The Student Room Group

The "Girls can get laid more easily than Boys" Myth

Scroll to see replies

It's easy for girls to get laid if they're hot. It's also easy for guys to get laid if they're hot.

I'd say it's probably easier for average looking girls to get laid than average looking guys but if an average guy has a lot of confidence and knows how to charm then that trumps it.

Loads of factors really.
Original post by PythianLegume
You could get laid easily - just because your boyfriends didn't want it, doesn't mean there weren't other guys desperate for it. And if we can't talk about general trends, then much of social science would be complete rubbish.

Trends have applications if you're running a survey or starting a company. But in a relationship advice forum, which is pretty much 100% reliant on anecdotal problems and advice, they're pretty much useless. If you're dealing with an individual's thread, figuring out their specific scenario will always be more useful than appealing to general trends. There's just too much variation in people to say "you're a guy, therefore..."
Original post by MelanieDickson
Trends have applications if you're running a survey or starting a company. But in a relationship advice forum, which is pretty much 100% reliant on anecdotal problems and advice, they're pretty much useless. If you're dealing with an individual's thread, figuring out their specific scenario will always be more useful than appealing to general trends. There's just too much variation in people to say "you're a guy, therefore..."

But this thread isn't about a situation - it's about the general rule that it's easier for girls to get sex compared to guys.
Original post by Nyheter
The man argument people seem to put forward is "women can get it from anywhere, anytime". Think about it. Do you really think that is true?? This links to my first point also. If a women came up to you out of the blue, I doubt you'd say yes.

Actually men do say yes at higher rates than women. I remember this interesting study on it. http://www.elainehatfield.com/79.pdf No women wanted to have sex with any of the men who approached them but 70% of men agreed to have sex.
Original post by PythianLegume
But this thread isn't about a situation - it's about the general rule that it's easier for girls to get sex compared to guys.

Considering OP asked on a relationships forum, not the society forum and provided anecdotal evidence for their side of the discussion, I think it's safe to assume they were looking for individual's experience/opinion on the matter.
Original post by Theflyingbarney
But that's the point. If your hypothesis was 'it's just as hard for girls to have sex without getting stigmatised as it is for a guy, then you'd probably be right. But that's because of different reasons - for guys, it's difficult to get a girl to agree to sleep with you but once you do people won't think much of it, whereas for a girl it's easier to get someone to sleep with you but you might be put off by what people might think. In short, the far bigger barrier to the girl having sex in such a scenario is her own qualms, rather than the unwillingness of potential partners. Meanwhile, if a girl decided she wanted to have sex and didn't care what people think then she'd find it a lot easier to find a willing partner than a guy would, as the videos effectively illustrate.

Exactly this. While it may seem easier for a woman to get causal sex because her pool of potential partners is larger, the only reason the pool is larger is because there are a lot of women not engaging in causal sex. Not all women who don't have causal sex don't want it; it is just that they have different rules about it than men. Even if some of the women in the video did want to have sex with the man, I would guess that many would turn him now due to internalised social constraints anyway.
Reply 66
Original post by Nyheter
Ok? So what's you point?

A guy said girls like muscles, you said no, I said yes, you said no again, I said yes in more detail, you appear to now agree.

In which case my point has been made.
Reply 67
Original post by roh
A guy said girls like muscles, you said no, I said yes, you said no again, I said yes in more detail, you appear to now agree.

In which case my point has been made.

No I don't agree most girls don't like muscles as much as people think. You've even seen it on here, guy posts a pic of him or someone else most girls say too muscle for me.
Reply 68
Original post by Nyheter
No I don't agree most girls don't like muscles as much as people think. You've even seen it on here, guy posts a pic of him or someone else most girls say too muscle for me.

I said athletic, not bodybuilder, I know most girls don't like that.

If we're using TSR as a source, see this thread: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2414708

The swimmer and the athletic got the most, combined they were over 70%, both are muscly.
Original post by roh
I said athletic, not bodybuilder, I know most girls don't like that.

If we're using TSR as a source, see this thread: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2414708

The swimmer and the athletic got the most, combined they were over 70%, both are muscly.

those statistics are invalid cus they don't agree with OP's point.
Original post by LavenderBlueSky88

I'd say it's probably easier for average looking girls to get laid than average looking guys but if an average guy has a lot of confidence and knows how to charm then that trumps it.

I agree with this.

Was gonna make a post, but I guess you said it :redface:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 71
Original post by Foo.mp3
Not surprised you're getting negged OP, maybe do your homework next time.. :rolleyes:

Awkward, someones already posted those...
and it was on the first page :facepalm2:

Now who should have done their homework.. :rolleyes::cool:
I've never been interested in casual sex so I've never tried to "pull" (I'm female) but I know several girls and women who aren't what most guys would consider particularly attractive who have had loads of ONS, yet there's good looking guys who haven't been as successful. I think probably the majority of females could go to a club and find someone to have a ONS with if they weren't picky about who it was and made it clear that they were up for it. Males probably not so much. According to what men I know have said a lot of men aren't particularly that bothered about what a woman looks like if it's just a ONS situation, hence sayings like "beauty is only a light switch away" and "you don't look at the mantle whilst you're poking the fire".

I think its true that females are usually less inclined to have casual sex than males are (as well as the social stigma of possibly being ladled a slut/slag/slapper etc its also more risky for females: they're more likely to contract STDs along with the possibility of getting pregnant) yet this just makes it easier for those who want to have casual sex to get it.
Original post by Nyheter
Got a lot of anger in you haven't you.
I don't believe it's the case to be honest, you are picturing a hot girl, a hot guy could do the same with a girl. No need to be romantic. As you've seen the celebs 1D, ryan gosling etc..

The appeal of them is more likely their celeb status rather than your looks. A guy is much more likely to say yes to an average looking girl than a girl is to an average looking guy.
Original post by MelanieDickson

For what it's worth, I've had five boyfriends since I was seventeen and only one of them was ready for sex, so I laugh when people say any girl can get laid easy.

But if you'd agree to have sex with any average person you'd probably find it pretty easy to get laid ... you were looking specifically for sex within a relationship and as such, took yourself off the market for the purpose of just 'getting laid'. Do you really think that if you went to a club and propositioned guys you wouldn't easily find willing guys?
Reply 75
I read this interesting study where students on a uni campus were approached by strangers with offers for casual sex. They found that straight women were more likely to refuse but that straight men and gay women had similar numbers of acceptance. (Can't for the life of me find it again, so feel free to just ignore this)

They think it's to do with how likely the person thinks it is that they'll orgasm. Considering most women can't orgasm via penetration alone straight women are more likely to reject advances as they think ONS are less likely to be attentive and bother doing much besides penetration, meaning that the sex for them won't be very good. Straight men basically almost always orgasm so they don't have to worry about this and gay women are confident that other gay women will already have experience in these sorts of matters so don't have to worry either.

Obviously this was only one study and the results don't really prove the hypothesis, but it seems like it could be possible.

I think finding proper relationships is equally hard for both genders but I imagine finding casual sex is probably a bit easier for a woman, especially if she lowers her standards somewhat.
Reply 76
Original post by Steezy
Bottom line - if a female walks up to a single male and asks if he wants to ****. Chances are he'll say yes.

Flip it round and you've got a public disorder offence.

Quoted for absolute truth.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending