The Student Room Group

Leeds A100 Applicants 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by I'm the man
Did anyone else do the OCR Level 2 National award in ICT. I was told this equated to 2 GCSE's. I got a distinction which they said was a A or A star. Will this be marked manually,

I got a distinction in that too, it's meant to equate to 2 As at GCSE but it hasn't been used on their assessment, I'm still in band 1 for academics thankfully

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 981
Any grad on here, what was your score like?

Mines was 10 and 7 ...pretty cool :tongue:
Original post by Ama2007
Any grad on here, what was your score like?

Mines was 10 and 7 ...pretty cool :tongue:

Yh but don't forget they havn't taken into account your degree. You'll probably move up the dectiles maybe even to first depending on your degree. They said in the email probably fourth decile and above will have PS's read and you'd average this and more as academic scoring holds more worth than the aptitude in the scoring system. Secondly they said a low ukcat score can be compensated by a high academic score, so I'd say your still in a decent position.
Original post by frogs r everywhere
X

Original post by Hugby1
I

REAPPLICANTS with non-cashed-in-AS

There are a lot of messages here saying that there is no need to worry, because it will manually adjusted when it comes to entering in.

I can confirm, following emails yesterday with Pat and contact my tutor has made - they will not be changing my decile.

They don't see it as their mistake to fix.

They believe that I am in the correct decile because I didn't declare my AS despite having my A2's.

My tutor has had the same conversation and not managed to budge them at all.

So all this stuff about "they're going to change it," - well no. Unless you have been told that in writing please don't say that, because it's simply not true, and it's aggravating to see someone dangling hope in the air, when I'd rather accept it for what it is and cut my losses.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 984
Original post by ameelia22

There are a lot of messages here saying that there is no need to worry, because it will manually adjusted when it comes to entering in.

I can confirm, following emails yesterday with Pat and contact my tutor has made - they will not be changing my decile.

They believe that I am in the correct decile because I didn't declare my AS despite having my A2's.

So all this stuff about "they're going to change it," - well no. Unless you have been told that in writing please don't say that, because it's simply not true, and it's aggravating to see someone dangling hope in the air, when I'd rather accept it for what it is and cut my losses.

Posted from TSR Mobile

This makes me so angry-as a post a level applicant myself I was specifically told that 3 A's at A Level would gain full marks for the academic score. Effectively they've lied to us, and tbh i think this is just them making an excuse to get out of doing yet more manual scoring of applications. it's an absolute disgrace-this is peoples' FUTURES that they are dealing with, all decided on a stupid f***** up computer data spreadsheet, that as we've discovered in the past few days, has actually placed most people in the wrong deciles.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 985
Original post by Richyp22
Yh but don't forget they havn't taken into account your degree. You'll probably move up the dectiles maybe even to first depending on your degree. They said in the email probably fourth decile and above will have PS's read and you'd average this and more as academic scoring holds more worth than the aptitude in the scoring system. Secondly they said a low ukcat score can be compensated by a high academic score, so I'd say your still in a decent position.

Yes but even my school grades? I mean 10 for my school grades...they are not that bad, I got AAAAC.

My degree is a 2.1 in Master of pharmacy, so what do you reckon that would be...do many grads apply with a 1st?
Reply 986
Original post by ameelia22

Posted from TSR Mobile

I am shocked. They have lied to us, as over the phone I was told to expect full marks for academics. Can you please show us all your sent emails and their replies? This is just wrong, there are so many excellent applicants that will be ignored if this is the case. This is ridiculous and unfair, WE WERE NOT TOLD TO DECLARE AS RESULTS ON OUR UCAS FORMS.
Original post by Ama2007
Yes but even my school grades? I mean 10 for my school grades...they are not that bad, I got AAAAC.

My degree is a 2.1 in Master of pharmacy, so what do you reckon that would be...do many grads apply with a 1st?

Everybody will have AAA achieved or predicted atleast so A-levels will have no baring on the decile. They'll have done it on gcse's I'd think.

Not sure about your second question I doubt many graduates apply, I would think your masters would help alot though.
Reply 988
Band 1 for academics and band 6 for ukcat (got 660) do I still have a decent chance? If they average it out then surely I'm in the top 4 bands overall?
I still don't understand why all of these emails are being sent out, why can't they be more clear about whether we have a chance of not
Will our ranking change much or at all when they actually count our gcse science grades?
Original post by WednesdayAddams
When did you email? Pat Harkin said this morning that they would not respond to any emails or be picking up the phone. I think it's also unlikely they will respond to any emails sent yesterday unless it's about missing information.

Your application will be checked over manually and any discrepancies will be picked up then. They won't let the computer just reject you. Try and stay calm for now and wait for the manual ranking.

I got an email yesterday from Pat Harkin saying he would manually adjust the settings to make sure the rankings were correct, so i think they should have everyone sorted out quite soon :smile: so i'm a lot less stressed now! :smile:
Original post by Rhilouisem
I got an email yesterday from Pat Harkin saying he would manually adjust the settings to make sure the rankings were correct, so i think they should have everyone sorted out quite soon :smile: so i'm a lot less stressed now! :smile:

Excellent :smile:. Hopefully this will reassure others getting stressed about their seemingly unfair ranking. Fingers crossed for when they start doing it manually.
Well, I just checked my feedback again. GCSE Double Science still 'not accepted' and academic ranking still rock bottom at 8. I really wish they would hurry up with the manual; I have no idea how far up my degree will push me.

Academic: 8, Aptitude: 1
Well, I just checked my feedback again. GCSE Double Science still 'not accepted' and academic ranking still rock bottom at 8. I really wish they would hurry up with the manual; I have no idea how far up my degree will push me.

Academic: 8, Aptitude: 1

I got double science still not accepted but I have GCSE biology and chemistry at a grade B or above. They have given me a 1 for academics however.
Original post by mrhedgehog
I got double science still not accepted but I have GCSE biology and chemistry at a grade B or above. They have given me a 1 for academics however.

I have A*A* for GCSE Double Award Science.

I take it you're not a graduate? I don't understand how AAA at A level puts me in decile 8 (I think I did declare my ASs in the form of module grades, but not as separate qualifications, which would not have made sense) but I will wait until they rank my degree before I panic.
Reply 995
I have A*A* for GCSE Double Award Science.

I take it you're not a graduate? I don't understand how AAA at A level puts me in decile 8 (I think I did declare my ASs in the form of module grades, but not as separate qualifications, which would not have made sense) but I will wait until they rank my degree before I panic.

Did you get a first in your degree?
Original post by Ama2007
Did you get a first in your degree?

Nah it was a 2.1. It's from Cambridge though (BA(Hons) Natural Sciences and will automatically be converted to an MA cantab in a year or so) so I'm hoping that counts for something, probably not though.
Reply 997
Original post by Richyp22
Everybody will have AAA achieved or predicted atleast so A-levels will have no baring on the decile. They'll have done it on gcse's I'd think.

Not sure about your second question I doubt many graduates apply, I would think your masters would help alot though.

The thing is I don't have gcse or a-level. ..I have Scottish qualifications so I don't know if they will find the equivalent or not. ..I doubt many scots apply here. ..so no sure no.
Reply 998
Original post by 123Tomxd
I am shocked. They have lied to us, as over the phone I was told to expect full marks for academics. Can you please show us all your sent emails and their replies? This is just wrong, there are so many excellent applicants that will be ignored if this is the case. This is ridiculous and unfair, WE WERE NOT TOLD TO DECLARE AS RESULTS ON OUR UCAS FORMS.

Got a response from Pat. I asked why at Open Day we have been told that archived AAA will score full marks and it's totally contradict their actual scoring shown in my feedback. Here what he wrote_
'I think you may have misunderstood what was said at Open Day. The academic score is made up of GCSE/AS and A-level components. With your existing A-levels, you will receive the maximum score for the A-level section, but your GCSE/AS score will still be based on your GCSE/AS performance. I assure you we have not gone against our published Admissions Policy which is available on our website, both as a PDF booklet and a PowerPoint presentation'.:frown:
Original post by rustank
Got a response from Pat. I asked why at Open Day we have been told that archived AAA will score full marks and it's totally contradict their actual scoring shown in my feedback. Here what he wrote_
'I think you may have misunderstood what was said at Open Day. The academic score is made up of GCSE/AS and A-level components. With your existing A-levels, you will receive the maximum score for the A-level section, but your GCSE/AS score will still be based on your GCSE/AS performance. I assure you we have not gone against our published Admissions Policy which is available on our website, both as a PDF booklet and a PowerPoint presentation'.:frown:

so people will not be moving up deciles??

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending