The Student Room Group
University of York
York

colleges

Is the university of york collegiate? I`m not from the UK and I have problems finding out:s-smilie:
Reply 1
Original post by Atinsoy
Is the university of york collegiate? I`m not from the UK and I have problems finding out:s-smilie:

It's not really collegiate in the same way as Oxford, Cambridge and some Durham colleges. They're not really independently run and don't have independent academic teaching. At York everybody chooses a college. For undergraduates who are not commuting you live in your college with flatmates, your college has it's own sports teams which compete with other colleges in addition to whole university sports teams. Also some colleges have their own societies e.g. Langwith College has Chess.

Most colleges have their own bars, cafe's and common rooms but it doesn't mean they're exclusive to their own college members. During Freshers Week (The first week of university, where you meet lots of people) lots of the events you attend will be organised by your individual college, and you will have a college head, college STYC (Second and Third Year Contact), specifically for your college. Also throughout the year your college will organise it's own events such as - trips to other parts of the UK, and Europe, Balls etc.
University of York
York
Reply 2
Thanks alex that was amazingly helpful!:smile::smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending