The Student Room Group

2014 Pharmacy applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by propagation
Sounds good, DO you know how uni's react to third year students?

if you have taken 3 years to complete your A levels some unis will ask you for higher grades e.g UCL will ask for AAA instead of AAB, KCL will also ask for AAA instead of AAB and Reading will ask for AAB instead of ABB. Hertforshire also states they will raise their offer. However this isnt the case with some unis like Bath or Aston who will give you the regular offer. Its best to email the unis before you apply just to make sure, you could even ring them and they wont mind at all.:smile:
Original post by jaffacakesyum
if you have taken 3 years to complete your A levels some unis will ask you for higher grades e.g UCL will ask for AAA instead of AAB, KCL will also ask for AAA instead of AAB and Reading will ask for AAB instead of ABB. Hertforshire also states they will raise their offer. However this isnt the case with some unis like Bath or Aston who will give you the regular offer. Its best to email the unis before you apply just to make sure, you could even ring them and they wont mind at all.:smile:

Are you a 3rd year Pharm applicant???
Reply 42
Before any of you apply I strongly recommend you consider the employment situation for pharmacists. There aren't many jobs around and in 5 years time when you graduate the situation is likely to be worse than it is now. If you just type this into Google you will find lots of articles about this situation.
I am a second year pharmacist and things have gotten worse since I applied.
Reply 43
Original post by propagation
Is maths important as I picked Bio Instead :/

Biology will be more useful!
Reply 44
Original post by krishkmistry
Okay basically I have loads of work experience for Pharmacy,I've worked at Sainsbury's Pharmacy,an independent pharmacy,volunteered in the pharmacy dept at my hospital (Tameside, unfortunately) and I now have had a paid job since september working in a different pharmacy as a counter assistant every saturday. I also have a qualification in being a counter assistant too.Furthermore I'm also planning to have a visit to AstraZeneca soon.

This is the position I'm in - my personal statement looks strong as I've got a pharmacist to correct it.The thing is that I want to apply to Kings College london,UEA,Aston,Reading and UCL which all require AAB - if i don't get these grades on thursday and I get say,BBB,do i have a chance of at least getting interviewed ?

Are you thinking of going this year?
I have been accepted this year for UEA (if i get grades!) but now wanna go to Durham. Going to phone on thursday, and if not this year I am thinking about going next year. If you get ABB I would try phoning around for a place.
Has anyone done a 3rd year who I can talk to who ended up doing Pharmacy?
Hey guys,
How did everyone's results go? Everyone still set on applying for pharmacy? We should let each other know the grades you get predicted and the universities you end up applying to - will be beneficial to many. Like wise, will do the same when I find out predicted grades
Expecting Abby or higher.got bcdd .absolutely gutted.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sorry Abbb

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 49
do you know how they calculate predicted grades? i got AACC at AS, do you think I would i still have a good chance to do pharmacy at a good uni?
Original post by Sum786
do you know how they calculate predicted grades? i got AACC at AS, do you think I would i still have a good chance to do pharmacy at a good uni?

You definitely do, they will take three A-levels so if you put forward AAC, you could be predicted A*AB for example.

I'm slightly worried because I'm taking ABD to A-level so I'll need to do some re-takes.
Reply 51
i got 4 C's at AS isit possible to do pharmacy?
Reply 52
Hi guys, new here, I'm applying for Pharmacy too!
Just got my results and I got 4 A's in Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Psychology. Thing is I'm a little worried because I was late booking work experience so I can only do it during the Christmas period which by then I would hope to have already sent off my application. So my question is, is there any point in doing the work experience, or should i write that i have done it already in my personal statement?
Reply 53
Original post by Kleenexx
Just got my results and I got 4 A's in Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Psychology. Thing is I'm a little worried because I was late booking work experience so I can only do it during the Christmas period which by then I would hope to have already sent off my application. So my question is, is there any point in doing the work experience, or should i write that i have done it already in my personal statement?

Work experience is not essential
Didn't get in this year.

So I'm gonna apply again. But this time with an access to science course.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by pinpin95

Yes it is. Portsmouth accepts Cs in both chemistry and biology

Posted from TSR Mobile
PLEASE HELP
today I got my as level results I got ABC, I'm happy apart from my C in chemistry. I want to be a pharmacist and can't do pharmacy with a C I really need a B so I'm planning on resitting my ISA and my summer exam. I need to know how likly it is that a university will want to give me a place based on these results. If my teachers say I'm predicted a b in chemistry will the universities accept me???
Pleaee help me I'm freaking out and I'm worried I won't get accepted into university!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by HelpmepleaseSOS
PLEASE HELP
today I got my as level results I got ABC, I'm happy apart from my C in chemistry. I want to be a pharmacist and can't do pharmacy with a C I really need a B so I'm planning on resitting my ISA and my summer exam. I need to know how likly it is that a university will want to give me a place based on these results. If my teachers say I'm predicted a b in chemistry will the universities accept me???
Pleaee help me I'm freaking out and I'm worried I won't get accepted into university!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

If your teachers predict you a b, you will be fine.
Some universities accept chemistry at a C grade. Don't worry too much.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Chin up, I'll tell you my story :smile:

I got CCCU at AS level (bad right) With a U in maths as well :|. I was beyond demotivated. However I applied to my universities and got all my pharmacy offers, obviously planning to do retakes in my A2 year. It's not all doom and gloom, My predicted grades after AS were BBB. And today I got my A2 results BBB :smile: I needed ABB but my university still accepted me for which I'm very grateful. And furthermore, I applied to Aston Univeristy as well with those AS grades and got an offer for AAB, was absolutely gobsmacked. So cheer up and don't be disheartened :smile: If a univeristy likes you based on your PS and references they'll usually ignore your AS results, because they know it may not be a true reflection!

Original post by Sum786

Well I got CCCU, My predicted grades were BBB. So it all depends on your college and teachers if I'm honest! You'll still definitely have a great chance with those grades don't be put off!

Original post by pinpin95

Definitely Don't worry :smile: Just make sure you contact Uni's before you apply, for example I wanted to apply to Bath, Uclan, they said no. So I didn't bother wasting a precious UCAS choice :smile:

Original post by Kleenexx

I started my work eperience very late too! and did for about 2 months! I worded my PS very sneakily and said something like , I am still contiuning with my work experinece blah blah Don't worry :smile:

Original post by HelpmepleaseSOS
PLEASE HELP

Posted from TSR Mobile

I got a C in chemistry AS, I got a B overall at A2. It's possible! :smile:
Original post by ADAOBI123
Didn't get in this year.

So I'm gonna apply again. But this time with an access to science course.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Unlucky, but good luck this time! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending