The Student Room Group

Have I bitten off more than I can chew?

Okay for my AS choices I originally picked Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Biology then later added Further maths because it was recommend to me at enrollment. I've only been at college two days and yes it does seem like a giant leap from GCSE but so far I'm enjoying my subjects and I'm trying to keep organised with my work and stuff so I don't fall behind.

Although I feel fine about everything, everyone I talk to keeps commenting on how hard my choices are - yes I am aware they're but it's really stressing me out because I'm starting to doubt if I am going to be able to come out with the A grades I want and I don't really want to drop any of my subjects.

I would really appreciate if anyone who has done these AS' before to give me some advice and tell me how they found them overall.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
That's exactly like me!! Except I'm doing mostly GCSEs and one AS (sorry I can't help you), hope it helps that I empathise
Reply 2
Original post by hedwig8
That's exactly like me!! Except I'm doing mostly GCSEs and one AS (sorry I can't help you), hope it helps that I empathise

Haha it's okay. It's just I feel like if I put the effort and time in I can do well but part of me is starting to doubt whether that'll be enough. What GCSE's are you doing?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
I haven't done these at AS but I know somebody that took these exact 5. He got A's in everything at AS, dropped Chemistry and Biology at A2 and went on to get A*A*A.

Obviously it's very challenging and you should only take on 5 AS levels if you feel you can really cope. Having 5 doesn't benefit you much though as most unis only take 3 A2s and occasionally one AS level. It would definitely be a struggle but if you're up for it then why not?
You'll certainly be having a more challenging college experience than all your friends doing art and photography, but many students do go down the sciences + maths route. If you think you're committed then it's very possible, if not then you'll likely struggle because those subjects are definitely not a free-ride.
Reply 5
Just because other people say your choices are hard doesn't mean they are hard to you. Different people have different strengths. Believe in yourself.
Reply 6
I'm in a similar situation but with German instead of Bio. I think that, at the end of the day, you know your strengths and if you think you can cope then just go for it. Don't worry about other people's opinions, if they haven't done those subjects themselves then they don't really know how hard it'll be. Good luck with your A Levels :smile:
I did those exact subjects at As level last year, and yeah I would agree that they are a jump from GCSE but they are MANAGEABLE and doable by anybody. They're difficult to get good grades in if you don't put consistent effort in, but if you do out in consistent work from day 1, you'll find them a lot easier than you thought. Out of them all, chemistry is the one that probably requiressp the most revision as there's a lot of memory. For biology, practice how science works (graph interpretation etc) and for physics and maths, just practice and practice. Just keep your head in the game and you'll make it :smile:
sorry for spelling mistakes on IPad.
Reply 8
It's going to be difficult, or it would for me anyway. I don't know how smart or organised you are though, so I can't really judge on how you'd handle it. However, five AS levels is a handful and in my opinion, Further Maths is a bit unnecessary. Unless you're doing a very maths orientated degree at uni, I don't see why you'd need Further Maths on top of regular maths. Also, you should take into account what you want to do at uni. I had a peek at your profile and saw you're considering perhaps pharmacy, in that case bio and chem are a must, maths is preferable and perhaps you could go for an essay based subject rather than FM, say English Lit or History. Staring at formulas and equations all day..not fun :biggrin: An essay based subject shows a bit more diversity I think. But of course at the end of the day it's your life :smile:

Good luck with whatever you choose :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by Physicsrules23
I did those exact subjects at As level last year, and yeah I would agree that they are a jump from GCSE but they are MANAGEABLE and doable by anybody.

Anybody?..:flutter:

I wouldn't even attempt those subjects. I scraped a C in my science GCSE:eyeball: and you're right...I can almost feel Biology, Physics, Chemistry, Maths and Further Maths A-level potential burning up in my bones:horse:
Original post by Katie97
Anybody?..:flutter:

I wouldn't even attempt those subjects. I scraped a C in my science GCSE:eyeball: and you're right...I can almost feel Biology, Physics, Chemistry, Maths and Further Maths A-level potential burning up in my bones:horse:

Lol, yeah anybody or almost anybody, as long as they work really hard. Try to be optimistic :smile:
You chose those AS levels because you thought you'd be good at them, and during enrolment the person who recommended further maths as well, thought you'd be capable of it.

I think when you start AS level the whole organisation and getting into a stricter working habit are two of the biggest challenges coming from GCSE. Try and power through and both should become second instinct by the first half term. If however it's making you miserable or you want more free time then four AS levels is more than enough..

Regarding your subject choices and e amount you're taking, which university and course are you hoping to apply to?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TinM
Okay for my AS choices I originally picked Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Biology then later added Further maths because it was recommend to me at enrollment. I've only been at college two days and yes it does seem like a giant leap from GCSE but so far I'm enjoying my subjects and I'm trying to keep organised with my work and stuff so I don't fall behind.

Although I feel fine about everything, everyone I talk to keeps commenting on how hard my choices are - yes I am aware they're but it's really stressing me out because I'm starting to doubt if I am going to be able to come out with the A grades I want and I don't really want to drop any of my subjects.

I would really appreciate if anyone who has done these AS' before to give me some advice and tell me how they found them overall.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Did everything but further maths but I knew some people who did further maths also. I didn't manage to get the A grades I wanted but I didn't put the effort in until it was too late.

Don't let people saying how difficult it is overwhelm you, just work hard and if you get stuck at any point get as much help as you can. My only advice really is just work really really hard, they are very demanding subjects and if you want good grades you really can't afford to not be doing a couple of hours a night of reading/homework/revision.

Do past papers earlier than your mock exam too, you can find exam questions for specific topics once you have completed a section. I found the change in the exam style most difficult, make sure you know how to answer A level questions, they are much different from GCSE.

Good luck I hope you keep motivated and achieve the grades you want :smile:
Original post by Hunarench95
You chose those AS levels because you thought you'd be good at them, and during enrolment the person who recommended further maths as well, thought you'd be capable of it.

I think when you start AS level the whole organisation and getting into a stricter working habit are two of the biggest challenges coming from GCSE. Try and power through and both should become second instinct by the first half term. If however it's making you miserable or you want more free time then four AS levels is more than enough..

Regarding your subject choices and e amount you're taking, which university and course are you hoping to apply to?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Couldn't agree more! Wish I'd realised this before January exams :frown:
Reply 14
Original post by Physicsrules23
Lol, yeah anybody or almost anybody, as long as they work really hard. Try to be optimistic :smile:

Haha I think so too. :smile:
Reply 15
Original post by Hunarench95

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm kind of split between chemical engineering and pharmacy right now

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Original post by TinM

Posted from TSR Mobile

I did the same subjects as you.

To be honest, they were a lot of work and it was quite stressful at times. I really did enjoy them all though, which helped a lot. If you genuinely have a passion for those subjects and put the work in, I'm sure you'll be fine. If it does get too much though, then you could always drop one (and there's nothing wrong with that at all!). :smile:

Good luck!
Reply 17
Original post by usycool1
I did the same subjects as you.

To be honest, they were a lot of work and it was quite stressful at times. I really did enjoy them all though, which helped a lot. If you genuinely have a passion for those subjects and put the work in, I'm sure you'll be fine. If it does get too much though, then you could always drop one (and there's nothing wrong with that at all!). :smile:

Good luck!

Thank you! And I'm genuinely enjoying the subjects so far but if it does get too much I may drop further maths.

Posted from TSR Mobile
M+FM are easy at AS especially so don't worry too much about those. Chemistry is harder though.

Quick Reply

Latest