The Student Room Group

Marks and Spencer

Scroll to see replies

I recently went to an assessment day and got told on the spot I got the job. Really happy but it's a temp position. Read some rubbish stuff about how M&S treat their temps and how they don't take on their temps as perm staff, they just hire new temps.

I've applied for M&S soo many times and always failed the online assessment but this time I actually passed. I don't really want to turn it down but I have been offered a perm job elsewhere (less money, hours and further away).

Does anyone know of people that have gone temp to perm in M&S recently? I know I will be getting a uniform but will I also get a badge?

It's contracted for 12 weeks and they haven't actually said why. Maternity cover, summer staff etc. I did work for Tesco and they seem to hire everyone on a 12 week contract instead of a probationary period. Do M&S do this?

Thanks for any help
Original post by Plant85
I recently went to an assessment day and got told on the spot I got the job. Really happy but it's a temp position. Read some rubbish stuff about how M&S treat their temps and how they don't take on their temps as perm staff, they just hire new temps.

I've applied for M&S soo many times and always failed the online assessment but this time I actually passed. I don't really want to turn it down but I have been offered a perm job elsewhere (less money, hours and further away).

Does anyone know of people that have gone temp to perm in M&S recently? I know I will be getting a uniform but will I also get a badge?

It's contracted for 12 weeks and they haven't actually said why. Maternity cover, summer staff etc. I did work for Tesco and they seem to hire everyone on a 12 week contract instead of a probationary period. Do M&S do this?

Thanks for any help

Of course you'll get a name badge. Anyway it's also pretty obvious that some temps go on to be permanent staff or they'd be at risk of suddenly having no workers. I went 4 weeks, 12 weeks, permanent, then moved on to a job elsewhere where you're respected.
Original post by paniking_and_not_revising
Is it normal for M&S to reject you straight on the spot? Most supermarkets and stores have rejected me after the interview/assessment.

At what stage did you actually get rejected? On the online assessment?
Original post by gemmatovey
At what stage did you actually get rejected? On the online assessment?

At the in store assessment.

I missed the special offer in the role play.
At the in store assessment.

I missed the special offer in the role play.

In which case, yes. If they'd interviewed other candidates and they scored higher than you then they would reject you because others had performed better and they would have likely known this. That is my assumption anyway!
Sorry to hear that you didn't get the job.
In which case, yes. If they'd interviewed other candidates and they scored higher than you then they would reject you because others had performed better and they would have likely known this. That is my assumption anyway!
Sorry to hear that you didn't get the job.

Hm ok. I was just wondering because I've never had a rejection pretty much AT the interview lol.
Hm ok. I was just wondering because I've never had a rejection pretty much AT the interview lol.

Like I said, it was likely the case that they knew others had performed better and therefore they probably didn't see much point in leaving you hanging if they already knew that you weren't going to get the job.
The way they do the role play is by a score and so if you had a lower score than others it would be pretty clear to them.
Got a temp job at m&s and waiting for my email now about the contract. Does anyone know whether they check references? Never had a proper job before and left college two years ago (I'm at uni) so not sure who to put down as my reference.
Original post by talkingbody
Got a temp job at m&s and waiting for my email now about the contract. Does anyone know whether they check references? Never had a proper job before and left college two years ago (I'm at uni) so not sure who to put down as my reference.

Have they asked you for references? If you need some I'd use academic references from uni. Maybe a lecturer or tutor or something that knows you well?
Have they asked you for references? If you need some I'd use academic references from uni. Maybe a lecturer or tutor or something that knows you well?

In the online offer you have to fill out bank details, emergency contacts, references, etc I believe. Thats what it says on the welcome letter I've was given. My tutor doesn't know me very well! Would they actually contact them?
Has anybody got the new uniform yet?
Reply 4591
No new uniform yet!

In regards to what some previous posters were talking about - how come you may have to 'owe' M&S money when you give your notice in? How do you give your notice in without having to owe them money?

Also, I've heard things about them not paying you your first few weeks money until you hand in your notice, is that true?
Original post by jig2
No new uniform yet!

In regards to what some previous posters were talking about - how come you may have to 'owe' M&S money when you give your notice in? How do you give your notice in without having to owe them money?

Also, I've heard things about them not paying you your first few weeks money until you hand in your notice, is that true?

To avoid owing them you're better off leaving at the end of the month, when the cut off is. Therefore you have worked the full month you were paid to do and won't owe anything.

I'm not sure about that second one. I can't actually remember about that. Maybe you get paid it if you become permanent? Or at the end of your temp? Because that's from when you're paid weekly. I'm not too sure though
Original post by talkingbody
In the online offer you have to fill out bank details, emergency contacts, references, etc I believe. Thats what it says on the welcome letter I've was given. My tutor doesn't know me very well! Would they actually contact them?

Not sure if they will or not. I didn't ask the people I put down. Just use academic people you've had dealings with if you can't think of anyone else
How long does it take for m&s to email you to confirm you've got the job after getting the job on the spot after the interview?
Original post by milkyway1
How long does it take for m&s to email you to confirm you've got the job after getting the job on the spot after the interview?

Depends on how many more interviews they have to do and the process is slightly longer now (you previously got a phone call from the store confirming the job and were handed any sheets you needed and filled them in in store rather than online and through email) but it shouldn't take too long. Maybe a few days up to a week?
Depends on how many more interviews they have to do and the process is slightly longer now (you previously got a phone call from the store confirming the job and were handed any sheets you needed and filled them in in store rather than online and through email) but it shouldn't take too long. Maybe a few days up to a week?

Thanks, I got it on Wednesday and my induction is next week, it's been a few days so I got a little worried. Who should I contact if it doesn't come through by next Wednesday..?
Original post by milkyway1
Thanks, I got it on Wednesday and my induction is next week, it's been a few days so I got a little worried. Who should I contact if it doesn't come through by next Wednesday..?

Phone the store and ask to speak to anyone in recruitment and they should be able to let you know what's going on. :smile:
Hi,

I'm starting work for M&S next week, just wondering if anyone knows how the pay works.

When I worked for them one Christmas, I was paid weekly. I'm being taken on as a permanent member of staff, but will I still be paid weekly until I've finished my probationary period?

If not, does anyone know how they pay permanent staff? (Like end of the month or very 4 weeks?)

Thanks for the help :smile:
Original post by Morgan92944
Hi,

I'm starting work for M&S next week, just wondering if anyone knows how the pay works.

When I worked for them one Christmas, I was paid weekly. I'm being taken on as a permanent member of staff, but will I still be paid weekly until I've finished my probationary period?

If not, does anyone know how they pay permanent staff? (Like end of the month or very 4 weeks?)

Thanks for the help :smile:

Permanent is 10th of every month (pushed forward in the case of it falling on a weekend/bank holiday)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending