original post by sk501
Bull!

We need more STEM so we can be a nation of engineers and scientist and lead the world in tech.

You don't even have to go university to learn about sociology!

You can't get everyone in STEM. Research projects require either production of profit or funding via profit and you can't do the first with every research project and the second wouldn't work because you'd end up with hundreds of thousands if not millions of underpaid and overtaxed scientists alongside an almost as large number of unemployed or unsatisfied STEM grads. It's basically a great way to plunge the UK into a massive depression.
Original post by sk501

There was a report I read which said, some degree standards were the level of GCSE intellectual rigor.

It is much worse at ex-poly but, there are also some doggy courses in Russell group universities, where you just get drunk and sail through the degree with out being pushed to your limits.

I go to a Russell group university, and I will have more respect for someone who did Maths or engineering at an ex-poly than a fool who did arts or humanities at a Russell group university.

I used to be a real snob, thinking any degree from Russell group is better than ex-poly, but I learn this is not the case!

Your illiteracy knows no bounds.
Employers now expect degrees for jobs that didn't previously need them, the horse has bolted and it would be unfair to lock the stable now.

Latest

Trending

Trending