The Student Room Group

When is everyone sending off their uni applications? :D

And also - anyone experienced XD, do you have any idea of how long we can expect to wait for replies back? :biggrin:
Reply 1
I'm sending mine off before october 15th for oxford and a few days after the 15th for all my other universities :smile:

If they really like you you could hear back within 2 weeks, if you are in the pool and they are unsure it could take til march
Reply 2
10th October for all of them
As long as you send it before the 15th of October if you applying for dentistry/Medicine/Oxbridge or 15th of January for everything else, (except selected art courses) you should be alright.
Different universities take different lengths of time to reply, for example, Edinburgh take a notoriously long time to reply, whereas Glasgow I think have been know to reply in less than 24 hours.
Also a few people in my school who sent their applications off early got up to 5 offers by December, but as long as you send it before the deadline for your course, you should be at an equal vantage :smile:
Good luck :smile:
Unless you are applying for Oxford, Cambridge or any of the specific Medicine etc courses that have an earlier date, then there is no advantage in sending in your application early.

This has been dealt with a several other recent threads on TSR. You will not have any advantage over any other candidates just be applying early. If you apply by the mid Jan 2014 deadline, then you will get 'equal consideration'. Its that simple.

There are actually a couple of advantages with applying later. Firstly, if you have 'woken up' after mediocre AS results and are now trying to convince a teacher that you are capable of AAA etc predictions, this delay give you time to show them your new motivation and results. Secondly you are far more likely to have properly thought out your application - both where you are going and what you intend to study. This avoids you putting in a hasty application then regretting it in the New Year and trying to unpick and change bits of it - always difficult, sometime impossible. Your PS will also have gone through a few extra drafts and is likely to be more coherent.

A good plan is to have your application totally 'ready to go' but then to wait before you actually submit it to UCAS. You'll have had extra time to think twice about everything, change Uni/course selections and fine tune your PS. Then, press the submit button in December. Your school may set an earlier deadline - you don't have to adhere to this, no matter what they say. Its your application; you finally press the button to send it to UCAS.
Reply 5
Original post by Munrot07
I'm sending mine off before october 15th for oxford and a few days after the 15th for all my other universities :smile:

I never understood how you do that! I want to apply to Cambridge so I have the October 15 deadline, but how can I send my other applications later on? I mean, there's only one submit button! I hope someone can help me with this one! :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Lia.
I never understood how you do that! I want to apply to Cambridge so I have the October 15 deadline, but how can I send my other applications later on? I mean, there's only one submit button! I hope someone can help me with this one! :smile:

I'm not 100% sure on this so don't trust me, i know you can definitely do it but someone told me what you do is, in your case, just put down Cambridge as your only choice out of the 5 you are allowed, then send of the application. Then after the 15th you put down your other 4 choices (obviously making sure Cambridge still isn't there) and submit the form with the 4 new choices :smile: That makes sense but again, i'm not 100% sure :smile:
Reply 7
I'm not 100% sure on this so don't trust me, i know you can definitely do it but someone told me what you do is, in your case, just put down Cambridge as your only choice out of the 5 you are allowed, then send of the application. Then after the 15th you put down your other 4 choices (obviously making sure Cambridge still isn't there) and submit the form with the 4 new choices :smile: That makes sense but again, i'm not 100% sure :smile:

Thanks, that really does make sense! I guess I'll just call UCAS to be completely sure, but I think you're right! :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by Lia.
Thanks, that really does make sense! I guess I'll just call UCAS to be completely sure, but I think you're right! :smile:

If you phone them and find out can you tell me please? :smile: thanks
Original post by Lia.

I believe that you submit all your applications before the october 15 deadline ( you submit them all at once) if you're applying for oxford/ cambridge
I sent mine of a month and a half before starting uni but I applied direct instead of through UCAS
Reply 11
If you phone them and find out can you tell me please? :smile: thanks

So I talked to them earlier today and basically you just send your application off with Oxford/Cambridge as your only choice before October 15 and leave the four other options blank. When you want to send it to other unis later on you go to UCAS Track and that's where you can then add up to four more choices. Sounds quite simple, I'll definitely give it a try! Hope this helps! :smile:
Late October/Early November. I just want it to be a bit earlier so I can perhaps get a chance to get a faster response (although it may take longer who knows). If anything goes wrong with my application, at least I can fix it before the main deadline comes around. I'm not applying for Oxbridge or medicine but I really do advise anyone who is to apply before the 15th October rolls around and make sure that your personal statement is up to scratch. A few people forgot last year in our school an ended up with no or 1 offer. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending