The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

How do the colleges decide who gets to go to their first choice college at Durham?

I have got an offer to study PPE and I need to decide on my order of preference for the colleges.
I was wondering on what basis do the colleges decide who gets to go to their college.
For example for oversubscribed colleges like University (Castle) College, will they look at our achieved/ predicted grades to decide, or is it first- come- first- served?
I have not made my decision yet, but I am going to wait until after the offer- holder day, when I will have the chance to visit the colleges. Would you filling out the college preference form ASAP if it is a first- come- first- serve basis?

Thank you
Original post by islashiner1
I have got an offer to study PPE and I need to decide on my order of preference for the colleges.
I was wondering on what basis do the colleges decide who gets to go to their college.
For example for oversubscribed colleges like University (Castle) College, will they look at our achieved/ predicted grades to decide, or is it first- come- first- served?
I have not made my decision yet, but I am going to wait until after the offer- holder day, when I will have the chance to visit the colleges. Would you filling out the college preference form ASAP if it is a first- come- first- serve basis?
Thank you
The allocation system is done by Uni centrally I believe, not the colleges themselves. If it hasn’t changed from previous years then allocation is done on a random algorithm sort of thing (that’s not to do with grades and not first come first serve as long as you submit preferences in time). To find out the full process you will probably be able to find more information if you search Durham college allocation process on Google.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Original post by islashiner1
Thank you

Hi there

The above link is exactly the one I would refer you to. As mentioned on it, grades aren't taken into account while allocating colleges and spaces are allocated randomly by an algorithm.

College allocation starts in the last week of April so you can amend your college preference list as much as you want until then.

-Himieka

Quick Reply

Latest