The Student Room Group

Marks and Spencer

Scroll to see replies

Reply 4680
Original post by Malayika
I had my interview today for temporary customer assistant and got the job! Feel free to ask me any questions about the role play etc

What questions did they ask you for the competency interview?

Can you briefly go through the role play scenario please?
I had my interview today for temporary customer assistant and got the job! Feel free to ask me any questions about the role play etc

Were you asked any questions about the 4 i's integrity, innovation, in touch, inspiration? If so what were they and how did you answer?
Original post by Tbx
What questions did they ask you for the competency interview?

Can you briefly go through the role play scenario please?

I was lucky in that I wasn't asked any questions at all, we just did the role play and I was offered the job when I passed! However my friend who works at a different M&S was asked questions such as her weaknesses and strengths, when she was put in a difficult situation, when she has ever helped someone etc. I researched before my interview and the majority of questions people got asked were "Why do you want to work for M&S?", "What is good customer service?". Also its a good idea to look at their Plan A project as its possible they could ask you about their guiding principles (the four I's) and when you have used them.

The interviewer basically handed me between 4-5 sheets of A4 paper, one had product information, one contained a menu for a new catering range, one had information of nearby stores and there was also stuff about online purchasing, deliveries etc. They gave me 6 minutes to read through this and take notes if I wanted, they returned and played the role of a customer who was organising a dinner party that night. Basically whatever your scenario there will most likely be something they want which is out of stock and you need to offer an alternative that they are happy with, and also try and cross sell. Just remember to be polite and apologise, smile, make eye contact, be enthusiastic and you'll be fine!
Original post by Domino85
Were you asked any questions about the 4 i's integrity, innovation, in touch, inspiration? If so what were they and how did you answer?

I wasn't asked any questions but from what I've seen, if they do ask you about them its usually something like "Explain a time when you have used them". So for in touch you could talk about a time you have been understanding/empathetic?
Hi guys :smile:

Just a quick question asking where would you be able to find your employee number? Need it to order uniform. I was expecting to see it in the online contract and offer but instead there's just a blank space? Is this just because they are currently checking references or is a phone call to HR due?

Thanks
Reply 4685
hi rrai,
i have an interview with them tomorrow.my first interview ever.can you please tell me all the answers to the questions mentioned above would be a great help thank you x
I am very nervous.they said no one to one interview it more of a team play thing.and do a bit of research on the company .
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4686
I wasn't asked any questions but from what I've seen, if they do ask you about them its usually something like "Explain a time when you have used them". So for in touch you could talk about a time you have been understanding/empathetic?

I need help got assessment tomorrow.first interview ever.no idea what are the best awnsers to why do you want to work with us and all that help please
is your employee number the number you use to log onto the tills?
I have just got a job for a Christmas temp working in the women's wear department, I read here before my interview and it helped a lot so thanks to everyone who posted their experience. I have a few questions, when do I get my uniform?, how do I access my contract as I didn't print it out at the time and now need my employee number and lastly, it's nearly been a week since I used the tills will I remember it straight away when I go back on or does it take time to get used to it after being away from them? Also when do you put the name card in the board? When you enter or do you swipe in then go back and do it?
(edited 8 years ago)
just had my induction - does anyone know the difference between the roster and the timesheet on the peoplesystem? my timesheet is blank so does that mean i don't have any hours next week?
Original post by danodell97
just had my induction - does anyone know the difference between the roster and the timesheet on the peoplesystem? my timesheet is blank so does that mean i don't have any hours next week?

Time sheet is your swipes. Roster is the hours you're due to work
Original post by gemmatovey
Time sheet is your swipes. Roster is the hours you're due to work

aah ok thanks! My roster hasn't been authorised for next week but it has for the week after? what does that mean?
Hi can someone please help - I have an M&S interview (my first ever) tomorrow. I have read up on the role-play advice but I have a burning question: if the customer is looking for an item that is out of stock and doesn't want any of the alternatives, I pretend to phone up other local stores to see if they have it in stock, right? so I'll say that the other store does indeed have plenty in stock. but what next? do I order it in for the customer, or have them go to the other store themselves and buy it??:s-smilie:

Also I don't know if I should phone other stores or suggest they order online etc, it seems really confusing. I'm terrified.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by danodell97
aah ok thanks! My roster hasn't been authorised for next week but it has for the week after? what does that mean?

Week starts on Sunday so 15/11 won't be authorised. The current week is never shown as authorised for some reason, even though it previously was shown as authorised
Original post by sunburner
Hi can someone please help - I have an M&S interview (my first ever) tomorrow. I have read up on the role-play advice but I have a burning question: if the customer is looking for an item that is out of stock and doesn't want any of the alternatives, I pretend to phone up other local stores to see if they have it in stock, right? so I'll say that the other store does indeed have plenty in stock. but what next? do I order it in for the customer, or have them go to the other store themselves and buy it??:s-smilie:

Also I don't know if I should phone other stores or suggest they order online etc, it seems really confusing. I'm terrified.

Hi

I would first suggest alternatives but if they do not want any...
You don't need to pretend to phone up another store, just mention to the customer that you can or suggest on-line delivery (there will usually be props that state local stores and their numbers and the on-line store but the customer may mention this in conversation anyway). They won't expect you to pretend to phone up another store. The "customer" will direct conversation so don't be worried that there will be an awkward silence :smile:

The role-play part only takes about 3-6 minutes. Don't panic, just be friendly and apologise for the inconvenience.

Good luck for your interview :biggrin:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by .Vanessa.
Hi

I would first suggest alternatives but if they do not want any...
You don't need to pretend to phone up another store, just mention to the customer that you can or suggest on-line delivery (there will usually be props that state local stores and their numbers and the on-line store but the customer may mention this in conversation anyway). They won't expect you to pretend to phone up another store. The "customer" will direct conversation so don't be worried that there will be an awkward silence :smile:

The role-play part only takes about 3-6 minutes. Don't panic, just be friendly and apologise for the inconvenience.

Good luck for your interview :biggrin:

thanks for your reply. I've read that other people have "offered to phone up other stores" but they haven't said whether they went on to order something for the customer or if the customer went and bought it themselves..
final question, am I expected to actually complete a sale? should the customer have purchased something by the end of the role play? :eek:

sorry, i'm just sooo nervous because i'm an anxious person and not that fast at thinking spontaneously. I don't want to be sitting there in silence trying to think up a response because I really really need this job!
Original post by sunburner
thanks for your reply. I've read that other people have "offered to phone up other stores" but they haven't said whether they went on to order something for the customer or if the customer went and bought it themselves..
final question, am I expected to actually complete a sale? should the customer have purchased something by the end of the role play? :eek:

sorry, i'm just sooo nervous because i'm an anxious person and not that fast at thinking spontaneously. I don't want to be sitting there in silence trying to think up a response because I really really need this job!

I doubt it honestly. There's always something the "customer" requests further (a lot more than in a real life customer situation as this is a test for communication skills with customers).

From experience, I didn't have to complete a sale as the customer wanted the specific item that was out of stock. All I could do was recommend alternative products, offer to phone up local stores and mention on-line delivery. If it's a food-related scenario there might be a catering service you can offer as well.

To help you with your anxiety, have you thought about learning some breathing exercises? Sounds silly but they work for me. Google or find a Youtube video if you're interested.
Before you pay you put the card into the chip and pin machine and it takes 20% off.
Can use it whenever! :smile:
Reply 4699
Hi, can someone please tell me what the dress code is for the induction. I have a dark grey blazer I wanted to wear but I read elsewhere that it has to be all black clothing.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending