The Student Room Group

Marks and Spencer

Scroll to see replies

There arnt any jobs advertised online for my local stores, but i worked last year and they told me they would be recruiting late august/early sept this year. Should i phone up?
Reply 1121
Hi, i start joining M&S 1 week ago as a part time temporary customer service assistant in training. I am contracted to work 23 hours across 4 days a week for 19 months.

Could anyone help me answering the questions?
1. Does temp staffs get paid for and booked holidays?
2. I have got 1.4 weeks for my holidays during my terms or working. If I am not taking all of the holidays, what the company is going to do with the rest of my holidays?
3.Will it influence my probation if i took any holidays?
4.And how long is my probation period?

Thanks for reply.
ckkoh
Hi, i start joining M&S 1 week ago as a part time temporary customer service assistant in training. I am contracted to work 23 hours across 4 days a week for 19 months.

2. I have got 1.4 weeks for my holidays during my terms or working. If I am not taking all of the holidays, what the company is going to do with the rest of my holidays?

Thanks for reply.

does that mean you work on the customer service desk? cos I start at M&S next week on customer service desk, I'm abit worried - not sure if i'll like it. Can u tell me what its like please?
Reply 1123
i have applied for M&S and i have an interview soon i have read that it is £5+ an hr is this correct!!:eek: :biggrin: :confused: .
I was just wondering if any1 can talk me through their interview, with Questions they asked you, and answers you gave, and also in the role play what did you do there?
Also what do i wear for the interview?

I received an email after booking the interview, the email said:

"The assessment consists of one exercise that is designed to assess your ability to deliver great customer service. There will also be an opportunity for you to talk with a member of the Marks and Spencer team during a one to one discussion where you can ask any questions you may have regarding the job. This discussion does not form part of the assessment. The whole assessment should last around an hour."

Any help would be much appreciated, I really need this job:yep: :woo:

thank you in advance
You know the discount card, if your unmarried, will it say Miss Jane Smith or do they say Mrs? ...and also if you lose it, when you get your new one, does your old one still work?

Cheers
Reply 1125
ckkoh

Thanks for reply.

Yes, temp staff get paid and booked holidays. If you do not take all of your holiday it will be allocated for you, normally at the end of your contract. It will not impact your probation period at all, and, IIRC, your probation period will last until you have done the first round of training, which took me approximately 4 weeks. The probation is actually of little worry, though, it is essentially just a way of saying "if we made a mistake and you actually suck, we can sack you with no reprecussions." I doubt if it's ever been done.

catalicious
does that mean you work on the customer service desk? cos I start at M&S next week on customer service desk, I'm abit worried - not sure if i'll like it. Can u tell me what its like please?

I have worked on the customer service desk.

There is a lot to actually learn, so you'll spend a while training first of all. A lot of it becomes kinda routine after a while, essentially your just looknig for ways to help all of the customers, be that ordering or often refunds get directed your way. The biggest problem you will face is angry customers either whose orders haven't turned up or are upset that they will not get a refund. Don't worry about them, everyone gets them. The first angry customer will get you down but after that, you kinda think "not this again." All I can say is, make sure you don't give in.

iamme2
i have applied for M&S and i have an interview soon i have read that it is £5+ an hr is this correct!!:eek: :biggrin: :confused: .
I was just wondering if any1 can talk me through their interview, with Questions they asked you, and answers you gave, and also in the role play what did you do there?
Also what do i wear for the interview?

I received an email after booking the interview, the email said:

"The assessment consists of one exercise that is designed to assess your ability to deliver great customer service. There will also be an opportunity for you to talk with a member of the Marks and Spencer team during a one to one discussion where you can ask any questions you may have regarding the job. This discussion does not form part of the assessment. The whole assessment should last around an hour."

Any help would be much appreciated, I really need this job:yep: :woo:

thank you in advance

You earn £5.75 an hour whilst you are still training. There is a pay rise scheduled in October.

My interview went as follows. I arrived, the women talked me through what they expect of an M&S customer assistant, and asked if I had any questions. She talked me through what the role play would be about and gave me many small, plastic, laminated cards with pictures of food and prices on. I had to familiarise myself with them then a lady came in claiming to want food for a works lunch in an office without cooking equipment. You have to make sure you are polite to her, keep her budget in mind and also cater to a load of different people. I don't know the exact criteria, but service style (i.e. being polite, courteous and well spoken) is more important than your actual ability.

I was then left on my own about 5 minutes when someone from HR came in and talked through what hours I would be able to do and booked me in for training, which lasted about 10 minutes then I was free to go.

Wear something relatively smart, but also not overly so. I came straight from college so I kept my shirt and trousers on, and then just through a jumper on over that.

Mos Def
You know the discount card, if your unmarried, will it say Miss Jane Smith or do they say Mrs? ...and also if you lose it, when you get your new one, does your old one still work?

Cheers

Your card will have the name you signed up with on it.

If you lose it, your old one would, in theory, be invalidated though I doubt anyone has ever checked to see whether their old one would work, to save the embarassment. If you want a second, ask in the office for a "Nominated User" card which you can get for someone living at the same address.

Hope that helps :smile:
Its 10% right?
Reply 1127
Mos Def
Its 10% right?

Nope, 20% :smile:
DavyS
Nope, 20% :smile:

Ooh nice... im a dude, but say for instance, can i use my girl friends one? .. it has her name on it etc... when i serve customers i don't really care what name it has, im just wondering if others have any reservations.
Reply 1129
thankyou so much DavyS, so they gave you the job there and then!!

they didn't ask any "why do you want to work for M&S Questions???
Reply 1130
hi!
i just read this entire thread!..but im still a bit confused!

i passed the online test and they've called me for an interview on tuesday and they said i'll be having an assessment

'The assessment consists of one exercise that is designed to assess your ability to deliver great customer service. There will also be an opportunity for you to talk with a member of the Marks and Spencer team during a one to one discussion where you can ask any questions you may have regarding the job. This discussion does not form part of the assessment. The whole assessment should last around an hour.'

its like everyone elses..and ive read what the role play will be about too, but im one of those people that get really shy and really nevous!

how do i not mess up!??

really need help!
Reply 1131
iamme2
thankyou so much DavyS, so they gave you the job there and then!!

they didn't ask any "why do you want to work for M&S Questions???

I didn't get asked those, but naturally different interviewers and stores will ask different things.

Mos Def
Ooh nice... im a dude, but say for instance, can i use my girl friends one? .. it has her name on it etc... when i serve customers i don't really care what name it has, im just wondering if others have any reservations.

What you can do and what you may do are two different things.

I quote from the T+C of the Discount card:

Employees/Nominated Users cannot borrow someone else's discount card if they do not have access to their own
Employees/Nominated Users must not sell, hire or lend their discount card to someone else.

You are not allowed to, but you may get away with it. Is it really worth the risk?

pinks
hi!
i just read this entire thread!..but im still a bit confused!

i passed the online test and they've called me for an interview on tuesday and they said i'll be having an assessment

'The assessment consists of one exercise that is designed to assess your ability to deliver great customer service. There will also be an opportunity for you to talk with a member of the Marks and Spencer team during a one to one discussion where you can ask any questions you may have regarding the job. This discussion does not form part of the assessment. The whole assessment should last around an hour.'

its like everyone elses..and ive read what the role play will be about too, but im one of those people that get really shy and really nevous!

how do i not mess up!??

really need help!

The number one priority will be to be polite, and being shy or softly spoken doesn't stop that. It doesn't hurt to ask questions. Also make sure there aren't any awkward silences. She will often ask you are a question (What could I get for the vegetarians?) and you will make a response (We do have a lovely suggestion of quiches which would fall well within your budget.) and she would respond (Well, erm...) and leave the conversation hanging. She is looking for your ability to make the customer feel welcome and part of that is making the conversation flow (If you prefer, we do have some cheese and onion rolls which make a great vegetarian alternative to sausage rolls.)

The other thing would be to brush up on your mental maths. I was asked a couple of times the running total of the items she had, and also some other quick calculations (if I got the roast chicken, would I be able to afford the crisps) and also was asked some technical things about whether you would be able to serve the frozen chicken (No - it taks a relatively long time to defrost.)

Definitely the customer service was the most important part, so the advice I would give you is listen to the interviewer; keep eye contact; keep the conversation flowing and be polite.
Fair enough...I normally let em do it as my managers didn't tell us to scrutinise they're cards etc...
Reply 1133
I worked at m&s on the bank holiday monday we had a couple of weeks ago. Does anyone know when we will get the extra pay for that?? Does it take some weeks for it to come through or something?
Reply 1134
I received my first paid which is just only 102.83 pounds. But i was contracted to work 23 hours every week and I also work on bank holiday for 5.75 hours. Why I get so little for my paid??? How they calculate it? Isn't it the pay is 5.75 an hour and one and a half on bank holiday?! Feel like I was cheated.

Can anyone answer me?
Reply 1135
We don't get paid for bank holiday until tuesday (9th) - well if you are getting paid weekly like me.. However someone I work with is waiting for payment of 2 extra days she work from almost a year ago now!

^ I work 23 hours a week and get only about £128 (each week) after deductions, however I am on £6/hr. Are you being emergency taxed?
If its your first pay then is it for your 2nd week of employment? Did you work all the hours? I think they keep your first weeks pay and induction pay until you leave/contract ends.
Reply 1136
Yes, it is the first pay of my second week of employment. I did work all the hours for that week. On the top of that, I worked 1.5 hours extra.
Like what JayneDoe said, we only get paid for bank holiday on 9th-tue, is it means that the 102 pounds that i received on this tue 2nd sept is only the salary for working 18.25hours? (23 basic+1.5 extra- 5.75 bank holidays)
Sorry, what is emergency tax? But i think even after deductions, i would not get so little paid for working 23 hours. It is quite ridiculous.

I addition, do we get our paid slip? How could I receive it?
Reply 1137
From the admin office
Reply 1138
Hi, I recently passed the assessment for a part time job as a customer assistant, and I have a few questions about the induction/training which I start tomorrow!:

1- how many people usually do it at the same time? Like are you all in a group doing the same thing?
2- What should I wear? She said I’d be given my uniform tomorrow, but do you actually wear it? (what if it doesn’t fit?!)
3- Is it usually 2 or 3 days? After the interview she said it was just Monday and Tuesday, but then I got a letter with Saturday on as well..
4- What do you actually do?!

Reply 1139
anyone?!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending