The Student Room Group

A2 Maths

Hi everyone, so basically I'm going into A2 and was wondering whether anyone could give me any suggestions or recommendations regarding A2 maths material as maths is not my strongest subject but I am thinking of pursuing economics at uni and therefore need to get an A in maths in order to gain a place at top unis.. So if anyone can share any highly useful revision/guidance/self study material then I would be grateful

p.s any personal techniques you have tried yourself and found to be effective and successful are also welcome

Thanks
Reply 1
Maths is definitely not my strongest and here's not what to do from my experience:

DO NOT copy off your classmate during class and for homework
If you don't understand something, ask and get full clarification. don't hesitate to ask even if you think you're slowing the class down. it's YOUR a level grade and if they get mad, ask someone when everyone's working.
if you learn it there and then, you won't struggle so much during revision.

start doing past papers early but freely and not in chunks.
keep any questions you needed help on and save them to do again another time.

notes stored in a folder in a logical order etc

that's all from the top of my head. I was predicted an A for A2 Maths and ended up getting a U for C4 and a C overall, literally because i did the exact opposite of every point I've just made. I regret it so much and I seriously wish I wasn't so frickin lazy

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by sylviachung
Maths is definitely not my strongest and here's not what to do from my experience:

If you don't understand something, ask and get full clarification. don't hesitate to ask even if you think you're slowing the class down. it's YOUR a level grade and if they get mad, ask someone when everyone's working.

that's all from the top of my head. I was predicted an A for A2 Maths and ended up getting a U for C4 and a C overall, literally because i did the exact opposite of every point I've just made. I regret it so much and I seriously wish I wasn't so frickin lazy

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hmm.. sounds like good advice to me and in relation to the copying bit, well no way, that would be a complete waste of time considering that on the day of the exam its just you and the paper lol but yeh, thanks for the advice.. btw apart from doing past papers do you have any useful resources that you would recommend for maths ? I'm with AQA for maths if that makes a difference
Reply 3
honestly, I don't know many because I slacked off big time with maths. I seriously assumed that just because I'm Chinese and EVERYONE in my family are math geniuses that I would have the gene too. I left it way too last minute and flopped :/

http://www.examsolutions.net/
helped me a lot though

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4

Posted from TSR Mobile

I strongly disagree with your first point. I did nothing but copy my mate's homework and I got an A. Why? Because I did the work in my own time. Homework is bull****, I can set my own work timetables thank you very much. 20 questions to be completed by tomorrow. What's the point? It becomes a chore, you just rush it and don't take in the information properly. I can agree with sticking to coursework deadlines because long project work is all about being able to work effectively to deadlines but not homework, it's just plain revision that you should just do in your own time.

OP, listen to the teacher, read the book and practice the questions that's all you can do. In maths you can understand the question perfectly but if you haven't practiced it enough you will flop it. Maths is weird like that.
Reply 5
Original post by Ess R Kay
Hi everyone, so basically I'm going into A2 and was wondering whether anyone could give me any suggestions or recommendations regarding A2 maths material as maths is not my strongest subject but I am thinking of pursuing economics at uni and therefore need to get an A in maths in order to gain a place at top unis.. So if anyone can share any highly useful revision/guidance/self study material then I would be grateful

p.s any personal techniques you have tried yourself and found to be effective and successful are also welcome

Thanks

This above website will be a God's gift for you in your coming maths journey....It will guide you to Heaven (Good Grade in Maths) :biggrin: lol
btw A2 Maths is hard as ****! I got grade A's in AS Maths but i couldn't get similar grades in A2 Maths which pulled down my overall A-level Maths grade to C :frown:
Reply 6
Original post by spun29

This above website will be a God's gift for you in your coming maths journey....It will guide you to Heaven (Good Grade in Maths) :biggrin: lol
btw A2 Maths is hard as ****! I got grade A's in AS Maths but i couldn't get similar grades in A2 Maths which pulled down my overall A-level Maths grade to C :frown:

OMG I'm the exact same 9_9 what grades did you get for your A2 modules ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

What did you get in AS Maths? And what other subjects were you doing alongside Maths in A2! To be predicted an A and get a U is quite scary and awful to hear

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
subjects I did were maths biology chemistry and French. I got a B for maths AS because I got a U for C1. the easiest module 9_9
retook it in A2 and got full UMS thank god.

A2 modules were terrible. In jan i got a U in C3 . Summer i got C in S2/C3 and U in C4

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
OMG I'm the exact same 9_9 what grades did you get for your A2 modules ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I got Grade (C in C3) (C in D1) and (D in C4) :frown:
Thanks God i managed to get Grade A's in my other A-Levels which allowed me to get into my firm choice university last year :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest