The Student Room Group

London is a dystopian hellhole

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Mr_Vain
Imagine the daily displays of squalor and inescapable cyclical poverty. The failed immigration policies of governance; your neighbours now aliens. But love thy neighbour? Well, in your world "love" may be a universal language, but in the real world, for practicality, our language is English.
Your national identity so lost, we don't have that anymore... English? No such thing. A dirty word.

The exorbitant displays of excess from the privileged few, foreign money. Who cares where it came from? Depression is everywhere with the invisible tagline being "Not enough". Nothing is ever enough in this vanity fair. People are always wanting to take more and to consume more. They are always hungry but their wants will never be satisfied. Your employers know this, you will never starve, but you will do anything to maintain your current lifestyle or better yourself. So they are clever. They use you, they give you enough to maintain but never to leave your career; teasing you with the upper crust whilst you're locked in the heart of darkness. You look at the man next to you on your daily commute, he knows, you know. The key has been thrown away.

The young? These people are desperate to be "someone", on an endless quest to self-define and be validated. You're unique right? Have something that makes you different to everybody else?
But, they are no one, they are a statistic. No matter what their Twitter taglines suggest. The only thing that they can cling on to is their hopes, a more rational man would perhaps identify that as delusion. Morphine for the mind.

Inspire a generation?

Sounds as though you should probably go visit somewhere like Mexico city and get yourself some perspective. Either that or you just really hate urban living, because London is the best city I've ever been to.
You can't describe London in an Statement. It's far too big and the social political economic situations vary greatly.

That being said, I wouldn't want to live in any part of London at all. Not appealing in the slightest.
Reply 42
Original post by Mr_Vain
Much of the UK is actually pretty decent to live in, even though I am a bit of a malcontent and like to complain (but that is what makes me British lol). I lived for a few years (when I was a kid) in Cornwall, and it was just a world away. I just get the feeling that so much of the negativity about the country originates from London. To me, it epitomizes what is wrong with the UK.

I completely agree. Funnily enough I went Newquay for a week surfing recently and it is so much nicer the people the towns in Cornwall the whole way of life is just incomparable to London.

Posted from TSR Mobile
wat does dysotopian mean
Reply 44
Original post by CM19
I find Hornchurch and Upminster strange little places. It's full of diverse people, but as an 'ethnic minority' I feel that I stick out more than I would like. There are some lovely places, some places which are more affluent, but you go down the road and end up in Romford and it's a different story. Equally, I find East Ham like a completely different country. I feel so uncomfortable there.

My hometown of Bexley is quite nice, I've never seen any extremes. My school was nice, the children I teach piano to are nice. However, you go down the road and end up in Welling or Eltham, both of which have bad reputations. I think when you live close to the city, you see more diversity.

In the midst of business women and men in Russel Square, tourists and visitors spending huge amounts of money in the expensive shops of the Brunswick, you see beggars sitting on the floor asking for a pound. On the same street you see student workers asking to donate money to children in need.

I love London, I love where I live and I couldn't imagine living anywhere else. But it definately has it faults. If you think about it ... where doesn't have faults?

I agree, Hornchurch Elm Park and Upminster and the area around here are kinda one offs, but I feel extremely uncomfortable in certain areas on the district line as I said, East Ham, parts of Plaistow, Bethnal Green.

I agree everywhere has its faults, but I simply cannot wait to move down to Brighton for uni. Its so much nicer there. I couldnt live in London, it has its perks don't get me wrong, but I just hate it. It doesn't feel like I belong here. I've been to other countries like Canada and stayed in Montreal and its so much nicer. Vancouver too. Just not keen on the city

Quick Reply

Latest