The Student Room Group

Are there any 2014 midwifery applicants??

Scroll to see replies

Reply 620
Original post by SoniaTwizere
Hey! It is beyond the worst feeling ever! I just turned 18 last month.. That was the worst thing! All my friends were getting interview, firms and I was the receiving rejections like you said. I won't even lie, I cried. I was/am so gutted!

I ended up withdrawing my application form so I can't do that :frown: my PS let me down and after going through add extra and getting declined again, I just couldn't keep going through it..

I have been applying for healthcare assistant jobs no luck yet! I am planning to apply for voluntary work in a hospital! Hopefully all goes well! I've been emailing a few private midwives but they don't offer any overshadowing etc.. Do you know how I could apply/attend the SMNET workshops? And what did the workshops include?

I was planning to buy the book, definitely expensive as you said but I did think it was worth the money! Before I had the chance to purchase it a kind student midwife on SMNET told me that there was a more up to date version "The student guide to becoming a midwife"

I definitely need to do that! Need to know what is going on in regards to midwifery/NHS! Thank you!

Yeah that is true, I think I'd google them just to see what people said but on the day I know I wouldn't use them. Thank you so much for the paragraph! It has helped more than you can know! It is so lovely and sweet when people actually take time to help other! THANK YOU SO MUCH once again!!!!

Are you now at university? x

Awwww... I was 18 last year, I know exactly how your feeling, especially when people don't understand the midwifery process & question why you haven't received any offers. ( you have to constantly tell people, I'm trying my best. If only you knew how many places were all fighting for). Believe me, I cried to anyone who would listen.

The website careworx is really good for healthcare assistant jobs! Always something advertised. Sounds ridiculous but you really need to know /understand the role of a midwife..

I literally googled SMNET workshops (unable to provide a link) it was expensive (£50) but worth it & they only have a couple a year. I live in London, I attended one based in Camden. The one I attended had a student midwife- 3rd year & a midwife- working for 3 years & a senior midwife. (Big scope of the overall practice). The one I paid for, was help regarding personal statement. But once everyone's talking, there was loads of interview tips, advice on group interviews and 1-1. They went over PowerPoints regarding the role of midwifery- very informative. SMNET also provided 2 free ebooks (communication in midwifery.. Forgotten the other one).

No... Not currently at uni, actually doing an access course. Should be starting this sept 2014.

My advice to you would be, maybe stay away from unis who only have 20-30 places. (Kings and Surrey) Unis such as bedfordshire (80+ places) Anglia Ruskin Uni have (70+ at the Chelmsford campus). I'm not telling you to apply here obviously, but just to improve your chances.

Honestly there's no need to thank me, just a bit of tips, I thought off. I just
I wish someone sat me down in yr 12 telling me this. I'm sure you can relate.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by rushelle
Awwww... I was 18 last year, I know exactly how your feeling, especially when people don't understand the midwifery process & question why you haven't received any offers. ( you have to constantly tell people, I'm trying my best. If only you knew how many places were all fighting for). Believe me, I cried to anyone who would listen.

The website careworx is really good for healthcare assistant jobs! Always something advertised. Sounds ridiculous but you really need to know /understand the role of a midwife..

I literally googled SMNET workshops (unable to provide a link) it was expensive (£50) but worth it & they only have a couple a year. I live in London, I attended one based in Camden. The one I attended had a student midwife- 3rd year & a midwife- working for 3 years & a senior midwife. (Big scope of the overall practice). The one I paid for, was help regarding personal statement. But once everyone's talking, there was loads of interview tips, advice on group interviews and 1-1. They went over PowerPoints regarding the role of midwifery- very informative. SMNET also provided 2 free ebooks (communication in midwifery.. Forgotten the other one).

No... Not currently at uni, actually doing an access course. Should be starting this sept 2014.

My advice to you would be, maybe stay away from unis who only have 20-30 places. (Kings and Surrey) Unis such as bedfordshire (80+ places) Anglia Ruskin Uni have (70+ at the Chelmsford campus). I'm not telling you to apply here obviously, but just to improve your chances.

Honestly there's no need to thank me, just a bit of tips, I thought off. I just
I wish someone sat me down in yr 12 telling me this. I'm sure you can relate.

Haha no way! So you're 19! It is soo annoying because even after you've explained they still don't understand and are telling you there's other ways to get in for that year and it's like I'm literally wasting my breath! Worst feeling ever! :frown:

Thank you for the job website name! I am on it as I type haha! Will be applying for jobs. Thank you! I definitely agree with you there!

Oh wow! The SMNET workshops sound great! Need to have a little look on the website and put money aside! With driving lessons money is just flying everywhere!! I had hoped I would have had my license so that when I went uni in Sep I didn't have to worry about learning to drive..

How is your access course going?

I thought about that, changing my uni ideas.. only problem is they seem to be changing the grades they want (GCSE's)! Everything is one big stress for me right now!! I am definitely re-thinking Surrey! That was my first choice..

It;s great to get your advice! It is true no one really tells you what to expect and just assume you'll be offered a place which is annoying!
Reply 622
Haha no way! So you're 19! It is soo annoying because even after you've explained they still don't understand and are telling you there's other ways to get in for that year and it's like I'm literally wasting my breath! Worst feeling ever! :frown:

Thank you for the job website name! I am on it as I type haha! Will be applying for jobs. Thank you! I definitely agree with you there!

Oh wow! The SMNET workshops sound great! Need to have a little look on the website and put money aside! With driving lessons money is just flying everywhere!! I had hoped I would have had my license so that when I went uni in Sep I didn't have to worry about learning to drive..

How is your access course going?

I thought about that, changing my uni ideas.. only problem is they seem to be changing the grades they want (GCSE's)! Everything is one big stress for me right now!! I am definitely re-thinking Surrey! That was my first choice..

It;s great to get your advice! It is true no one really tells you what to expect and just assume you'll be offered a place which is annoying!

Yea only 19!!! Good luck with everything. I def need to learn to drive, my uncle is actually a driving instructor, I don't know what my excuse is haha!!

My access course is ok, someone I know who went to an interview was told people, rarely meet the conditions of their uni offers who go to my college. That's def daunting to hear. The thing with an access course, that I didn't know before applying.. When you submit work, and it meets the criteria of a pass/Merit there's no way to improve to a distinction level. If a uni asks for 30 distinctions, but you have less than that, a student could potentially lose their uni place due to strict marking. It was the only college to except me tho, you usually have to be 21+ for an access course due to funding.

I know unis are constantly changing the entry requirements, I think that's why I pursued an access course... I have something other than my alevels to back me up. I was 18 last sept, it was free can't really complain. I should have looked around more for other qualifications, such as leap course, or btec national diploma...

But yea in terms of your personal statement, I know I spent weeks looking for midwifery personal statements online to get my ideas flowing, I know this website has a couple... If you ever want any help, I don't mind showing you bits and pieces of my first personal statement submitted & the second one I submitted for this academic year. I've already submitted it, there shouldn't be any plagiarism issues I'm sure.
Yea only 19!!! Good luck with everything. I def need to learn to drive, my uncle is actually a driving instructor, I don't know what my excuse is haha!!

My access course is ok, someone I know who went to an interview was told people, rarely meet the conditions of their uni offers who go to my college. That's def daunting to hear. The thing with an access course, that I didn't know before applying.. When you submit work, and it meets the criteria of a pass/Merit there's no way to improve to a distinction level. If a uni asks for 30 distinctions, but you have less than that, a student could potentially lose their uni place due to strict marking. It was the only college to except me tho, you usually have to be 21+ for an access course due to funding.

I know unis are constantly changing the entry requirements, I think that's why I pursued an access course... I have something other than my alevels to back me up. I was 18 last sept, it was free can't really complain. I should have looked around more for other qualifications, such as leap course, or btec national diploma...

But yea in terms of your personal statement, I know I spent weeks looking for midwifery personal statements online to get my ideas flowing, I know this website has a couple... If you ever want any help, I don't mind showing you bits and pieces of my first personal statement submitted & the second one I submitted for this academic year. I've already submitted it, there shouldn't be any plagiarism issues I'm sure.

We are still so young!! It is fun, a bit stressful though! Haha no way!! You should definitely go for it!

No way! I didn't know that. It seems like each year unis ask for more and it makes it harder for all of us! Oh hunnie, I wish you the best! I am sure you will get the grades you need to in order to get into university and study Midwifery! I am so shocked about the whole grading system with access course, makes it so much harder to get in!:frown: I really hope it works out for you!!

It is so frustrating and unbelievable! Yeah that is definitely true. I had thought about an access course starting Sep 2014 but I'm not sure about it especially the money.. Yeah that is definitely good, will show you have other qualifications!! It will look when they're looking at your application form!:smile: that is true! I'm doing my extended btec in h&s. Thinking of doing biology science but I'm not sure!

When I was applying last year, I did the same. I'm sure I drove my eyes crazy haha! Are you sure? Oh wow! That would mean a lot! It really would!:biggrin: I wouldn't copy, it would just help me know where to start again.. It amazes me how tutors, teachers, career advisors don't help us students but other students on websites like this help us! It's unbelievable! I don't even know what to say but thank you so much! For continuing to reply and being so helpful! It really means a lot to me!
Reply 624
Hello dann sorry to bother u just I noticed in one if the threads u mentioned having intreview @ Brighton Uni in January
I am going to have one next week and I am very nervousness I just wanted to know what it was like especially the maths and English tests and how sis it go for u any offer ? Ta
We are still so young!! It is fun, a bit stressful though! Haha no way!! You should definitely go for it!

No way! I didn't know that. It seems like each year unis ask for more and it makes it harder for all of us! Oh hunnie, I wish you the best! I am sure you will get the grades you need to in order to get into university and study Midwifery! I am so shocked about the whole grading system with access course, makes it so much harder to get in!:frown: I really hope it works out for you!!

It is so frustrating and unbelievable! Yeah that is definitely true. I had thought about an access course starting Sep 2014 but I'm not sure about it especially the money.. Yeah that is definitely good, will show you have other qualifications!! It will look when they're looking at your application form!:smile: that is true! I'm doing my extended btec in h&s. Thinking of doing biology science but I'm not sure!

When I was applying last year, I did the same. I'm sure I drove my eyes crazy haha! Are you sure? Oh wow! That would mean a lot! It really would!:biggrin: I wouldn't copy, it would just help me know where to start again.. It amazes me how tutors, teachers, career advisors don't help us students but other students on websites like this help us! It's unbelievable! I don't even know what to say but thank you so much! For continuing to reply and being so helpful! It really means a lot to me!

Thank you!! I just think the most important thing to remember, is everything you stand to lose, even when you feel burnt out. - still revise, read the notes, do the assignments etc...

I would def pursue the biology, a lot of unis recommend biology or human biology. I know the college I attend allow you to retake/sit alevels for free between the ages of 16-19. Not sure whether all colleges allow this. How's your btec, is it 12 or 18 units?

No problem, just private message me when ever you're ready to re write your personal statement. (I'll try and help, not an expert haha!!) :biggrin::biggrin:

Believe me I know how useless teachers can be in terms of helping NHS students. At my college a couple students received five rejections, due their personal statement. All the tutor did was check for spelling mistakes, really? How about offering advice, making sure the personal statement flows & points out every key detail of midwifery. It's ridiculous, and pure laziness. I personally think teachers are more equipped to help students, who plan on studying English or business. Courses which are £9000 a year & students can receive a conditional or unconditional offer without an interview.

I need to calm down haha!! I know how frustrated you can feel, when there's no support, and you have to figure things out yourself. Just an insight when applying to uni next year, I remember a couple girls saying certain unis are no longer considering access course students from 2015. - it's up to you if purse the course tho obv.
Original post by Izzy-88
Hello dann sorry to bother u just I noticed in one if the threads u mentioned having intreview @ Brighton Uni in January
I am going to have one next week and I am very nervousness I just wanted to know what it was like especially the maths and English tests and how sis it go for u any offer ? Ta

Hi, sorry for jumping in, I actually attended Brighton uni midwifery interview- 2 months ago. Good luck!! Def revise conversions- fractions, mass, volume. I think it was basic addition, subtraction etc... Distance, speed, time. The English I'm sure it was, write about recent article.
If it's anything like mine, you should revise 6cs the interview is divided into 5 different stations.
Reply 627
Hi, sorry for jumping in, I actually attended Brighton uni midwifery interview- 2 months ago. Good luck!! ef revise conversions- fractions, mass, volume. I think it was basic addition, subtraction etc... Distance, speed, time. The English I'm sure it was, write about recent article.
If it's anything like mine, you should revise 6cs the interview is divided into 5 different stations.

Thank you do much for the reply Rushelle will deff focus on those areas my maths is terrible so worried that it will let me down was the maths question multiple questioner type ?? And how did if go in ur own interview if u don't mind me asking
Original post by Izzy-88
Thank you do much for the reply Rushelle will deff focus on those areas my maths is terrible so worried that it will let me down was the maths question multiple questioner type ?? And how did if go in ur own interview if u don't mind me asking

Hi, no worries happy to help. From what I remember in early February, the maths exam wasn't multiple choice, you quickly had to work out the answers in the space of 10-15 minutes. Also: you had to work out measurement conversions- ml to litres.

I don't mind sharing my interview experience, however I don't want to influence your experience next week. I would hate if you messed up your interview based on my personal experience. (Obv I'm not saying a have this control, but especially if this is your first mid interview. I don't want my experience to be in the back of your mind.)

Do you have to learn the 6cs also? If so I don't mind sharing how the setup of the group interview: the 5 stations.
Reply 629
Hi, no worries happy to help. From what I remember in early February, the maths exam wasn't multiple choice, you quickly had to work out the answers in the space of 10-15 minutes. Also: you had to work out measurement conversions- ml to litres.

I don't mind sharing my interview experience, however I don't want to influence your experience next week. I would hate if you messed up your interview based on my personal experience. (Obv I'm not saying a have this control, but especially if this is your first mid interview. I don't want my experience to be in the back of your mind.)

Do you have to learn the 6cs also? If so I don't mind sharing how the setup of the group interview: the 5 stations.

Thanks again for the tips I understand what you mean I just wanted abit of an insight I think I have an idea il just wanted to clarify something what about the 6cs do u need to I knw what they f heard bout it but will read up on it abit more yeah could u briefly explain what the statios r bout and is that the only I intreview or do u also have individual intreview after ? and do u get sent home if u fail the maths or do I tell people on a later day ? thanks once again sorry about all the questions :smile:
Original post by Izzy-88
Thanks again for the tips I understand what you mean I just wanted abit of an insight I think I have an idea il just wanted to clarify something what about the 6cs do u need to I knw what they f heard bout it but will read up on it abit more yeah could u briefly explain what the statios r bout and is that the only I intreview or do u also have individual intreview after ? and do u get sent home if u fail the maths or do I tell people on a later day ? thanks once again sorry about all the questions :smile:

no you go through the entire day, regardless if you pass/fail maths or literacy, they'll update your ucas at a later date. For me I had to wait 4-5 weeks after the interview. I found an old email I sent to my teacher about my interview, it more detailed I could private message you what I sent. I've just briefly described the five stations, not sure if it'll be helpful.

The first station was about equality- just had to turn over two pics & explain the inequalities they face in modern society. & why equality is important.
second station involved reading a mount board- pics relating to midwifery: explain in detail these pics.
third station was about ethics- I had a story: if a friend gave you a product with gelatine & your a vegetarian. What would you do?
fourth station- about 6cs (what would be the most challenging, and what is the most important.)
Fifth station was about replenish. (Can't remember, this station only bits & pieces).

The five stations are marked out of 30.

please realise my interview was in feb, yours we'll prob change.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 631
no you go through the entire day, regardless if you pass/fail maths or literacy, they'll update your ucas at a later date. For me I had to wait 4-5 weeks after the interview. I found an old email I sent to my teacher about my interview, it more detailed I could private message you what I sent. I've just briefly described the five stations, not sure if it'll be helpful.

The first station was about equality- just had to turn over two pics & explain the inequalities they face in modern society. & why equality is important.
second station involved reading a mount board- pics relating to midwifery: explain in detail these pics.
third station was about ethics- I had a story: if a friend gave you a product with gelatine & your a vegetarian. What would you do?
fourth station- about 6cs (what would be the most challenging, and what is the most important.)
Fifth station was about replenish. (Can't remember, this station only bits & pieces).

The five stations are marked out of 30.

please realise my interview was in feb, yours we'll prob change.

Thank you sooooo much I am ever so gratefull you have been so much help your right it probably would be different scenarioes but at least I got a rough idea can brush up on things. Although it sounds as if its going to b tough to impress if its a group activity
I guess if its meant to b it will b all to best with your application as well let u knw how it goes for me Ta :smile:
Thank you!! I just think the most important thing to remember, is everything you stand to lose, even when you feel burnt out. - still revise, read the notes, do the assignments etc...

I would def pursue the biology, a lot of unis recommend biology or human biology. I know the college I attend allow you to retake/sit alevels for free between the ages of 16-19. Not sure whether all colleges allow this. How's your btec, is it 12 or 18 units?

No problem, just private message me when ever you're ready to re write your personal statement. (I'll try and help, not an expert haha!!) :biggrin::biggrin:

Believe me I know how useless teachers can be in terms of helping NHS students. At my college a couple students received five rejections, due their personal statement. All the tutor did was check for spelling mistakes, really? How about offering advice, making sure the personal statement flows & points out every key detail of midwifery. It's ridiculous, and pure laziness. I personally think teachers are more equipped to help students, who plan on studying English or business. Courses which are £9000 a year & students can receive a conditional or unconditional offer without an interview.

I need to calm down haha!! I know how frustrated you can feel, when there's no support, and you have to figure things out yourself. Just an insight when applying to uni next year, I remember a couple girls saying certain unis are no longer considering access course students from 2015. - it's up to you if purse the course tho obv.

You're more than welcome! That is definitely true! It's better to know that I've tried than to have given up!

I definitely want to! I think it is 12 units I'm not really sure and I believe as you said I am able to do it for free. I just need to look at good colleges!!

Oh thank you so much! I'm sure you'll be a great help! You've helped me so much already!☺️ I think I'll start Julyish! Hopefully by then I will have a HCA job or something!

That is exactly the same with my college! I don't understand why they chose the job? Most of them are so young too and you can just tell they're not infested! Checking spelling mistakes is pointless when a student can ask a number if people to do that! No advice is give whatsoever! I definitely agree with you there! With NHS students they just don't bother! It's so frustrating!

Haha I don't blame you though, because they're doing behind! It makes everything so much harder! No way😔 it's so annoying how each year there's new rules, expectations etcetera makes it so hard for all of us!

Posted from TSR Mobile
You're more than welcome! That is definitely true! It's better to know that I've tried than to have given up!

I definitely want to! I think it is 12 units I'm not really sure and I believe as you said I am able to do it for free. I just need to look at good colleges!!

Oh thank you so much! I'm sure you'll be a great help! You've helped me so much already!☺️ I think I'll start Julyish! Hopefully by then I will have a HCA job or something!

That is exactly the same with my college! I don't understand why they chose the job? Most of them are so young too and you can just tell they're not infested! Checking spelling mistakes is pointless when a student can ask a number if people to do that! No advice is give whatsoever! I definitely agree with you there! With NHS students they just don't bother! It's so frustrating!

Haha I don't blame you though, because they're doing behind! It makes everything so much harder! No way������ it's so annoying how each year there's new rules, expectations etcetera makes it so hard for all of us!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha like I said I'll try xx. You'll def have a HCA job there so easy to come by, if you know the right websites obv. I was actually on a Facebook group the other day, apparently some colleges get you to sign a consent form: pretty much saying it's not there problem, if you don't get a uni offer for midwifery. Just shows how clueless these colleges are, and how unwilling they are to help- pick your college wisely next year.

Let's not get go into the entry requirements, who knows what unis will ask next year- making it more and more impossible for students. Prob all A*s haha.

I know I hated anyone who suggested this to me, because I knew my passion was midwifery & only midwifery, but would you consider doing the 3 yr adult nursing then the 18 month midwifery course as an alternative if next yr doesn't go to plan? I know I literally wanted to slap anyone who said that, because I viewed it as people weren't respecting my ambition, but would you consider it?
(edited 9 years ago)
Officially have an unconditional offer, as of this morning!!!
Haha like I said I'll try xx. You'll def have a HCA job there so easy to come by, if you know the right websites obv. I was actually on a Facebook group the other day, apparently some colleges get you to sign a consent form: pretty much saying it's not there problem, if you don't get a uni offer for midwifery. Just shows how clueless these colleges are, and how unwilling they are to help- pick your college wisely next year.

Let's not get go into the entry requirements, who knows what unis will ask next year- making it more and more impossible for students. Prob all A*s haha.

I know I hated anyone who suggested this to me, because I knew my passion was midwifery & only midwifery, but would you consider doing the 3 yr adult nursing then the 18 month midwifery course as an alternative if next yr doesn't go to plan? I know I literally wanted to slap anyone who said that, because I viewed it as people weren't respecting my ambition, but would you consider it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi everyone! Has anyone here applied for Queens University belfast! and has anyone heard from them yet whether it be rejection or offer?

No idea what that says haha😶😶😶😶
No idea what that says haha������������������������

Haha I'm so sorry for the blank message, my phone was acting up!!!! :s-smilie: Good to hear hunnie! I hope so, I have been applying with the website you gave me and the NHS website. I'm not really keen on working with the elderly as a HCA, but I guess whatever gives me experience really.. Beggars cant be choosers.. No way?! What the actual f***? It is their fault! They do not put enough effort when it comes to the studying/assignments, personal statements or back up plan yet they do not want to take any blame? Complete joke to me!

Haha I agree lets not! Oh gosh that would be the worst for me, I don't even know what I would do if they asked for that! It's so unfair for us and the years below us!

I am exactly the same! They don't seem to understand that college is tiring, draining enough and especially because I am not enjoying college and its only for two years how would I cope with 3 years of something I have NO interest in? I am not sure hun? :s-smilie: I would hate to have to take another gap year but then with adult nursing I just know I wouldn't be able to cope and I would feel like I've spent 3 years learning to come an adult nurse something I am not intrested in and then 18 months of learning my dream career, but maybe my views will change (I highly doubt it haha) yourself? Would you consider it?
Haha I'm so sorry for the blank message, my phone was acting up!!!! :s-smilie: Good to hear hunnie! I hope so, I have been applying with the website you gave me and the NHS website. I'm not really keen on working with the elderly as a HCA, but I guess whatever gives me experience really.. Beggars cant be choosers.. No way?! What the actual f***? It is their fault! They do not put enough effort when it comes to the studying/assignments, personal statements or back up plan yet they do not want to take any blame? Complete joke to me!

Haha I agree lets not! Oh gosh that would be the worst for me, I don't even know what I would do if they asked for that! It's so unfair for us and the years below us!

I am exactly the same! They don't seem to understand that college is tiring, draining enough and especially because I am not enjoying college and its only for two years how would I cope with 3 years of something I have NO interest in? I am not sure hun? :s-smilie: I would hate to have to take another gap year but then with adult nursing I just know I wouldn't be able to cope and I would feel like I've spent 3 years learning to come an adult nurse something I am not intrested in and then 18 months of learning my dream career, but maybe my views will change (I highly doubt it haha) yourself? Would you consider it?

I totally get what you mean- I went for training with one nursing home, and during the training they discuss what happens when a patient is expected to die. You have to follow all these procedures, closing their eyes, brushing their hair, cover their body with bedding, only their head is showing. Then you tidy the room for the undertakers & relatives. I think that's too much for anyone to handle. I mean some HCA assistant jobs- you can work with children, at the end of the day any care on your personal statement will look good. It's def something which initially put me off tho.

HCA jobs aren't everything, there's always sure start centres (some are closing), or volunteering at birth-centres. Anything with pregnant women, unis will love you!!

I can't remember if I asked if you lived in London- I know kingston hospital you can volunteer on the postnatal ward. I used to up until I had all my interview. (If you don't live in London ignore what I just said). But I'm sure any local hospital will expect you 18+.

I feel so sorry for everyone applying next year, I know some unis have increased the GCSEs entry requirements English Lang & Maths to B. Further restricting where students can apply, it's not fair at all. Then you get the student midwives who can't take the pressure of the course & drop out. Completely wasting a space for another person!!

No I could never pursue adult nursing, I know in sixth form my health and social teacher told me I should. Then my aunt who's been a nurse for 20+ years said the same thing. Like you said I could never pursue a degree I had no interest.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending