The Student Room Group

Dressing in a more "preppy" style?

Am thinking of switching my style up to that for a bit as I really want a change - any ideas on what items of clothing to wear/include? :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2
Original post by shadowdweller
Geeky in what sense?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Are there different senses? I just meant generally geeky... preferably not something cosplay-ish, though. :tongue:
Original post by Collette94
Are there different senses? I just meant generally geeky... preferably not something cosplay-ish, though. :tongue:

What he said.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5

my blood is already boiling!
Original post by arkhamz

Why?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by arkhamz

Boil away. :dry:
My thinking is that you shouldn't dress geeky/nerdy unless you actually ARE a bit of a geek or nerd, and if you are, then it should come natural to you really, what to wear - because you'd wear your favourite sci-fi/geeky TV show or film t-shirts.

It's going to awkward for everyone involved if you wear a Star Trek t-shirt and someone makes the mistake of assuming you are into that kind of thing if you're not, just so you can look nerdy/geeky. More importantly, you'll embarrass the other person, for assuming based on your clothing choice that you are into the same things as they are.

I suggest sticking to whet you know, and not trying to be something you'r not, just because it's fashionable. If you have to wear a t-shirt that says 'geek' you probably aren't one.
Reply 9

Boil away. :dry:

Basically this

Original post by FilmNerd1989
My thinking is that you shouldn't dress geeky/nerdy unless you actually ARE a bit of a geek or nerd, and if you are, then it should come natural to you really, what to wear - because you'd wear your favourite sci-fi/geeky TV show or film t-shirts.

It's going to awkward for everyone involved if you wear a Star Trek t-shirt and someone makes the mistake of assuming you are into that kind of thing if you're not, just so you can look nerdy/geeky. More importantly, you'll embarrass the other person, for assuming based on your clothing choice that you are into the same things as they are.

I suggest sticking to whet you know, and not trying to be something you'r not, just because it's fashionable. If you have to wear a t-shirt that says 'geek' you probably aren't one.

I second this tbh.

Posted from TSR Mobile

This.

When I see them, or NERD, or whatever it either makes me laugh, have pity, or get angry.
Geeks around the world have taken what used to be an insult and reclaimed it as their identity, you can't just take it back
Reply 12

I'm not.

I meant a more conservative, tomboyish style. Not boyfriend style. Dunno what you'd call it but it looks more geeky/nerdy.
I'm not.

I meant a more conservative, tomboyish style. Not boyfriend style. Dunno what you'd call it but it looks more geeky/nerdy.

I'm not 100% sure what style you're talking about then. Have you got any examples?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14

I agree with this completely.
Reply 15
I'm not 100% sure what style you're talking about then. Have you got any examples?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Kind of like hoodies, plaid shirts or T-shirts, jeans, trainers/boots, very plain and simple? :dontknow:
Kind of like hoodies, plaid shirts or T-shirts, jeans, trainers/boots, very plain and simple? :dontknow:

Oh right. Surely that answers your own question then? :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17

Posted from TSR Mobile

I need more stuff than that, though, or I'll have a very generic style :tongue:

Even if people could just suggest random items of clothing along the same lines, that would be a good place to start, I guess.
I need more stuff than that, though, or I'll have a very generic style :tongue:

Even if people could just suggest random items of clothing along the same lines, that would be a good place to start, I guess.

qwertee.com is good for t-shirts for different 'fandoms', and play.com is pretty good for that kinda of clothing style in general.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19

Posted from TSR Mobile

Madame Vastra? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest